Bottled gas - euro tunnel and France

Teflontim87

Hi, me again. First time expeditionary force to France. Questions about bottled gas.

I've read the the gas of choice in France is camping gaz, not calor. I normally use red in UK, is it the same fitment on the camping gaz bottles or can I buy an adapter?

I've also read somewhere there is a restriction on how much you can take in the euro tunnel. I have a 2 bottle gas locker and normally travel with 2.

As always helpful advice (lol)

Guest machra

You are OK to travel to France with 2x bottles of gas. Eurotunnel staff will ask to see the gas bottles prior to boarding and will ensure that the gas is turned off. No worries there at all Teflontim87.

As for what gas to use, well that is a biger question and has been discussed numerous times on various forums. Calor is not available in France. If you are not going for an extented period I would take enough gas for your requirements in the bottles you have. If you are going for an extended period of time you could either look at having a refillable system fitted, Gasit or Gaslow etc so you can fill up in France, or you could purchase a French gas bottle while you are out there. The choice is yours, and again looking on the forum there are postings on both solutions. Last time I looked at Camping Gas, and I have to say it was ages ago, the bottles were very expensive, even in France, and I wouldnt go down that route.

Lastly, enjoy yourself in France, you will find it a friendly country that values the motorhomer.

You can take two bottles on the Tunnel, you just have to make sure they are turned off, they will check.

Gaz is widely available all over the continent, it is, however, expensive.

Two full 13kg will last me for 6 weeks, so you might not need to buy any.

Every country has different threads connectors etc so it is difficult to carry adaptors, even if they are all available.

A far better idea is to buy a cylinder in the country you will be spending most time in.

A French cylinder (and there is more then one sort!) can be purchased at garages and supermarkets, or sometimes they come up on ebay. Check the cylinder cage at your local re-cycling depot, it is surprising what they get in.

Gaslow or similar works very well, just fill up at the garage pumps with LPG (GPL) and it's a lot cheaper.

You can get British cylinders re-filled in Spain and Portugal but not, as far as I am aware, in France.

H

Teflontim87 - 2013-04-28 8:15 AM

Hi, me again. First time expeditionary force to France. Questions about bottled gas.

I've read the the gas of choice in France is camping gaz, not calor. I normally use red in UK, is it the same fitment on the camping gaz bottles or can I buy an adapter?

I've also read somewhere there is a restriction on how much you can take in the euro tunnel. I have a 2 bottle gas locker and normally travel with 2.

As always helpful advice (lol)

No problem with eurotunnel. Why would you need to buy gas in France unless you use an awfull lot. We are all differant here, I note Halli uses two 13kg bottles in six weeks, we use two 6kg bottles in six weeks although have always had Gaslow anyway, Hamilton gas are currently selling 11kg gaslow bottle for £114.00 including vat with free carraige, prices are falling for refillables.

We went to France for the whole of June last year and we had 1 x 13Kg and 1 x 11Kg bottle. I don't think we even used the whole of the 11Kg bottle in all the time we were away. When on Electric we used it plus an Electric Frying Pan/Kettle and when not on Electric we used Gas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Electric-Teppanyaki-Barbecue/dp/B003USP2WA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367160972&sr=8-6&keywords=electric+frying+pan

I know its not as good as a BBQ but it worked for us and it was still cooking outside :-D

Archived