low gas pressure ! shop needed

ips

Guest JudgeMental

A question re hoses, these SS ones surely have a rubber core? And SS an outer shell purely for protection? This is why I always stuck with rubber ones....am I wrong?

Keithl - 2013-04-29 7:19 PM

ips - 2013-04-29 6:55 PM

Keithl - 2013-04-29 6:21 PM

ips,

Do you have a rubber or Stainless Steel pigtail? I gather that there have been less (maybe none?) reported incidents with SS pigtails than rubber so just trying to understand the reason for the failure.

Keith.

Its a rubber one mate

Could have been the cause then! The gas leaches the plasticiser out of the rubber and it collects in the regulator as a form of oil and blocks the regulator. Have a read of the text down the left hand side of this page... Link to gaslow. I swapped ours for a SS as soon as I heard of the problems and (touchwood) have had no problems and ours is now 9 years old.

Keith.

This September 2011 article from the Caravan Club Magazine relates to gas regulator issues

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7832484/ccmseptechnical.pdf

Although the 2007 report from the NCC suggested that phthalates (plasticisers) were considered to have caused the problems with bulkhead-mounted regulators, Truma said that their own research had established that the chemical constituents of the 'oil' contaminant could not have come from Truma-branded gas-pigtails.

Fairly recently, Truma issued a statement saying that a) it wasn't just Truma regulators that had been failing as a result of 'blockage' and b) there continued to be instances of regulator failure due to 'oil' contamination despite the NCC installation recommendations having been followed (high-mounted regulator, short upwards-leading pigtail) and a stainless-steel pigtail being used.

Logically, if a pigtail with a stainless-steel 'core' were used, plasticisers cannot leach from that hose. If oily residue in the LPG itself is considered to be a suspect, then following the NCC recommendations should help to minimise the chance of those residues entering the regulator. Right from Square One it was apparent that Truma believed that it was the LPG itself that was to blame and Truma now markets (expensive) filters to go between the gas reservoir(s) and the regulator.

This thread may be of interest

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/73684-new-regulator/

JudgeMental - 2013-04-30 9:07 AM

A question re hoses, these SS ones surely have a rubber core? And SS an outer shell purely for protection? This is why I always stuck with rubber ones....am I wrong?

There are two sorts of stainless-steel gas hose. One has a 'rubber' core with a braided-metal outer protective cover, while the other (as marketed by Gaslow and described in the link below) has a flexible core made from stainless-steel.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Stainless_Steel_A4.pdf

Guest JudgeMental
OK got it, thanks...might have to get some...just bought some new rubber ones, but failure such a hassle if traveling.

Tracker - 2013-04-29 10:39 PM

lennyhb - 2013-04-29 10:35 PM

I've got a regulator on each bottle with the output fed into a tee, nice & simple all the hoses run at low pressure and if a regulator does fail I have a spare.

That's the old fashioned way that worked so well and problem free for half a century that the Europillocks abolished it and the Westminsterwusses went along with the Bruxellesmafia.

Progress eh? Doncha just love it!

Yep old fashion and safe, Hymer were still supplying bottle top regulators when I brought my van long after the UK changed to stupid wall mounted regulators. Only the Brits follow stupid Eurocatic rules other countries do what's best for their customers.

My next van if it comes with a silly regulator will get converted back to a nice old fashion set up.

Really don't understand people who have had problems with these wall mounted regs why they don't change back to a bottle mounted one. The sensible thing to do in my book, why replace a faulty reg & live in fear of it failing again. :D

Guest JudgeMental
Message received...why did I do it! I was a travelling and panicked... At least with bottle regulators in the unlikely event of one failing you still have gas from other bottle. But you cant have heating on when driving :-S

Archived