aires sites

John swift

aires sites  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the philosophy was, you spend some money in our town/village and we will provide you with free parking, a lot of people wont spend in aforesaid, so aforesaid now starting to charge.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike88 - 2013-05-01 9:53 AM

Your mistake Rupert was downsizing from a coachbuilt to a small 5.5 metre panel van ...

Truth be told the mistake he made was not buying a caravan - not that for one second do I see anything wrong with camping in a caravan - they are perhaps more fitting for many that have instead chosen a motorhome.

And, just out of curiosity, as he comes back to the tired old line about people being unwilling to spend money to camp time and time again, well so what?

Perhaps he could explain why it consumes him so much.

I expect that the vast majority of readers understand and respect the many and varied reasons people have for choosing to stay on or off formal sites, including aires, but dear Mr123 clearly just can't get past that it absolutely must be about the cash.

Well, OK, let's say that it is just to indulge him.

Well so what Rupert? What's it to you exactly? Does it bother you equally that people watch free-to-air TV rather than paying for subscription channels too?

Let's have it mate, once and for all, what makes it any concern of yours where people choose to stop-over and and why do you care so much?

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-01 12:43 PM

Mike88 - 2013-05-01 9:53 AM

Well, OK, let's say that it is just to indulge him.

Well so what Rupert? What's it to you exactly? Does it bother you equally that people watch free-to-air TV rather than paying for subscription channels too?

Let's have it mate, once and for all, what makes it any concern of yours where people choose to stop-over and and why do you care so much?

Truth is Crinkly i do not care but why do you and others care so much about people using sites. Only pointed out that as some have problems with aires in being so close you cannot open the doors surely the answer is do not use those that are this tight for room, seems logical to me, obviously not you though. As I have said many times i do use aires quite a lot, if they are of a decent standard, certainly not those that are tightly packed, why would anyone do that. Oh yes their is one logical reason to save money.

It is one logical reason, agreed.

I have no doubt that for some, financing stop-overs is difficult / unappealing. But if these people choose to perfectly legally stay on an aire that you yourself would find unattractive, so what?

That's not the real nub though. What you seemingly can't ever grasp is that there are dozens of other reasons why people choose to stay off formal sites. These have been pointed out to you very patiently, by very many posters, on very many occasions.

And yet you still just come back with the same old obsessive 'too tight' refrain. It is offensive and demonstrates huge ignorance.

I, and I'm sure almost everyone else in the world, couldn't care less if you yourself prefer to stay on full-facility sites or not.

Formal sites do not meet with our own needs or values, neither do most aires. The main (but not the only) reason is that we prefer to be out in the countryside amongst nature - with no other people anywhere nearby. That occasionally means that we end up in confined spaces, but confined by vegetation or drop-offs, or other natural phenomena - never by other motorhomes.

So, cutting to the chase: yes, there are some out there who can't afford / prefer not to spend their money on camping fees but once and for all: THAT IS NON OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Equally, there are more out there who just plain and simply do not want to stay on any kind of formal sites AND COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THE COST OR OTHERWISE.

Lumping everyone who has ever stayed off a formal site into your petty little 'too tight' category is idiotic.

Worse though is seeking to vilify these people time and time again with your narrow-minded prejudice.

It makes you seem really stupid.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-03 9:04 AM

It is one logical reason, agreed.

I have no doubt that for some, financing stop-overs is difficult / unappealing. But if these people choose to perfectly legally stay on an aire that you yourself would find unattractive, so what?

That's not the real nub though. What you seemingly can't ever grasp is that there are dozens of other reasons why people choose to stay off formal sites. These have been pointed out to you very patiently, by very many posters, on very many occasions.

And yet you still just come back with the same old obsessive 'too tight' refrain. It is offensive and demonstrates huge ignorance.

I, and I'm sure almost everyone else in the world, couldn't care less if you yourself prefer to stay on full-facility sites or not.

Formal sites do not meet with our own needs or values, neither do most aires. The main (but not the only) reason is that we prefer to be out in the countryside amongst nature - with no other people anywhere nearby. That occasionally means that we end up in confined spaces, but confined by vegetation or drop-offs, or other natural phenomena - never by other motorhomes.

So, cutting to the chase: yes, there are some out there who can't afford / prefer not to spend their money on camping fees but once and for all: THAT IS NON OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Equally, there are more out there who just plain and simply do not want to stay on any kind of formal sites AND COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THE COST OR OTHERWISE.

Lumping everyone who has ever stayed off a formal site into your petty little 'too tight' category is idiotic.

Worse though is seeking to vilify these people time and time again with your narrow-minded prejudice.

It makes you seem really stupid.

You really are winding yourself up Crinkly old son, you need to watch that blood pressure. I suggest you go back and read over some posts properly, for example, it was not me who bought up the to tight category. As for neither sites or most aires meeting your values I must assume from this you are one of these people who consistantly park on other peoples land without any permission and get us all a bad name, not much value their then. This is something I do care about and have mentioned in the past as it effects us all. More and more places in europe are stopping parking at any time, this is a direct result of irresponsible people like you thinking you can just park up overnight where you like.

Now on aire which is certainly no car park and might even meet the needs of crinkly, Rupert and the judge, just hope don't all come at same time. We are at Caumont Sur Garrone in the Lot, right on the banks of the canal. The pitches are individual, hardstanding with picnic benches between each one. Very peaceful, with free waste dumps and a euro for water or one hour hook-up. Nice village just round corner with shop come bar for the basics, plus of course that walks on canal. No charge to stay overnight. Well recommended for all.

My favourite aires is a former municipal camp site now totally for MHs. Huge pitches with large RVs complete with awnings, tables, chairs in fact the lot. Patrolled regularly by the police who say nothing.

On another aires police spoke to neighbour who had awning out. Was quite happy when the awning legs were attached to the clips on the MH and not on the ground????????. I fitted clips to cover this very very rare possibility of over policing.

I find aires very enjoyable but then it is everybody to their own, whatever enjoy.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Having just caught sight of my friends CC membership book, quite frankly I was staggered to see the price of many of their "club" sites that are approaching £30 a night, how on earth can they justify that, no wonder so many go over the water.

As for aires, can only concur with most comments, but worth noting we have noticed is that coastal Aires seem to be the ones favoured, and crowded by the French, get out into the sticks and you can find some real gems, enjoy. ;-)

If you want to bring cost into it,we had one trip of 42 nights that cost in total 57 Euros in aire fee's, about the same as two nights on a CC site. 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

I know there are the odd idyllic aire but they are few and far between unless your obsessive about them.... I have camped since a kid and love it, all that has changes is we are now in a van not a tent. We use Aires on route as a convenience not as a destination, simply somewhere to get our heads down or to visit something nearby. But our preference will always be for a relaxing campsite where you can spread out, cook outside and have a drink without wondering if your going to get moved on! :-D

That being said I still resent the prices charged in The UK for a pitch...so rarely holiday here. looked at doing something this weekend but cant find anything..its a joke as you have to plan way ahead...

JudgeMental - 2013-05-03 12:06 PM

I know there are the odd idyllic aire but they are few and far between unless your obsessive about them.... I have camped since a kid and love it, all that has changes is we are now in a van not a tent. We use Aires on route as a convenience not as a destination, simply somewhere to get our heads down or to visit something nearby. But our preference will always be for a relaxing campsite where you can spread out, cook outside and have a drink without wondering if your going to get moved on! :-D

That being said I still resent the prices charged in The UK for a pitch...so rarely holiday here. looked at doing something this weekend but cant find anything..its a joke as you have to plan way ahead...

In total agreement with this view Aires for the odd night , but camp sites mainly.

i still find it odd, that people who pay £ thousands, and want to stay in FREE aires. I know lots of them are starting to charge, but some are nearly as much as ACSI sites

Just my view

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-05-03 12:24 PM

In total agreement with this view Aires for the odd night , but camp sites mainly.

i still find it odd, that people who pay £ thousands, and want to stay in FREE aires. I know lots of them are starting to charge, but some are nearly as much as ACSI sites

Just my view

PJay

Some fine municipal sites around and they not much more then some aires...Free aires wont last anyway, because as soon as the municipalities that pay from them realize that motorhomers a mean and begrudging bunch in general, and it wont bring the sort of benefits to the community envisaged, the automatic gates and charging will come and I see this as only fair...and can only laugh when people object....

Guest 1footinthegrave

At the end of the day we all want something different, when we go over the water we go there to "tour" as opposed to "sitting". The idea of staying put on one site would bore us to tears, one of the main reasons we gave up packaged holidays to travel in our own self catering room on wheels. We are almost always only looking for somewhere to put our head down for the night, and aires suit that purpose very well, but the occasional ACSI or Municipal site stop adds to the mix,and to catch up on clothes washing.

For us it's more about the journey, and very little to do with the destination, so much so that we rarely know where we will head to, and one of the reasons we never "tour" the UK, there simply isn't the option to have that flexibility,it's all about trying to phone ahead to ensure you have got somewhere that night, I really can't be arsed, and I'm not about to pay £30 a night just for a few hours kip and be told I have to be there by a certain time. .:-(

Guest JudgeMental

1 foot, The only time I will consider staying for a long time in one place is out of season in Spain. Primarily because I am on my own (wife still works) and prefer to be with my wife when touring...dont really like being alone but may as well be semi miserable in decent weather...

would be in Spain now with my mate Syd but to much going on, so September instead. We always "tour and stay" when we go long haul as its nice to relax at the end of a busy tour. and now that kids not with us we can do that again in the van. India at Christmas was great, planning Sri Lanka for this December.. Israel for June...and Italy for summer.. and as said Spain for September :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-03 12:36 PM

PJay - 2013-05-03 12:24 PM

Just my view

PJay

Some fine municipal sites around and they not much more then some aires...Free aires wont last anyway, because as soon as the municipalities that pay from them realize that motorhomers a mean and begrudging bunch in general, and it wont bring the sort of benefits to the community envisaged, the automatic gates and charging will come and I see this as only fair...and can only laugh when people object....

I think Eddie many if us brits don't really understand the ethos behind French Aire system, you know as well as anyone the idea that even now Aires are provided right outside a site is commonplace and seems completely at odds from a UK perspective, and we recently went to a brand new one in the Somme which was free right outside a commercial site. My guess is that the French regard the provision of an Aire as part and parcel of the French identity, and possibly see it as a reciprocal provision to allow the French easy accessibility to allow them to enjoy their country, so perhaps the idea is rooted in the freedom to roam, and long may it remain so, unlike the UK. :-(

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-03 11:17 AM

If you want to bring cost into it,we had one trip of 42 nights that cost in total 57 Euros in aire fee's, about the same as two nights on a CC site. 8-)

Just make Henry cringe in 2011 we did 22 nights for 20€.

And before you spout off Henry we were in the Massif Central only about 3 sites in the whole area open in September turned up at some that were open according to the book but were either closed or only open to the permanent residents. The few that were open were not where we wanted to be.

lennyhb - 2013-05-03 3:49 PM

And before you spout off Henry we were in the Massif Central only about 3 sites in the whole area open in September turned up at some that were open according to the book but were either closed or only open to the permanent residents. The few that were open were not where we wanted to be.

Know the central massif pretty well, as i do most of the mountain areas of western europe, and agree not much open from the end of September on. So what, i can turn that around and point out no aires at all any time in places like the Tarn Gorge and hardly any in the rhone alps, it matters not much as i am willing to use both if required.

My advise to you is buy an Aires book and a Acsi site book and in our case we have the Bord Atlas from Vicarious Books for both Germany and France :-D then you can decide which area you fancy and see what is on offer, we are very flexible some Aires are lovely and do come with facilities if not we use our own! or a camp site and there are a lot of Municipals that are good as well :-D this year will be a learning curve for us as we have downsized to a 6.00 van with only a very small bathroom/shower! but as we have managed with a lot less when we started camping in a tent a very long time ago ;-) Im sure we will be fine.

Good luck with your travels relax and enjoy.

C

JudgeMental - 2013-05-03 1:00 PM

1 foot, The only time I will consider staying for a long time in one place is out of season in Spain. Primarily because I am on my own (wife still works) and prefer to be with my wife when touring...dont really like being alone but may as well be semi miserable in decent weather...

would be in Spain now with my mate Syd but to much going on, so September instead. We always "tour and stay" when we go long haul as its nice to relax at the end of a busy tour. and now that kids not with us we can do that again in the van. India at Christmas was great, planning Sri Lanka for this December.. Israel for June...and Italy for summer.. and as said Spain for September :-D

France/Spain for 4 months last Autumn, few spring trips here, Egypt/Jordan two weeks ago, south coast for two weeks now over for the moselle and then south to med via/bodesse/Garda/Venice/Florence/Pisa etc......back mid July then off to Fjiords, back for two weeks then .........boring being retired, but don't like to let on.

Ps we like Aires, sites and wilding where appropriate, we also drive a coachbuilt but might get an A class or a PVC, we also drive a Swift which goes very well, layout suits us, sufficient payload for our needs and seems to be able to withstand 5 or 6 k touring miles each year.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-05-03 6:39 PM

Know the central massif pretty well, as i do most of the mountain areas of western europe, and agree not much open from the end of September on. So what, i can turn that around and point out no aires at all any time in places like the Tarn Gorge and hardly any in the rhone alps, it matters not much as i am willing to use both if required.

God knows where we stayed in the Tarn Gorge then :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-03 7:33 PM

rupert123 - 2013-05-03 6:39 PM

God knows where we stayed in the Tarn Gorge then :D

Must have been a site by mistake.

The thing is that Aires will make money for communities. Its not like they are five van CL sites like here. Most are probably cheap to run and an Aire the size of a decent sized CL can probably fit 50 vans!

Even if everyone just bought a few provisions and some fuel its pumping money into the local and national economy. They spend more though. You just have to read the comments on Camping Car infos and they are always recommended local eateries, shops or attractions.

I dont think there are many we have stopped on where we havent spent money.

Lets face it as well, most of us spend most of our motorhoming time in France. Lets say I am in France for two months every year. Thats at least £2K spent in France whatever I spend it on.

There are plenty of fantastic Aires but you need to do your homework and not just using the aires book.

My dear Rupert, I’m genuinely not sure whether you just don’t grasp the concept, much like that of homophones, or if you simply enjoy maintaining the rather unpleasant online persona you have created.

I do read posts properly which is why I know that on countless occasions on countless threads over the past few years you have made innumerable references to the reason those choosing not to stay on formal sites is simply because they are too tight. Denying it seems rather odd.

Regarding you other point, I do not, and have not parked on other people's land without their permission, there are enough places to which the public has legitimate access to make this unnecessary, not that I would want to trespass anyway, I respect people's property rights. If you like I can PM you 3 splendid spots right near to Beddgelert so you can see for yourself the kind of place we like to stay.

It may have escaped your attention but it is generally quite legal to park up overnight in places to which the public have lawful vehicular access.

I do genuinely agree though that some very narrow-minded bigots, especially prone to prejudice, may resent others perfectly legally parking a single 'van overnight in a public place. Strangely, when pushed, this particular type of person is normally utterly unable to explain why they are so angry and resentful.

I'm not persuaded that it's necessary to modify my chosen motorhoming style just to appease a few dingbats. I could be won over though, I have an open mind.

I get the various reasons why different motorhomers like sites, why they like aires, and why they like to stay off any kind of formally designated stopover area. I think most on here get it too. It’s genuinely a bit sad that you can’t open your mind a bit and get past the seemingly genuine mental block of believing all those who do not wish to stay on designated areas make that choice exclusively because they are skinflints. Sadder still that you try to pour your Daily Mail style scorn on them.

Oh, and thanks for the concern regarding my health but my resting pulse was 39bpm this morning and I’m just back from knocking out an 18 min 5K at my local Park Run. I suspect my blood pressure is OK.

Guest 1footinthegrave
crinklystarfish - 2013-05-04 11:26 AM

My dear Rupert, I’m genuinely not sure whether you just don’t grasp the concept, much like that of homophones, or if you simply enjoy maintaining the rather unpleasant online persona you have created.

I do read posts properly which is why I know that on countless occasions on countless threads over the past few years you have made innumerable references to the reason those choosing not to stay on formal sites is simply because they are too tight. Denying it seems rather odd.

Regarding you other point, I do not, and have not parked on other people's land without their permission, there are enough places to which the public has legitimate access to make this unnecessary, not that I would want to trespass anyway, I respect people's property rights. If you like I can PM you 3 splendid spots right near to Beddgelert so you can see for yourself the kind of place we like to stay.

It may have escaped your attention but it is generally quite legal to park up overnight in places to which the public have lawful vehicular access.

I do genuinely agree though that some very narrow-minded bigots, especially prone to prejudice, may resent others perfectly legally parking a single 'van overnight in a public place. Strangely, when pushed, this particular type of person is normally utterly unable to explain why they are so angry and resentful.

I'm not persuaded that it's necessary to modify my chosen motorhoming style just to appease a few dingbats. I could be won over though, I have an open mind.

I get the various reasons why different motorhomers like sites, why they like aires, and why they like to stay off any kind of formally designated stopover area. I think most on here get it too. It’s genuinely a bit sad that you can’t open your mind a bit and get past the seemingly genuine mental block of believing all those who do not wish to stay on designated areas make that choice exclusively because they are skinflints. Sadder still that you try to pour your Daily Mail style scorn on them.

Oh, and thanks for the concern regarding my health but my resting pulse was 39bpm this morning and I’m just back from knocking out an 18 min 5K at my local Park Run. I suspect my blood pressure is OK.

In case Rupert 123 finds himself down the Tarn Gorge way again.

Route du Causse Parking sous le cimetière

48000 Florac

Type of area : FREE Municipal stopover ;-)

Archived