aires sites

John swift

aires sites  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In addition to the above, there is also a very good FREE aire at Ispanac, at the eastern end of the Tarn Gorge and, on our way from there to Millau last year, we passed another in the Gorge that we didn't stay at. For full details of these and others, see www.campingcar-infos.com - the best site for locating aires not only in France but in the rest of Europe too.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-04 1:04 PM

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-04 11:26 AM

My dear Rupert, I’m genuinely not sure whether you just don’t grasp the concept, much like that of homophones, or if you simply enjoy maintaining the rather unpleasant online persona you have created.

I do read posts properly which is why I know that on countless occasions on countless threads over the past few years you have made innumerable references to the reason those choosing not to stay on formal sites is simply because they are too tight. Denying it seems rather odd.

Regarding you other point, I do not, and have not parked on other people's land without their permission, there are enough places to which the public has legitimate access to make this unnecessary, not that I would want to trespass anyway, I respect people's property rights. If you like I can PM you 3 splendid spots right near to Beddgelert so you can see for yourself the kind of place we like to stay.

It may have escaped your attention but it is generally quite legal to park up overnight in places to which the public have lawful vehicular access.

I do genuinely agree though that some very narrow-minded bigots, especially prone to prejudice, may resent others perfectly legally parking a single 'van overnight in a public place. Strangely, when pushed, this particular type of person is normally utterly unable to explain why they are so angry and resentful.

I'm not persuaded that it's necessary to modify my chosen motorhoming style just to appease a few dingbats. I could be won over though, I have an open mind.

I get the various reasons why different motorhomers like sites, why they like aires, and why they like to stay off any kind of formally designated stopover area. I think most on here get it too. It’s genuinely a bit sad that you can’t open your mind a bit and get past the seemingly genuine mental block of believing all those who do not wish to stay on designated areas make that choice exclusively because they are skinflints. Sadder still that you try to pour your Daily Mail style scorn on them.

Oh, and thanks for the concern regarding my health but my resting pulse was 39bpm this morning and I’m just back from knocking out an 18 min 5K at my local Park Run. I suspect my blood pressure is OK.

In case Rupert 123 finds himself down the Tarn Gorge way again.

Route du Causse Parking sous le cimetière

48000 Florac

Type of area : FREE Municipal stopover ;-)

Florac is not in the Tarn gorge and I have stayed once at the aire you mention, it is a carpark by the way and must have been pushed to stay their would not normally. Their are no aires in the gorge, their is one at millac which some may regard as in the Tarn gorge but strictly speaking is is at one end of it but a fair way from the bits you would want to see and stay at. The Tarn was just one example I gave though, their are others.

John 47 - 2013-05-04 2:05 PM

In addition to the above, there is also a very good FREE aire at Ispanac, at the eastern end of the Tarn Gorge and, on our way from there to Millau last year, we passed another in the Gorge that we didn't stay at. For full details of these and others, see www.campingcar-infos.com - the best site for locating aires not only in France but in the rest of Europe too.

Their are none in the main gorge or in the Jonte gorge, at least in the main parts. A few on the outskirts away from the best parts but to far out for exploring of walking.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-04 11:26 AM

Oh, and thanks for the concern regarding my health but my resting pulse was 39bpm this morning and I’m just back from knocking out an 18 min 5K at my local Park Run. I suspect my blood pressure is OK.

Bloody hell Crinkley. You must be as fit as a butchers dog! :-D

I liked the Aire at Florac. Nothing spectacular or pretty but quiet and friendly enough and the Tourist Information were one of the most helpful we have come across. They went out of their way to help us and they provide a free quide to the town in English with a numbered walk around the town with all the points of interest and things to see. I think we ended up staying three days. It was funny as it was around the 20th of August and it was packed and then on the second day everyone just dissapeared and about three vans left.

There must have been a fair few vans in the Aire. All within spitting distance of the towns eateries and shops. I bet its a huge success for the town. If it hadnt been there we would have probably stopped an hour.

We never found anything in the Tarn Gorge either but there is a couple of Kayak places you can stay. Assuming you hire a canoe or something but we knew where we were going. Just the other side of Millau on the Tarn is one of the best wild spots in France!

Oh EDIT. As regards campsites having more space. Just look how far my nearest neighbour is in the second photo. Middle of summer as well.

733707780_hank_rhone_tarn(Custom).jpg.8c8f9da25c866d4b6ccb80a6c6b7ec96.jpg

1592090928_RomedeTarn1(Custom).jpg.3851248fba5fed0bbd1198a2f8668b7a.jpg

Barryd999 - 2013-05-04 5:27 PM

Just look how far my nearest neighbour is in the second photo. Middle of summer as well.

Might be because he noticed you had a guitar Barry.

:-D

( p.s. Nice spot though )

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-05-04 6:13 PM

Just look how far my nearest neighbour is in the second photo. Middle of summer as well.

Why do you think I carry a Ukulele >:-)

malc d - 2013-05-04 6:13 PM

Funny you should say that but if you want to make sure you get a spot to yourself. Just leave a guitar (even if you dont play), a cheap lager can and a packet of fags outside your van and you will be surpised how much space you get even on the most cramped Aire!

Stuff em!

Barryd999 - 2013-05-04 10:00 PM

Funny you should say that but if you want to make sure you get a spot to yourself. Just leave a guitar (even if you dont play), a cheap lager can and a packet of fags outside your van and you will be surpised how much space you get even on the most cramped Aire!

Or how quickly you are joined by a long-haired couple with interesting views on personal hygiene in an old bus painted with flowers... :-(

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-05-03 7:32 PM

C

JudgeMental - 2013-05-03 1:00 PM

1 foot, The only time I will consider staying for a long time in one place is out of season in Spain. Primarily because I am on my own (wife still works) and prefer to be with my wife when touring...dont really like being alone but may as well be semi miserable in decent weather...

would be in Spain now with my mate Syd but to much going on, so September instead. We always "tour and stay" when we go long haul as its nice to relax at the end of a busy tour. and now that kids not with us we can do that again in the van. India at Christmas was great, planning Sri Lanka for this December.. Israel for June...and Italy for summer.. and as said Spain for September :-D

France/Spain for 4 months last Autumn, few spring trips here, Egypt/Jordan two weeks ago, south coast for two weeks now over for the moselle and then south to med via/bodesse/Garda/Venice/Florence/Pisa etc......back mid July then off to Fjiords, back for two weeks then .........boring being retired, but don't like to let on.n

Ps we like Aires, sites and wilding where appropriate, we also drive a coachbuilt but might get an A class or a PVC, we also drive a Swift which goes very well, layout suits us, sufficient payload for our needs and seems to be able to withstand 5 or 6 k touring miles each year.

Chris where did youn stay in Florence, as heading there first this year for part 2 of tuscany tour.....

Really must be very lucky but just found yet another aire not a car park! This time at Gourdon. Lovely parkland setting, 8 individual hardstanding pitches set in grass each with own water and hook-up and right in the delightful town of Gourdon. (Free to stay, water and electric 1 euro for 1and a half hours).

robertandjean - 2013-05-05 10:25 AM

Really must be very lucky but just found yet another aire not a car park! This time at Gourdon. Lovely parkland setting, 8 individual hardstanding pitches set in grass each with own water and hook-up and right in the delightful town of Gourdon. (Free to stay, water and electric 1 euro for 1and a half hours).

Have stayed at this aire, so may have beaten you to it for once, agree it is a good one but we found the town very ordinary so only stayed one night. Another Brit had been their for a week, god knows why but i never saw him move from his chair once so guess he was happy just sitting their.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-05-05 10:41 AM

robertandjean - 2013-05-05 10:25 AM

Have stayed at this aire, so may have beaten you to it for once, agree it is a good one but we found the town very ordinary so only stayed one night. Another Brit had been their for a week, god knows why but i never saw him move from his chair once so guess he was happy just sitting their.

Probably the same reason many folk sit in a chair on a site looking at other vans and caravans, I don't get that either, especially if they are paying handsomely for the privilege. :D

rupert123 - 2013-05-04 4:23 PM

John 47 - 2013-05-04 2:05 PM

Their are none in the main gorge or in the Jonte gorge, at least in the main parts. A few on the outskirts away from the best parts but to far out for exploring of walking.

Well, we found the Ispanac aire an excellent base for walking and for canoeing the Tarn - and as we drove down the gorge we also found another new aire that wasn't there the last time we travelled this way. Unfortunately, I didn't get its co-ordinates and it isn't yet on the campingcar-infos site but it is definitely there and you can't miss the big sign as you drive down the gorge!

sambukashot - 2013-05-04 3:16 PM

Hi John,

Do you have the co-ordinates for the aires at Ispanac please?

I would like to add it to my aires map

Thank you

HiThe co-ordinates are: 44.370767N; 3.53695E. Full details are on the campingcar-infos site.

Guest 1footinthegrave
sambukashot - 2013-05-05 12:36 PM

Thanks John but i still cannot find it on camping-car info's website, do you have a direct link to the aire please?

Thanks again

Keith

The correct spelling is Ispagnac, give that a go. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-05 1:24 PM

Strange eddie, your link took me to Bordeaux neck of the woods, and as I said above they have missed out the G in the spelling.. ;-) even stranger it doesn't now. :-S

ha ha ha ..No it was moi...... posting wrong link that I had just posted on another thread, I swapped it pretty quick :-D

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-05 1:15 PM
sambukashot - 2013-05-05 12:36 PM

Thanks John but i still cannot find it on camping-car info's website, do you have a direct link to the aire please?

Thanks again

Keith

The correct spelling is Ispagnac, give that a go. ;-)
Oops! :-D

Archived