Motorhome & RV MOT and repairs

yeti

Took my Hymer in today for its first MOT(a bit like a child's first haircut) to Alf Walsh on Cleveland Street in Birkenhead, in Wirral.

MOTd while you wait,took less than 20 minutes,very pleasant staff and waiting area.

Before I took mine in they had just doe a Yank Tank. They also do taxis for the local authority licensing and light commercials and minibuses,vehicles up to class 7.

They also do Motorhome repairs including plastic and GRP repairs as well as shower tray repairs.

I have no connection with them other than as a customer I used to take my previous motor homes there for testing.

http://www.walsh-auto.co.uk/

They also have the Wirral Sports and Leisure store alongside,for those of you into water sports,especially sub-aqua and boating.

http://www.wirralsports.co.uk/

Dave Newell - 2013-05-01 6:21 PM

Full and comprehensive MOT in just 20 minutes? Really? Should take between 45 minutes and an hour.

D.[/quote

Is that with one assessor? Mine had 3

Dave Newell - 2013-05-02 6:37 AM

It would be normal to only have one examiner doing an MOT, if they can put three guyss on one job they must be a bit light on workshop loading.

D.

Au contraire mon brave,

They have about 5 drive through lanes for vans and cars and a special large bay with a fantastic pit for up to class 7,in fact there was a yank tank in just before me.They also test taxis, cabs and minibuses for the local authority and schools There are always vehicles queuing up for their test..

Check out there website,its a big operation.

Their site is the former area Royal mail maintenance depot and garage.

I understand your incredulity.

If they are putting three men on each MOT then they have more men than work! Three men between them do a test in 20 mins (1/3rd of an hour) this equates to one man hour, one man can do a test in 45 minutes to an hour, this equates to 3/4 of a man hour up to one man hour. Add in the extra costs of employing people, (employers contributuions etc) and it just doesn't make economical sense to put three men to do one mans work if they can only do it in one third of the time, ergo more men than work.

Its also worth pointing out that only one tester will be allowed to register the test and his card will need to be inserted into the computer to register the result into the VOSA system. If more than one tester is doing the work then they are not working to VOSA regulations as I understand them.

D.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I don't know nothing about MOT testing requirements but I can only agree with Dave's comments, and it sounds like a logistical nightmare as to who does what, and which MOT tester takes overall responsibilty for the test, mmmmmmmmm still you've experienced it first hand so perhaps it's all kosher.

The 'card' man was in the pit checking the under cart, numbers 2 & 3 were checking the lights and operating the hand brake and steering for 'card' man who then came out of the pit after jacking up to check suspension etc. He then came out to check emissions,bearings and braking.

Three people maybe but he put his card in the computer and it also gave employment to his assistants.

They are employing and training people in an area of high employment so you can't knock it!-can you?

Not my cup of tea as I prefer to be discusing any issues with my mate as they are being looked at, BUT, these set ups can be very efficient, they have productionised MOT testing in a similier way to how your vehicle is made.

Archived