How long should a 'van last?

Stargeezer

You might remember I had a water ingress issue that broke the gearbox on my T reg Autosleeper Stargazer. I couldn't (probably still can't) afford to get it fixed. We are considering taking out a loan now thankfully I'm working again. I have looked at a number of forums and starting to wonder if 32000 miles on Peugeot Boxer motorhome is about time for scrapyard.

I had expected it to outlast me.

I also own a seriously rotten F reg Autosleeper Rapport (on a Trafic) but I'm beginning to wonder if I should pay to repair that and scrap the Boxer. Forums are saying things like "how many 13 year old Boxer vans do you see on the road?"

Your comments are invited

Fleet users drive these vans the equivalent of to the moon and back as part of their normal working lifespan but time and standing still kills more vans than mileage ever does.

The resale value of your van will be far more than the cost of a gearbox so a repair makes economic sense even if you then sell it.

Rather than pour good money into a rotten Renault have you considered buying a more recent van and transferring all the Rapport bits from old to less old as being Autosleeper the Rapport conversion was well made out of real wood mostly and should withstand transplanting well.

It's a bigger job than you think - I know I did it many years ago - but the cost is more in time in removing the interior intact and modifying to fit than in new parts.

Guest pelmetman
Build a garage ;-)...................and buy a older mint van :D...............one without computers, cats, DPF's etc etc

I might sound like a bit of a drama queen. Yes fixing it (the Boxer) would increase the resale value but it will still be an old van (very last year in terms of styling both inside and out) and the value of motorhomes seems to have plummeted in the last few years. The inside and the outside above the chassis is really quite shiny. It's a daft old thing but still has something about it that makes me smile - and it was gift from my Dad (92 this year).

The cost of replacing the Boxer gearbox would cover the welding on the Renault and get it a year's MOT. It might be an oldie but i have a feeling it will outlive the boxer by "a fourpenny bus ride". It seems to me the Stargazer scrapped would probably be worth more than selling it fixed with an MOT. Or pretty close.

Got a garage but it's under and part of the house. I reckon when welded it would outlast the boxer several times over. it's old, uncool and clanky, but it has character and I have more confidence in an engine where you can see what the bits are...

Guest JudgeMental
trackers idea makes sense. get a recon or scrap gearbox, fit and sell camper. scrap the Renault van, removing the interior first and transplant to a better van, maybe adding new upholstery along the way to brighten it up :-D

If age is the concern scrapping an old 'van to repair an even older 'van doesn't seem logical.

If the Boxer gearbox hadn't failed would you be considering rescuing the Renault?

If not, it seems logical to repair the Boxer with secondhand / recon parts and either enjoying it or selling it on.

Age in itself shouldn't be a massive problem, your Boxer is newer than many 'vans out there, including my own two(and our car). Also, my brother's Wetfalia is from 1993 with 150K + miles and is still in top-notch condition.

I'm not familiar with the two models in question but on the face of it, replacing the damaged gearbox(either with second hand or recon')sounds like be the obvious(easiest) choice..

However....I suppose it also depends on what the rest of the vehicle(s) are like. Is one obviously in "better" nick than the other?

My concern would be how long each has stood for..Have they just been parked up,with grass allowed to grow around 'em?...do they look like you keep chickens in 'em? (lol)

(Many years back I had a "tidy" Opel manta which(because I was into my bikes)stood on my drive, untaxed, for a year or so and although it was started/charged/shuffled about regularly, when I came to look at getting it back on the road,it needed major work/money throwing at it,so ended up getting scrapped....So don't just think "it was fine when I parked it" ;-) )

What is it that makes you think that the "welded up" Renault, would outlast the Boxer....?

Surely it makes sense to get the Boxer fixed?

You say the styling is a bit 'old hat' - but it's still more modern than your Renault.

Your Boxer will still fetch good money - age and depreciation do not run on a linear scale with campers, much like boats.

Even if you can't bear to part with the Renault consider this -

Spend some on the Boxer and move it on - use the cash to revitalise the Autosleeper, if you feel you must.

As has been said -

Would you be thinking about selling if you hadn't had this gearbox problem?

The reason you don't see 12 year old Boxers on the road is they have been beaten and thrashed to death as a 'tool' not a camper.

When someone, with a say sub 10k budget is looking, they tend to consider condition over age.

In these cash-strapped times you probably have a a wider audience for cheaper vans - it's those over 15-20k that will struggle at the moment.

How much do you want for it? - I can see a nice little earner on the horizon :-D

If I had to put my trust into either vehicle I would choose a 15 year old Boxer with sound chassis every time rather than a much older and rusty as an anchor Renault which is likely to have far more issues than the ones you can see once MOT time arrives, and is likely to be an ongoing weld up patch up job year on year.

A new set of furniture covers, curtains and carpets in time as you can afford them will transform your Stargazer which, being from the era of well designed and built Autocruise, will hold more of it's value longer than a rusty Renault.

Your money - your choice!

I just did a quick search and found a second hand gearbox for £295 with three months warranty.

(Van Parts 4U) now it may not be the correct gearbox, but it indicates that they are available at reasonable prices.

Labour would be £200 (Guesstimeate) so £5j00 might get it back on the road.

It must be worth doing? It might be a local gearbox repair company could repair yours for less money.

I remember being depressed about an old Land rover gearbox, it had failed and I couldn't get the gears.

When removed and stripped it was a spring that cost about 50p, mind you it took two days to get it out and put it back.

H

Our SWB Peugeot Boxer Holdsworth van is 18 years old and still going strong. Mind you it has a very full service history. Bodywork still ok as far as I can see too. Hoping to get at least another 5 years out of it, after all its not unusual to see Talbots for sale in good running order, and they will be even older, so I think it is reasonable to expect a 20-25 year lifespan from a campervan. :-)

Stargeezer - 2013-05-01 10:55 PM

You might remember I had a water ingress issue that broke the gearbox on my T reg Autosleeper Stargazer. I couldn't (probably still can't) afford to get it fixed. We are considering taking out a loan now thankfully I'm working again. I have looked at a number of forums and starting to wonder if 32000 miles on Peugeot Boxer motorhome is about time for scrapyard.

I had expected it to outlast me.

I also own a seriously rotten F reg Autosleeper Rapport (on a Trafic) but I'm beginning to wonder if I should pay to repair that and scrap the Boxer. Forums are saying things like "how many 13 year old Boxer vans do you see on the road?"

Your comments are invited

BIB tells me that this van has done very little other than sit around somewhere for extremely long periods doing little else other than decoration! 32k miles on any vehicle is absolutely nothing! My 11 year old car (petrol engine) has 140k on the clock and my 13 year old van (diesel) 65k.

I think the forum posts you must be reading re. "how many 13 yr old Boxers do you see on the road" must relate to commercial vans and not those used as MH's. A 13yr old commercial van will often have been to the moon and back and naturally isn't looked after in the same way as a MH conversion.

I'd definitely go the route others have suggested about sourcing and fitting a re-con or used box. If you still wanted to sell at least having that done you would be able to recoup your money a lot easier!

Right,

Thanks for the feedback and the reailty check. It's the Boxer and see what I get on the (fun but daft) Rapport by scrapping it to help pay the bill.

Seriously

Thanks for your time

Pete the Stargazer Geezer

I suspect that the value of a rusty old Renault without a decent MOT will be a little less than nothing by the time you take into account any selling costs.

If you have the space and the time have you considered getting an identical Renault van with a decent body - if such a thing exists - and doing a transplant job - or sell the both as a viable project to someone gullible?

Doing up the Boxer has to make most sense in the longer term.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-05-02 8:13 PM

If you have the space and the time have you considered getting an identical Renault van with a decent body - if such a thing exists - and doing a transplant job - or sell the both as a viable project to someone gullible?

Something like this Rich ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Traffic-HDS-Mk2-J-Reg-91-/251270061758?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3a80dcdebe

The Rapport has the fibreglass high top so I doubt finding good'un and transplanting that is likely. It does have everything in there, 3 way fridge, gas blown air heater and seperate gas water heater. There's even a cover and "silver screens".

Until we got the Stargazer it had been looked after by the local mechanic (in the village where my Dad lives) for many years. Pretty much, no expense spared. There's an inch or so thick of service records.

But like lovesick fools we saw the Stargazer, trashed the inheritance and the Rapport was history. Cast off like an old pair of socks... Even the dogs (who loved the old van) ignored it when the new one turned up.

My mechanic mate, who has stopped fixing cars and become a lecturer in the subject (how dare he?) is looking onto how to get the gearbox sorted. Maybe he'll make it a project for his students - glass half full.

Have a good bank holiday weekend y'all

pete

Wow, that does look solid. I don't have the room, the skill or the time to do the job. I have a bunch of pictures of the Rapport if anyone fancies a project. I did have one guy offer me £800 as a scrapper but (at the time) didn;t want to go that route.

I appreciate the info, ours has been well used, the other half does a house/dog sitting gig over the winter and need somehwere to sit, make a cuppa and warm up. Thinking about a one ton "day" van and a little caravan. But haven't told her yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived