solar panel fitting

sreve

Hi all

I'm just about to install my solar panel to my motorhome roof and my question is i already have a new tube of sikaflex 291 which i want to use,so do people out there think that 291 is as good as any of the other sikaflex adhesives? (i don't intend to bolt or screw the panel to the roof)

Any views or advice will be appreciated.

Simon

Just had a look at the specs for 221 & 291 the only difference is the the short term service temperature 221 can withstand 140 deg C for 4 hours, 291 is 180 deg C for 4 hours. don't think that will make muck odds.

If you sikaflex the panel direct to the roof you will never be able to get it off should you wish to or if it fails.

Better in my view to pop rivet or screw the panel to angle aluminium brackets and sikaflex the brackets to the roof then you can remove the panel and just leave the brackets.

Not sure, could be wrong but I think that solar panel also prefer some air circulation around them when working hard?

Tracker - 2013-05-02 9:06 PM

If you sikaflex the panel direct to the roof you will never be able to get it off should you wish to or if it fails.

Better in my view to pop rivet or screw the panel to angle aluminium brackets and sikaflex the brackets to the roof then you can remove the panel and just leave the brackets.

Not sure, could be wrong but I think that solar panel also prefer some air circulation around them when working hard?

Its the brackets that you sikaflex down not the panel itself.

We left the panel on the last van in our opinion it isn't worth removing.

maggyd - 2013-05-03 9:10 PM

Tracker - 2013-05-02 9:06 PM

Its the brackets that you sikaflex down not the panel itself.

That's what I said Maggy?

Thanks again for all your replies,i should have made it clear that i have riveted brackets to the panel so there will be an air gap under it.

Do any of you ever bolt the brackets down as well as using sikaflex? I was thinking i could bolt one of the brackets where the bolts would come through inside a locker (and therefore wouldn't be visible) so that if the sikaflex failed atleast i wouldn't lose the panel.I really don't know if it's worth it.What does anyone think?

Thanks.

Sika won't fail on any substrate - providing you use the correct primer, if deemed necessary.

I would suggest you abrade/key the aluminium though, and most critically ensure you clean the surfaces with MEK or Isopropanol.

221 would be the better option I think, but any good PU sealant will do the job.

Archived