Grrrrr ... our Accent has just been Christened ... literally!

Mel B

We have 'succumbed' to the dreaded waste water pipe coming adrift 'fault'. Grrrr. >:-(

As we're about to go away for a long holiday in Germany shortly staying mainly on aires we decided to check the van over today. When we got to checking the water system we found when turning on the kitchen sink taps when the water went down the plug hole that water was coming out from the underside of the van where the exterior waste pipe pushes onto a 'through the floor' connector. As the connector has 4 slots in it around where the pipe pushes on hubby initially thought we might have a blocked waste pipe and that this was an overflow of some sort so disconnected the waste pipe and used a hose pipe to try to clear it, however it didn't appear to be blocked. :-S

We then turned our attention to the underside of the van itself and I noticed that water was dripping from the a point about 6 inches further along coming through a hole where some electric cables were which had been waterproofed with some sealant but obviously not completely. This got alarm bells ringing ... there should NOT be any water coming through there and the only way it could was if it was coming through from the inside!!!!! Oh heck (or words to that effect)! *-)

Out came the rugs and sure enough under them we had water ... right along to the rear of the van and along the edge of the units. Out with the drawers but it was dry underneath so I removed all the stuff in the cupboard next to them and lo and behold the problem was found ... the blooming waste pipe had come off the 'through the floor' connector! What a stupid design - nothing to hold it in place at all, just a push fit!! 8-)

When I had dried everything out I managed to push the pipe back on but was worried about it coming off again - having read on previous threads on here and other forums about the problem of trying to use a jubilee clip to keep the pipe in place and cracking it I decided not to do that, but instead once I had the pipe well and truly pushed on I got my sealant gun out and have put a load of it round it right down into the 'well' it sits in - no way will THAT come out again!!!! :-D

What concerns me though is that the pipe seems to be too short so is under a bit of tension - another inch or two and the problem would probably not ever have happened as I assume it has gradually been 'pulling' itself off the connector.

Thank goodness we decided to check the water system rather than just assume it would be okay - I'm glad I didn't have to sort this on our way to Germany!!! :D

So if you have an Autocruise van conversion get your head in the kitchen cupboard and check that the waste pipe is pushed on fully then stick some sealant on it so it can't go anywhere!!! :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Oh no Eddie will be along shortly. :D

All joking apart that is completely unacceptable, God a few shortcuts to save 50p seems par for the course these days :-(

Guest JudgeMental

How much was van again? :-D

I'm in the mood for dancin', romancin'

Ooh I'm given' it all tonight

I'm in the mood for chancin'

I feel like dancin'

Ooh so come on and hold me tight

Dancin', I'm in the mood, babe,,,

So let the music play

Ooh I'm dancin', I'm in the groove, babe

So get on up and let your body sway

I'm in the mood for dancin', romacnin'

You know I shan't ever stop tonight

I feel like dancin'

Ooh from head to my toes

Take me again

And heaven who knows

Just where it will end..............

(lol) The judge must be away Mel !! thanks for the info I can see us checking now everytime we empty the sink :-S I take it that it was the kitchen waste pipe ? have you checked the bathroom? although I dont see how you can or should have to!! I have heard of the pipes to the kitchen tap coming adrift which as you say they blamed on the screws being tightened too much and cracking the clips also the grill/oven has also been blamed for heating things up and causing them to come adrift.

Well at least you have found the problem before you go away !! you dont want to be another Michelle having to try and dry everything out and spoiling your holiday. Have a good time we will be on your heals end of next month :-D Ill keep an eye open for you.

OH NO HE GOT IN BEFORE ME !! (lol)

JudgeMental - 2013-05-02 8:33 PM

I feel like dancin'

So let the music play

I feel like dancin'

Ooh from head to my toes

Take me again

And heaven who knows

Bloody Nora - the Nolans!!!!!!

hughman - 2013-05-02 9:06 PM

I didn't know that Eddie was aka Nora Nolan and I'm amazed that at his age he can still remember the words - but as a divided personality that does explain a lot of things!

Mel B - 2013-05-02 7:43 PM

lennyhb - 2013-05-02 7:04 PM

That will teach you Mel buying a British built van. :D :D :D

I wondered who would be the first 'smart Alec' ... my money wasn't on you though! :D

Yer I beat the Judge for once :D

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2013-05-02 9:10 PM

hughman - 2013-05-02 9:06 PM

I didn't know that Eddie was aka Nora Nolan and I'm amazed that at his age he can still remember the words - but as a divided personality that does explain a lot of things!

But u r TEN YEARS older then moi.... Van fancier.

Mel,if you reckon the pipe seems too short, is there any "slack" elsewhere that can fed through a bit?..if not,is it worth extending it slightly(using some form of straight connector)?...at the very least I'd be looking at clipping it securely in place,so it couldn't move again...

Having said all that, did this pipe just "come apart" (under a false floor)?..or was it..*cough*.."dislodged" by stuff crammed into a cupboard..? :-D

...as you aren't averse to,shall we say, "utilising" any available space, are you... ;-) (lol)

pepe63 - 2013-05-03 8:30 AM

Mel,if you reckon the pipe seems too short, is there any "slack" elsewhere that can fed through a bit?..if not,is it worth extending it slightly(using some form of straight connector)?...at the very least I'd be looking at clipping it securely in place,so it couldn't move again...

Having said all that, did this pipe just "come apart" (under a false floor)?..or was it..*cough*.."dislodged" by stuff crammed into a cupboard..? :-D

...as you aren't averse to,shall we say, "utilising" any available space, are you... ;-) (lol)

Ha - very 'subtle' pepe!!! :D

The waste pipe runs down through the cupboard and isn't hidden at all and there's no false floor. I keep the tins etc which are in the cupboard concerned in trays which keep them 'captive' so they can't move around and dislodge anything, I double checked when I put the stuff back and they don't touch the waste pipe at all. I don't like the fact that the pipes (both waste and kitchen tap) have nothing to protect them so when we get back off holiday I might box them in anyway just to be safe.

The pipe won't move though now that I've sealed it in place so we shouldn't have any more flooding ... hopefully!!!! *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-05-02 8:33 PM

I feel like dancin'

So let the music play

I feel like dancin'

Ooh from head to my toes

Take me again

And heaven who knows

What you been smoking judge .... not some of your wacky backy???? :D

Guest JudgeMental
No sweetie haven't had a puff in years....just a drop of the old gold watch these days.hope you get sorted :-D

Mel B - 2013-05-03 9:44 PM

I keep the tins etc which are in the cupboard concerned in trays which keep them 'captive' so they can't move around and dislodge anything,

Tinned food - how very 60's Mel - are you aware that mainland Europe now has shops selling fresh food!

Tracker - 2013-05-04 9:45 AM
Mel B - 2013-05-03 9:44 PM I keep the tins etc which are in the cupboard concerned in trays which keep them 'captive' so they can't move around and dislodge anything,
Tinned food - how very 60's Mel - are you aware that mainland Europe now has shops selling fresh food!

Fresh baked beans in tomato sauce now that's got to be a first !!

Mel B - 2013-05-03 9:44 PM

I keep the tins etc which are in the cupboard concerned in trays which keep them 'captive' so they can't move around and dislodge anything,

Just enough tinned stuff to see us okay for a few days in case we end up stranded somewhere or aren't near shops to be able to stock up. When we had our Rimor with a big fridge and large separate freezer we used to take loads of frozen food with us but found that most of it had a lovely holiday and came back home again untouched! :D Now with a smaller fridge and freezer we don't take that much, just the basics such as marg, Cheddar, bacon, a bit of cooked meat for sarnies whilst travelling, sauces/pickles etc, and a bit of salad stuff until we get the chance to hit a shop/market. The only thing we have struggled with in the past in Germany is getting normal bread, rather than the strong tasting rye type stuff they sell but obviously I can't take enough for 7 weeks!!! 8-) I have, however, been thinking of trying to make some soda bread/flat bread so I could rustle some up in an 'emergency'. :-D

kelly58 - 2013-05-04 10:19 AM
Mel B - 2013-05-03 9:44 PM I keep the tins etc which are in the cupboard concerned in trays which keep them 'captive' so they can't move around and dislodge anything,

Fresh baked beans in tomato sauce now that's got to be a first !!

?? Its easy enough to 'reproduce' British type baked-beans abroad, just buy a tin of the normal beans and stick a load of tomato paste in with a little bit of sugar to bring out the tomato flavour ... works a treat! Just have to make sure we don't overdo it though as they tend to have very large tins!!! :$ (lol)

Mel B - 2013-05-04 4:59 PM

Its easy enough to 'reproduce' British type baked-beans abroad, just buy a tin of the normal beans and stick a load of tomato paste in with a little bit of sugar to bring out the tomato flavour ... works a treat! Just have to make sure we don't overdo it though as they tend to have very large tins!!! :$ (lol)

Just make sure that you feed any excess baked beans to the dogs - helps keep the van warm at night!

Guest JudgeMental
carried 2 tins of beans around Italy/Croatia last year and carried them all the way back as well.. :-D

Tracker - 2013-05-04 5:02 PM

Mel B - 2013-05-04 4:59 PM

Its easy enough to 'reproduce' British type baked-beans abroad, just buy a tin of the normal beans and stick a load of tomato paste in with a little bit of sugar to bring out the tomato flavour ... works a treat! Just have to make sure we don't overdo it though as they tend to have very large tins!!! :$ (lol)

Just make sure that you feed any excess baked beans to the dogs - helps keep the van warm at night!

Believe me Rich, they DO NOT need any help from beans!!!! 8-)

Oh some people are sooo uncouth (lol)

Of course you need tin rations!! we go away to relax not shop shop shop !!!!!

I just buy brochen Mel fier at a time and kept in a Lakeland bread bag!! or more if you eat a lot of bread but that is one thing that you can always find unlike tins of garden peas/carrots etc; I like tinned red salmon cant even bare to smell the fresh stuff since I had Oak smoked in a pub at Sandsend and spent all night throwing it up !!! I also like a few tins of M&S steak and curries very handy if your not near shops or eateries.

We like our beans, especially when having a treat of a 'full English' .... bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms, beans, fried bread and potato cakes with a nice hot mug of tea ... too fattening to have it for breakfast but great for a tasty tea after a long day enjoying ourselves! :-D

Archived