spain

macclad

Ferry cost varies according to date - best look at the ferry websites for accurate costs.

Mileage is easy to work out, you know how many mpg your van does and you can reckon on about a fiver a gallon - but in Euros of course - for diesel in France and Spain.

Simples really.

Guest JudgeMental
Very roughly I would think about half the price if you drive..plus it's more pleasant. Depending on camper fuel consumption......

Hi

We travel to Spain on a regular basis and always use the Channel crossings and drive through France. On our recent return to the UK the ferry cost us (two people and a 7 metre motorhome) £25. I estimate that the diesel to cross France cost us around £150. That makes a total of around £175 plus the fact that we got to sample the delights of France. I have just looked up the cost of a ferry from Santander to Portsmouth (for a date well ahead (in September) and it came to £529. But we do have the advantage of being retired and therefore in no hurry to get anywhere.

An important issue is how far away from the ferry port you live. It's a 550 mile round trip for me to Dover on appalling roads so I'm happy to use Plymouth for convenience. I did some sums using the viaMichelin website here:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

For me the cost differential was minimal and the journey through France doesn't hold much attraction as I've done France to death in various forms of camping over the last 45 years. However, for newbies and as long as there are no time constraints, travelling through France to Spain is an excellent experience.

Archived