automatic gear box and driving in alps

Domino

I have now got an Burstner T660 with automatic gearbox (Fiat) but now I'm wondering if it will create problems driving in mountains . Can someone tell me how automatics work - do I have to break more or what. With the manual I just selected lower gears to control speed. I have visions of careering through the alps with no control!

Many thanks

Automatics are great going up mountains but caution is needed going down. Select a lower gear especially in mountainous regions or you will soon have brake fade (not funny)

You will probably get a queue of traffic behind you so pull over where possible and let them go, it will be appreciated but you will get the occasional hothead who can't wait so be alert.

Dave

We've got a Burstner 820i auto which has been round a lot of Europe, though not high Alps. Did Mt Ventoux in Provence ok, other than running out of steam going uphill, and needing a rest. The gearbox is one of those tiptronic-type ones, where you can hold it in a gear manually if you want - it obviously made sense to do so coming down mountains. We had no brake trouble at all.

Domino - 2013-05-04 8:13 AM

I have now got an Burstner T660 with automatic gearbox (Fiat) but now I'm wondering if it will create problems driving in mountains . Can someone tell me how automatics work - do I have to break more or what. With the manual I just selected lower gears to control speed. I have visions of careering through the alps with no control!

Many thanks

In general alpine passes are not as steep as roads you come across in the UK, although longer of course. Modern disc brakes will fade but not in the same way the old drum brakes used to with boiling fluid and the drum expanding with the heat. just use some common sense and you will have no problems.

Thanks Dave and Hughman. One further question, The tiptronic mentioned may be what I have - I have a manual gear 1 and manual 2 (I don't think any others). So do you suggest, if needed that I just use manual 1 and 2 and go slow as necessary on descending. Going up sounds like no problem .

I have used manual when stuck the other weekend on the campsite at Southwold in the rain - and was one of 5 vans towed off the grass! So only used it for a short space of time/distance.

Thanks again

Carol

Hi,

The gearbox is a manual with auto clutch and gear change ( tiptronic if you wish )

You can manually select 1 or 2nd for starting off

Set in manual you can change up and down gear as you would using a manual

Set in Auto when slowing down using the brakes it will automatically change down into the right gear for the speed.

Pressing the load button in auto it will hold the gears longer going up hill to avoid hunting.

It has all the benefits of a manual with the ease of an auto

Richard

Thanks Colin

For a strange reason I never thought of the most basic thing.. Anyway the gearbox is a Comfortmatic

and has full range of manual gears if I need them. Apparently 3 and 4 etc only show up when going fast enough. I will try this out tomorrow on my way to Eurotunnel as we're off to Sicily and Sardinia for 2 months.

Archived