Suggestions on places to visit Northern Spain and France

sandra parry

Hi we have 16 days after landing in Santander before traveling up to St Malo. This is our first adventure in our VW t5 camper. Can anyone suggest areas to visit in Northern Spain the Alps, and back up through France. Ideally we would like small campsites near beaches or pine forests, have you any tips ? for first time motorhoming abroad, do I need to book sites in advance going early June have I enough time to enjoy this trip? Also any recomendations on breakdown cover ? anything will be appreciated many thanks.

Guest JudgeMental
Santillana del Mar and Picos de Europa a must see IMO. you used to be able to drive up mountain and camp but it was unofficial...watch out for the bears! :-D

sandra parry - 2013-05-05 11:07 AM

Hi we have 16 days after landing in Santander before traveling up to St Malo. This is our first adventure in our VW t5 camper. Can anyone suggest areas to visit in Northern Spain the Alps, and back up through France. Ideally we would like small campsites near beaches or pine forests, have you any tips ? for first time motorhoming abroad, do I need to book sites in advance going early June have I enough time to enjoy this trip? Also any recomendations on breakdown cover ? anything will be appreciated many thanks.

Hi Sandra

We have breakdown cover with our insurane company inclusive. I assume you are covered to take van abroad?

So do check with your insurers re breakdown cover. To me it makes sense to have the same company covering both ins and breakdown, only one phone call.

PJay

Hi Sandra,

I'd say Bilbao is worth a look, just for Guggenheim gallery. We saw Hockney exhibition there last year, and had an interesting walk around the old part of the city. Agree Picos Europa, and Burgos. Tried to get into Pamplona, but found it very busy so aborted, just wanted to see bull running area.

Enjoy trip

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

No need to book ahead as its low season. some use ADAC a German company for breakdown but as PJ says most have it attached to motorhome policy..

this may help for route back up its from some V'dub fans!: http://www.airetoday.co.uk/:

They have a recommendation for Biscarrosse-plage aire and its near the beach so could be busy, but I prefer the one slightly south as quieter area for an overnight stop. but plenty of aires on this stretch of coast heading north. this another useful info site

http://en.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/234-GASTES?z=11

easiest way to travel is to put all the aires in your sat nav, they are free unlike the books. Make the most of Spain though, wonderful food and people and cheap compared to France. french go over the border for monthly shop :-D

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2013-05-05 1:14 PM

No need to book ahead as its low season. some use ADAC a German company for breakdown but as PJ says most have it attached to motorhome policy..

this may help for route back up its from some V'dub fans!: http://www.airetoday.co.uk/:

They have a recommendation for Biscarrosse-plage aire and its near the beach so could be busy, but I prefer the one slightly south as quieter area for an overnight stop. but plenty of aires on this stretch of coast heading north. this another useful info site

http://en.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/234-GASTES?z=11

easiest way to travel is to put all the aires in your sat nav, they are free unlike the books. Make the most of Spain though, wonderful food and people and cheap compared to France. french go over the border for monthly shop :-D

Then north of that you have the Vendee coast with some lovely beaches especially out on the Islands. La Rochelle a lovely city and you can stay on aires there also (aires on Islands as well) try and hit towns on market days...

http://en.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/1120-LA%20ROCHELLE%201?z=12

Hi Sandra, I think for a first time trip, just take your time, wander up through Gascony, Vandee and into Brittany. Get youselves, a copy of ACSI discount camping book, also an Aires guide. You should not need to book, as June is still not high season. As for breakdown cover, ours through our insurance. Relax and enjoy the trip, the food, the wine, and a country that loves motorhomes.

Enjoy

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2013-05-05 3:06 PM

The OP says she is going from Norherm Spain to the Alps. then back through France - so the west coast / Vendee is a bit off route.

:-|

Oop's a daises... Really? I just responded to this "Ideally we would like small campsites near beaches or pine forests". I think some homework required :D

Malc D. My intention was to suggest that as a first timer landing at Santander, and only having 16 days to get to St. Malo it IMHO would be better simply to drive North up the West coast of France, having time to enjoy her first motorhome visit. Not spending all of it driving about. ;-)

Cheers

Iain Strachan - 2013-05-05 4:30 PM

Malc D. My intention was to suggest that as a first timer landing at Santander, and only having 16 days to get to St. Malo it IMHO would be better simply to drive North up the West coast of France, having time to enjoy her first motorhome visit. Not spending all of it driving about. ;-)

Cheers

I agree with you iain, if I were returning from Northern Spain I wouldn't go all the way across to the Alps.

Lots of nice places to stop on the west coast, all the way up to the channel, and much less driving.

cheers

Skip the Alps this time - too far. Have a look at the Pyrenees instead. Bilbao, yes. Also San Sebastian is very nice and some great restaurants.Then, back up the middle of France - Lot/Tarn/Dordogne and Massif Central has fantastic countryside. SW France has always been one of my favourite parts of the world - less touristy than the Med, and some spectacular stuff. Try and get to Millau and go over the bridge/viaduct - designed by Richard Rogers and an amazing bit of engineering, especially if you suffer from vertigo :-( :D

Have fun !!

malc d - 2013-05-05 9:12 PM

Cheers

I agree with you iain, if I were returning from Northern Spain I wouldn't go all the way across to the Alps.

Lots of nice places to stop on the west coast, all the way up to the channel, and much less driving.

cheers

Neither would i but the west coast, or most of it is the most boring place in europe. Hughs route is much better with interesting places, both towns and scenic.

rupert123 - 2013-05-06 5:33 PM

malc d - 2013-05-05 9:12 PM

Cheers

cheers

Neither would i but the west coast, or most of it is the most boring place in europe. Hughs route is much better with interesting places, both towns and scenic.

That may be your view but the OP mentioned " ..... near beaches and pine forests "

Not a lot of those in central France.

;-)

Rupert, I guess that depends on you definition of "boring," but in the whole of Europe come come.

It is all a matter of what you want to do with your time away.

Hugh D. is a great suggestion, we visited the Viaduc Millau, the first year it opened, and have stayed in the town, its IMHO just ok but not great. The gorges du Tarn superb natural beauty, if thats what you want.

The OP mentioned beaches and pine forests, the majority of French coast line and pine forest are to the West along the Atlantic Coast I think. So for a first timer, with 16 days to enjoy I still think this is the way to go, hopefully they will come back and explore other parts of France and Europe.

How about a route from you Rupert, with things you dont find boring!

Archived