Caravan Club Sat Nav

Poppy

Bought one just over a week ago.Obviously limited experience with this particular sat nav but quite impressed so far.They have a free technical help line to begin with and they don,t keep you hanging about.Thats the company that sells them.Loads of POIs (I finally know what one is!) club and other sites.It also has ACSI sites with pics etc. the bord atlas and camperstops.These all come with details of facilities, nearby shops restaurants etc. a picture and will route you to them.

Bought the Ventura CC Edition in March and have just come back from using it every day in France.   It is a very sophisticated piece of kit and a welcome replacement for my ancient Garmin.   You can also download a POI which has most of the aires (many with photos) if you are that way inclined.   The games are also fun!   My one criticism is that the volume can't be turned up enough to be able to hear the directions clearly whilst whizzing down a motorway.   I had to stop at Maplin's to buy an external speaker on my way to the ferry.   Have just got back and rang Snooper about it this morning, as I don't consider it fit for use if you can't hear it in a motorhome with a sophisticated engine (no, I am not deaf either).   Snooper are sending a prepaid envelope to return it as there is a firmware update to increase the volume from the speakers.   This can only be done in house.   I'll let you know how much of an improvement this is when I get the set back.

Guest JudgeMental
But all the POI mentioned and a load more then you could ever possibly need are FREELY available on the internet......

The deal includes free updates for life (the Ventura's; not mine) and the POIs are free as well.  How would one use a laptop to access the POIs whilst driving along?   Maybe I'm just being stupid, but it's quite useful to have all the info just a button push away on the dash.

Guest JudgeMental
you just put the POI on the sat nag as I have been doing for 12 years takes 5 minutes.....Most come with free life time mapping these days and Garmin FREE 0800 number support pretty good. I dont see the point in paying more then double when all you get for it is low bridges to be honest.....still have to use the eyes in your head....they are not a substitute for a brain:-D

Sparky7 - 2013-05-07 12:02 PM

Bought the Ventura CC Edition in March and have just come back from using it every day in France.   It is a very sophisticated piece of kit and a welcome replacement for my ancient Garmin.   You can also download a POI which has most of the aires (many with photos) if you are that way inclined.   The games are also fun!   My one criticism is that the volume can't be turned up enough to be able to hear the directions clearly whilst whizzing down a motorway.   I had to stop at Maplin's to buy an external speaker on my way to the ferry.   Have just got back and rang Snooper about it this morning, as I don't consider it fit for use if you can't hear it in a motorhome with a sophisticated engine (no, I am not deaf either).   Snooper are sending a prepaid envelope to return it as there is a firmware update to increase the volume from the speakers.   This can only be done in house.   I'll let you know how much of an improvement this is when I get the set back.

Thanks.We find the volume a bit of a problem as well!

Sparky7 - 2013-05-07 2:43 PM

How would one use a laptop to access the POIs whilst driving along?  

That's easy, laptop or preferably a netbook running Autoroute with either a USB or Bluetooth GPS receiver, download POI's in csv format and import into Autoroute.

We always use Autoroute side by side with a sat nav. Autoroute is good for planning and you have a big screen map. Sat nav good for getting through the tricky bits of towns.

• 2 months later...
Guest adhple
I think they have solved the volume now I wear 2 hearing aids and one stopped working on a resent trip but I was able to hear it very well at times we turned the volume down as the speed camera warnings get a bit annoying when you are traveling at 60 mph in a 70mph area, I have now has the unit replace twice the first one the Traffic did not work and then it stopped working completely in the center of Rome. The replacement froze up 4 times in a 40 mile trip, they tell my there is a faulty batch and others are finding problems as well. I am waiting for a third replacement to arrive and hope this one works as I think it is better than TT or Germin but saying that the POI is not as good as TT, So a TT will come with us next time as a backup and to use the POI at the stopovers.

adhple - 2013-08-01 12:55 PM

I think they have solved the volume now I wear 2 hearing aids and one stopped working on a resent trip but I was able to hear it very well at times we turned the volume down as the speed camera warnings get a bit annoying when you are traveling at 60 mph in a 70mph area, I have now has the unit replace twice the first one the Traffic did not work and then it stopped working completely in the center of Rome. The replacement froze up 4 times in a 40 mile trip, they tell my there is a faulty batch and others are finding problems as well. I am waiting for a third replacement to arrive and hope this one works as I think it is better than TT or Germin but saying that the POI is not as good as TT, So a TT will come with us next time as a backup and to use the POI at the stopovers.

Says it all really there do seem to have been several problems with these and associated devices. Take a look at the new TomTom caravan and camper model £305 order and collect next day from Halfords. Spec looks very good especially the four layer mapping. Does every thing the CC one does but obviously does not contain the caravan club sites. Mind you I can't see the in these since the post code will be on your booking form and it's quicker to simply put this in than look up and enter a site. In my experience it's likely to be more reliable and certainly much easier and faster to load the free map updates.

My sat nav needs replacing but I'm waiting until next spring as we only have two more long tours in September and October and I'm hoping that by then the price may have fallen and they may have brought it out with the larger screen option.

Police advise not entering your home address as a thief may nick you unit then pop round and rob your house. Sounds a bit unlikely to me but I've taken their advice and entered the main police station some four miles away as my home address. If my unit gets stolen I can simply ring the police and ask them to keep an eye open for the toe rag that nicked it!

Archived