Thetford 3 - Dometic 0

kelly58

Our previous 3 motorhomes were fitted with Thetford Fridges on one of them we had 2 small ( parts were in the post next day ) and 1 a bit more serious fault . I rang Thetford and they fell over backwards to help even sending an engineer to my house to fix a fault on the day we were off to France , that takes a lot of beating. Our new Auto-Trail is fitted with a Dometic Fridge which has a rubber / plastic button fixed to a metal plate beneath the fridge door on the opposite side to the hinge which for some reason lifts the door up when it is closed . After only 1 week of use the button fell / broke off , so when I got back from France I rang Dometic to get a replacement button . When I rang I spoke to a young lady and explained the problem and asked if they could send me another button for me to fix myself simple enough I thought " Wrong " . I got a very curt reply that no I could not fix it myself I would have to get the supplying motorhome dealer to request one for them to fit which would entail a 130 mile round trip !!!. I had to inform her that their after sales service was C**p and nowhere as good as Thetford. Marquis are trying to obtain the required part so I can fit it myself ..

Kelvyn there's a mobile engineer for Dometic somewhere on your side of the Humber - when we had a problem with our Rimor's fridge just a week or so out of it's 1 year warranty, they honoured the warranty and he came to us to sort it out all FOC. It might be worth seeing if you can find this chap's details.

kelly58 - 2013-05-07 1:21 PM

...Our new Auto-Trail is fitted with a Dometic Fridge which has a rubber / plastic button fixed to a metal plate beneath the fridge door on the opposite side to the hinge which for some reason lifts the door up when it is closed...

The 'button' (or more accurately the combination of the bracket with the button fitted to it) provides support to the fridge door when closed. The door of larger Dometic appliances has a lot of storage capacity, which translates to a lot of weight if that capacity is fully exploited. Without the bracket/button that weight will apply considerable continuous leverage at the door's hinges. So, although Dometic's fridge design may be considered flawed in certain areas, I suggest that the bracker/button feature isn't one of them. It needs saying that, if the button on your fridge lifts the door significantly rather than slightly, you are either loading the door excessively or its hinge adjustment needs looking at. It also might explain why the original button broke/fell off. You may wish to read Robinhood's warning here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Hobby-Fridge-Installation-Please-Check-Yours/31113/

Electrolux/Dometic used to have an excellent reputation for customer-care. When I observed (in around 2002 I think) that the chrome on the shelves of the fridge fitted to my 1996-built Herald was corroding (saying that it was a pity stainless-steel wasn't used), I was sent a full set of replacement shelves at no charge. And, when the freezer-compartment hinge broke, I was also sent free replacement parts.

Archived