Aire Gems

sambukashot

Started a new thread to draw up a list of all those little gems of aires that people talk about, the ones where you really enjoyed your overnight/daytime stay (anywhere in Europe is fine) Please keep the posts on topic!

Ok i will start with 3 of mine:

Vivonne Aires, great walks and views and all this just off the N10!

Nort sur Erdre Aires,  it's only a flat rubble car park but the real nice part is what great walks are all around you!

Saint Pardoux Aires, small aires next to a nice peaceful lake, picture perfect!

Guest pelmetman

Le Bugue, Aquitaine Aire - Large flat grassy field with trees. Right in centre of town and next to lovely river. Supermarkets within minutes walk and lots of good restaurants. Excellent market.

Bourdeilles, Aquaitaine Aire - Large flat grassy field next to the River Dronne. Used to be a municipal camp site.

Bourdeilles itself is absolutely enchanting.

SUE

Chatel-Guyon AIre. In middle of little spa town ,next to police station,Nice town whith spa ,and bandstand when we were there ,soloist with piano and we were able to have a dance,very civilised.

La Rochelle Park/Ride. So it's a car park ! During the day ,but the price of the aire includes travel on bus to the town centre.

Well where we are now rates well.

Here at Ange, dept 41, nice setting, hard standing but surrounded by fields, or go on grass if you like. Free hook-up and Wi-Fi (not sure where from!) Free apart from 2 euros for water. Next to small pleasant village with basic shops etc. Great for a few days chill out.

Last night a bit different but still a gem we think. Yes a car park aire but right in village centre and just off N20. All free including a couple of hook ups and Wi-Fi in nice bar cafe in the pleasant village centre opposite church. Almost forgot name is Bessines-sur-Gartempe, dept87.

The other one from this time worth another mention must be Gourdon, dept 46. Individual pitches in lovely parkland setting with individual water and electricity (these charged at 1 euro for 1 and half hours but no other charge) and right in town.

I had a thought about this. Dont know if I uploaded or linked to this before but I created an Aires guide for boating motorhomers or motorhomers who like to be beside water. There are a fair few entries in it now. Mainly for France but also Germany, Italy, Austria and Slovenia.

You can find it in the DOWNLOADS section on our site at www.hankthetank.co.uk Lots of nice photos and all the GPS points etc.

Here are also a few nice ones that I can think of off the top of my head but there are loads like this (if you know where to look ;-)

The ones below in order are

View from the van on Lake Pareloup, Aveyron

An Aire by the river in Burgundy but cant remember where!

Gavarnie in the Pyrenees

Aire at Chateux Biron in the Dordogne

New Aire at Fources in Gers

Aire at Saint Eulalie D'Olt in Aveyron. Mayor came to see us and welcome us. All services and more EHU points (16amp) then there were spaces. Lovely place as well.

I could go on and on and on and dont get me started on wild spots. Maybe I should do a guide an all!

1409629850_pareloup(Custom).jpg.64eed25a7cfa575ddc41ed696b2472e7.jpg

1601083196_burgundy(Custom).jpg.02d6d15f76fbd52154cae2ad28a4ea04.jpg

1664459405_web_gav2_hank(Custom).jpg.09c9be9a4c5935789c04cfb8765babbe.jpg

Biron.JPG.54fb561c63e858a9dc878462c0ac155c.JPG

488317821_fources(Custom).jpg.75c8fee0ae7b0b0618311b9dec484238.jpg

1074082997_lotaire(Custom).jpg.2914eb968b6fdf4c6026dde206aa82e8.jpg

Already posted about this one - on the thread I began, as I said I would, but will repeat details here:

An Aire I loved was one we stayed at last year at St Cirq Lapopie in the Lot Valley. I found it to be an idyllic spot, right on the banks of the river. Places were marked out by logs and picnic tables were provided. Some places were along the river bank. Around the corner was a large field where other motorhomers were taking advantage of then evening sun. No car park feel about that Aire. It was relaxing, restful and quite a perfect spot – an oasis of greenery. Cost was – then – 7 Euros a night. We paid 2 for water. Showers were available at the boating station further along the river bank – 2 Euros. But we used our own. The cost to us was more than we paid at an excellent Municipal site the night before, and didn’t include EHU of course. But that was immaterial, as I loved it there. The only drawback is, I suspect, it’s a long steep climb up to the village.

I like this thread!

Cheers

Gwen

This thread really going well. Thanks for another great post Barry, always enjoy reading about your adventures.

A couple more then have mentioned before but worth another go.

Mortgagne sur Gironde ,dept16, hard/grass overlooking Marina with nice restaurants, free WiFi, hook-up etc for around 8 Euro a night. Great situation.

St Fromond dept 50, on edge very quite car park overlooking small river like something out of Constable painting. In village centre lit all night, small mkt Thursday.

Guest pelmetman

Josselin.............and it is a carpark ;-)......

But in a delightful town.......and free B-)

684620137_P1000406web.jpg.ccbf3ce5edb0bc4053f52ff465bfa231.jpg

1958718241_P1000405web.jpg.ff17d621421676cc9989fb60cd06e13b.jpg

Here are three from us.

Nantua, Rhone Alpes .Right by the side of the lake and 5 mins into town and close to Lidl, Stunning location.

Froncles, Champagne. alongside the canal in the woods at the Halte Nautique. 3 mins to walk lovely walks or bike rides along the canal path. Baker calls, showers at tourist office.

Turquant, Pays de Loire. In troglodyte village. Nice walks and village only two minutes. Nice art and craft shops in caves.

1034466049_IMG_3019Turquant_1.JPG.8f9a59c760d13419328404d2cd0e27a7.JPG

robertandjean - 2013-05-08 7:37 PM

This thread really going well. Thanks for another great post Barry, always enjoy reading about your adventures.

A couple more then have mentioned before but worth another go.

Mortgagne sur Gironde ,dept16, hard/grass overlooking Marina with nice restaurants, free WiFi, hook-up etc for around 8 Euro a night. Great situation.

St Fromond dept 50, on edge very quite car park overlooking small river like something out of Constable painting. In village centre lit all night, small mkt Thursday.

We like the Montagne site, but it is in the CC book as a camp site but for Motor homes only Have seen a Dutch caravan there one of those little Eriba lifting roof ones!

PJay

Well no matter what cc say it's an aire!! But if it has caravan club approval must be right for all.

Another one which we have mentioned before but sure cc think is a site is St Pourcain sur Sioule, dept 3. (Well it did use to be a site). This is a real gem with marked pitches, some riverside, lovely flowers, easy walk to nice town and hook ups(2euros off 4 hours if required). Services 2euros but overnight free.

As an aside have picked up from cc-infos site that the popular aire at Millau ,dept 12, is now part of the camplng-car park chain and as such charge is now 9 euros for 24 hrs which includes services and Wi-Fi. As this aire was often overcrowded this can only be a good move particularly as WiFi now included.

R & J

We like Millau, but usually stay in one of the ACSI sites there . Are you finding that more places have now got easy available WI-FI ? And whats the weather like down south, please?

We are crossing over on Sunday, but will be in Normandy 2 nights (with friends) and then down to Brittany (more friends) cheaper even than aires!! before carrying on south. Would like to stay in France this year not bother about Spain, so hope it's warm, turned cold and windy here again, think we may have had our summer, (I hope not) Thanks

PJay

Yes we are finding WiFi much easier but mainly by going to tourist offices or local bars and cafes, although are picking up more on Aires (here at Ange not sure where Wifi is from but free).

Weather at Biarritz, then in lot was hot and sunny some days, cooler with cloud others but not much rain. Here in Loire cloudy, some Sun and warm rather than hot. Enjoy your trip we are on way home but will be back in three weeks time.

• 4 weeks later...

Now here is one which we consider a gem but many of you would hate. We are now on the aire at Le Havre and like it because it is right in the city and we have been able to visit with ease the great modern art museum, enjoy an evening classical concert, as well as wondering around the modernist apartment blocks (now a UNESCO world heritage site). All this plus easy access to cafes, bars and restaurants.

So what's the downside? Well the aire is very busy (19 spaces but 30 vans on now) so parked close! In addition the aire is bounded by a busy road one side with the ferry route the other, so a wake up call at 7.30am. But it is a separate area, no cars, and hard standing if it rains(but blue sky's and Sun last 3 days). Parking overnight free, but soon to be charged at 6 euros/24hrs, services 5euros by credit card.

So great for us and any other city aire lovers, but not really for Henri, Eddie or Gwen

Guest JudgeMental

I think you have the wrong end of the stick...Have stayed on many packed aires (overnighting on route) and It does not worry me one iota. One memorable occasion on lake Constance (we still had the CB) a very large italian van decided to squeeze in next to us, literally about 1 foot away. I could not get out in morning and no one could use the exit that they were half blocking either :D

it was a real stormy night, lashing down and they had kids and it was about 2 in the morning..all part of the delights of using aires I guess, and why I prefer sites as a destination to be honest, but aires fine as a convenience :-D

PJ, Fings are looking up.....

http://woozor.fr/meteo-gratuite-10-jours/meteo-de-paris-en-france_62_6463_fr.html

Archived