HALF OPEN Sliding Door Stop for Peugeot Boxer Panel Van

I would like to fit a small device to the sliding side door runner on my Autosleeper panel van. I recall reading an MMM article / letter about a device that will allow the door to be stopped at half open which also allowed the door to be fully opened if required.

I cannot remember the name or supplier that was given and can't find it on the internet.

Can anyone provide details of the item please?

Guest JudgeMental

Good find! I looked it up and found nothing, even on Fiat forum..any German van I have looked at have them as standard including my Adria

I made a small device as follows. Find a piece of thick rubber pipe, about 1 1/4in diameter. Cut about an inch and thread a length of cord through the middle. Squeeze the piece of pipe into the channel that the top of the door slides along. Job done, free doorstop!! The pipe will stop the door closing wherever you place it in the channel and just pull the cord to remove.

Hope this helps. :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-08 5:19 PM

..any German van I have looked at have them as standard including my Adria

Ah yes!...With that in mind, I wonder if the item in that link is "handed", just for continental-sided sliding doors then..? :$

(I'd guess that it probably is.. :-S )

I had a 'play' last week with doing something to keep the door in the half open position and this is what I came up with as a 'first go':

Behind the bottom runner in the horizontal piece of metal you'll see a 'capsule' shaped slot, about 15mm high x 1mm wide in roughly the right place so I raided my workshop and 'bodged' up something!

I used:

1 x bolt - fairly fat but with a flattish head about 25mm long

1 x nut

1 x locking nut

1 x piece of hoze pipe approx 20mm in length

1. Slot the head of the bolt at an angle into the slot and straightened it so the flat head keeps it from pulling back out.

2. Threaded the nut onto the bolt and tightened it up taking care to keep straight - this was extremely fiddly even with my little fingers!

3. Thread and tighten up the locking nut.

4. Place the cut down hose pipe over the bolt to protect the latch from being damaged by the metal bolt.

When the door is opened and pushed gently onto the 'stop' this is sufficient for the door locking mechanism 'latch' to bump up against it to keep it there, but it can still be pushed fully open past it if required. This will be useful if parked 'tail down' and we only want the door half open.

If the door is pushed past this 'stop' to get it back (ie close the door) the door handle needs to be operated to allow the latch to move so it can travel past the 'stop'. If parked on a slight slope nose-down it will prevent the door from closing past this point.

Another way to do it would be if you had a fairly strong 'bung' of some sort to use instead, which you could make a tight fit as then you'd have the benefit of being able to remove it easily if so required. I also considered using a rawl plug with a screw in it if the bolt didn't work! :D

Being a cheapskate I use a tennis ball, stop the door where you like and works on German vans if you don't like the fixed point. Park the ball between the passenger seat and the door pillar when not in use, wedge in the channel next to the door release cable bracket at your chosen point. Always carry a couple of spares for the grandkids and other PVC owners. :D

quickweh - 2013-05-08 7:52 PM

Being a cheapskate I use a tennis ball, stop the door where you like and works on German vans if you don't like the fixed point. Park the ball between the passenger seat and the door pillar when not in use, wedge in the channel next to the door release cable bracket at your chosen point. Always carry a couple of spares for the grandkids and other PVC owners. :D

Have you ever tried to convince a dog who is besotted with tennis balls to let you have one ...!!! *-) (lol)

Eddie:

Was it you who posted a link to an electric sliding door set up, not so long back..?

(..I've had a quick "search" on here but I can recall what thread it would've been in..)

I just wondered whether that would also be an option?(..especially for those who have a problem with the sliding doors in general.. ;-) )

C

Sorry W'Star..I should've been clearer,I was aiming that previous post at Judgemental... :$

Someone(I thought Judge'/Eddie)in the last couple of weeks, posted a link to a video,showing an X250 with a remote electric door...

(..it may well've been posted in response to someone who was having trouble opening and closing their slider... :-S )

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-05-09 9:04 AM

Eddie:

Was it you who posted a link to an electric sliding door set up, not so long back..?

(..I've had a quick "search" on here but I can recall what thread it would've been in..)

I just wondered whether that would also be an option?(..especially for those who have a problem with the sliding doors in general.. ;-) )

Yes it was moi......I cant remember what thread and cant find it. I thought it was from Busbiker.nl who make the swing out bike rack (200€ cheaper from german dealer we use).

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.busbiker.nl/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.busbiker.nl%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D960%26bih%3D447

Found this one on a Merc from different company. the bracket pictured earlier would surely just need reversing for RHD. UK manufacturers such cheapskates!lol

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-05-09 4:46 PM

Found it.. ;-)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/One-for-Henry-/31011/

(..I had it in mind that it was "intended" for H... (lol) )

yes post was for Henry but Hugh is thinking about it....see I was right! and it is from buscamper but not on site now *-)

edit: it is in fact on site but you have to scroll right down, and in fact Hugh has commented on video !lol

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.buscamper.nl/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbuscamper.nl%26biw%3D960%26bih%3D447

Yes..it's what I posted on the second post in.. ;-)

I'm not familiar with the X250 door,so is that first image, the existing cable mechanism then?..and this bit of kit just consists of the additional "stop"?(shown in second image). :-S

..I'd originally assumed it to be a whole new cable and latch arrangement. :$

I am not sure that the second image is correct. If you look at the stop on your van you will see a welded strip that the cable mechanism latches on to. The main photo shows a similar bracket held in position by self tapping screws. The photo is for a continental van with the door on the right hand side, the angled ramp section is to allow the latch to ride over the catch when opening and the reverse side forms the stop. The other photo does not resemble the catch in the other photo. The Vantage owner made his own from sheet metal!! There is probably a demand for these given the popularity of panel vans but no one is going to make a fortune selling them. If you are good at photo editing then copy the bracket in the main photo and post on here to see if anyone can source one for you.

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-05-10 11:09 AM

Yes..it's what I posted on the second post in.. ;-)

I'm not familiar with the X250 door,so is that first image, the existing cable mechanism then?..and this bit of kit just consists of the additional "stop"?(shown in second image). :-S

..I'd originally assumed it to be a whole new cable and latch arrangement. :$

No its the same as on my LHD Adria and just a wedge of about 10p worth of tin. easy DIY job...or just buy the German one, fix with self tappers and it will fit a RHD van as well *-)

Guest JudgeMental
goldi - 2013-05-11 5:14 PM

Afternoon all, The german ones a bit dear at 20 euros.

norm

yes it is @ £17 but not all have metalwork skills or a vice

Guest JudgeMental
goldi - 2013-05-11 6:18 PM

Evening all,

I,m sure Judge, most people have at least one vice.

norm

Indeed.....Alas Norm. As I know to my cost, both physical, emotional and financial *-) And as my dearest friend Oscar wilde used to say................I can resist everything! except temptation! :-S

Archived