Winter Warmth (Plan B)

cruiser

Winter Warmth (Plan B)  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, so there's another grand-child on the way! Apparently, we'll need to be around when the baby's due.

No idea why, they've done it before.

Anyway, it means we'll only be able to head to France during October.

So, what sort of weather can we expect then? We'll only have about two-three weeks so we don't want to drive too far down...any thoughts?

PS: How can it be so wet and windy here in May? (County Cork) :-(

We've been there several times at that time of year; and will be there again this coming autumn.

In the southern half of the country usually it's still lovely weather, but with the occasional rainy day.

Beginning or end of October?

Personal view: I'd suggest you really DO need to get at least as far south as the Dordogne/Lot/Bordeaux sort of level, if you want to get warm/sunshine, certainly by the second half of October.

And stay away from mountainy bits even when that far south; as the air gets a lot cooler a lot quicker at higher altitudes.

Investing in one more day's motorway thrash southwards than perhaps you were originally thinking will give you a lot more warmth and sunshine at that "shoulder month" time of year.

Guest pelmetman
The other thing to bear in mind is that many sites close in September ;-).........ditto going a bit further South B-)

Generally, at that time of year, to avoid the highest risk of rain, stay east. Warmer the south you go in general. The wine producing areas give a good guide. Areas like the Champagne (SE from Paris, around Reims and Troyes), Alsace (south of Strasbourg), Burgundy (around Auxerre), Aquitane (although to the west, but between Agen and Toulouse, so long as you stay away from the Pyrenees and stay well clear of the west coast).

These are traditionally the areas that retain reasonable levels of sun, and remain fairly dry long into the autumn (which is why they grow grapes). However, weather is weather, so it will pay you to keep a sharp eye on the long range forecasts before you go and while there, and be prepared to abandon plans at short notice. Generally, the good weather "cracks" sometime in October, and can do so spectacularly, so you just have be flexible. Good luck.

Thanks to all....as usual, some really useful tips and advice. We'll concentrate now on enjoying the Summer, and start some serious planning after August. But I think it would be a good idea to book the ferry now, just in case places fill up.....there's already limited cabin availability on some October crossings.

Have a good weekend all. Summer's imminent.... B-)

Guest JudgeMental

what summer?

ferry will be half empty at best in October, if you want anywhere near reliable and enjoyable weather just drive to Spain. its only a couple of days drive and a hell of a lot cheaper when you get there :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-10 12:29 PM

what summer?

ferry will be half empty at best in October, if you want anywhere near reliable and enjoyable weather just drive to Spain. its only a couple of days drive and a hell of a lot cheaper when you get there :-D

I think he is talking about the IRISH ferry, which may be a different kettle of fish. Do Irish motor homers come to UK first, and then over the pond? I know there is an Irish Ferry that goes to Cherburg, not sure if it's all year

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-05-10 3:40 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-10 12:29 PM

what summer?

I think he is talking about the IRISH ferry, which may be a different kettle of fish. Do Irish motor homers come to UK first, and then over the pond? I know there is an Irish Ferry that goes to Cherburg, not sure if it's all year

PJay

Yes there is a very popular ferry from Ireland to Cherbourg :-D

I'm from a cork as well are ru? Skins and all boys! :D

Archived