High-top campervan test winner announced in Which Motorhome

Which Motorhome has recently completed its biggest ever group test of 15 popular high-top campervans, all based on the six-metre, long-wheelbase Sevel (Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen) panel van.

The magazine’s experts tested models from Autocruise (Accent and Rhythm) and Auto-Sleepers (Kemerton and Windrush), as well as bespoke models from Devon, Horizons, Murvi, Shire, Vantage and WildAx. Plus from Europe the latest van conversions from Adria, Globecar, Pilote, Rapido and Tribute.

Find out who won - click here - http://tinyurl.com/hightoptest

To read the test in full get the June issue of Which Motorhome now - http://tinyurl.com/cojd9r7

Why not get a digital copy for just £2.49 and read it on the go - http://tinyurl.com/6m7mzub

Thanks,

Lucie :-D

Well I'm surprised that WM has recognized the benefits of this layout, there was me thinking nobody else could see how good it was, it's basically the same as ours but we have the longer van and longitudinal bed.

I would point out I don't like the position of grill/oven on the newer vans such as this, much better IMO to lose a drawer and have the oven'grill next to the door as we have it.

BGD - 2013-05-09 10:46 PM

Has the UK gone mad?

£43,000. £46,000. £48,000. Or more even!

For a white-van-man panel van, with some caravan bits bolted inside it?

Yes does seem very strange that our larger better equipped van cost less than that.

Guest JudgeMental

Has the UK gone mad?

Yes it has gone mad or just so used to getting ripped off......welcome to treasure island! *-) cross the channel and they slap £8-10000 on the price and everyone else follows suit...it's laughable. Quality vans start at 32-34K upwards in Europe......

A modern panel van hadly just a van with a bit of kit though, can say the same re overweight leaky coachbuilts...more and more seeing the benefits, at least 6 members have changed recently and more considering it, hence the article.... Wake up and smell the coffee...

JudgeMental - 2013-05-10 6:52 AM

Has the UK gone mad?

Yes it has gone mad or just so used to getting ripped off......welcome to treasure island! *-) cross the channel and they slap £8-10000 on the price and everyone else follows suit...it's laughable. Quality vans start at 32-34K upwards in Europe......

A modern panel van hadly just a van with a bit of kit though, can say the same re overweight leaky coachbuilts...more and more seeing the benefits, at least 6 members have changed recently and more considering it, hence the article.... Wake up and smell the coffee...

Eddie: A modern panel van is actually EXACTLY "just a van with a bit of kit in"

But I agree with you totally on lunatic UK prices.

The price differential between mainland Europe and the UK seems ludicrously massive.

I couldn't believe it when I read the "from" prices in the article for these converted white panel vans.

In the article the UK "Adria Twin, from (FROM for pities sake!!!!) £48,590.

New Adria Twin in local dealer here in Spain: €46,000; which is approx £39,000.

http://www.caravanasosito.com/detalle_autocaravana.php?modelo=00720&pagina=2

There are endless similar examples.

The whole article on the wide range of high tops is interesting. A vital point is made in the summary when Messrs Vaughan, Harding and Hurrell draw their conclusions and I quote.

"The Globecar simply looks like a complete motorhome rather than a van that's been converted. Its continental layout won't suit everyone - hence we've hedged our bets with the top three named"

The other two high tops named of course are from this side of the channel. It seems to support my own personal view of what suits me best. I can't find the pvc that works fully for me and meets my needs across the channel at any price as yet. I do indeed keep on looking but without success. This does not mean to say that others with different needs will not be successful in finding their ideal pvc across the channel.

Graham

grahamw - 2013-05-10 9:07 AM

The whole article on the wide range of high tops is interesting. A vital point is made in the summary when Messrs Vaughan, Harding and Hurrell draw their conclusions and I quote.

"The Globecar simply looks like a complete motorhome rather than a van that's been converted. Its continental layout won't suit everyone - hence we've hedged our bets with the top three named"

The other two high tops named of course are from this side of the channel. It seems to support my own personal view of what suits me best. I can't find the pvc that works fully for me and meets my needs across the channel at any price as yet. I do indeed keep on looking but without success. This does not mean to say that others with different needs will not be successful in finding their ideal pvc across the channel.

Graham

I agree that it would seem a strange 'test' as the differing layouts will not suit all, but I believe the layout choosen will give all the convertors something to think about. Already Hymer are using the shower tray in one of thier conversions, and Adria have tried to copy it. Now if a convertor took our layout but made the fixed bed into a lounge I'm sure a new batch of customers would be found.

Guest JudgeMental
BGD - 2013-05-10 8:58 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-10 6:52 AM

Has the UK gone mad?

Eddie: A modern panel van is actually EXACTLY "just a van with a bit of kit in"

But I agree with you totally on lunatic UK prices.

The price differential between mainland Europe and the UK seems ludicrously massive.

I couldn't believe it when I read the "from" prices in the article for these converted white panel vans.

In the article the UK "Adria Twin, from (FROM for pities sake!!!!) £48,590.

New Adria Twin in local dealer here in Spain: €46,000; which is approx £39,000.

http://www.caravanasosito.com/detalle_autocaravana.php?modelo=00720&pagina=2

There are endless similar examples.

Really? So what is a coachbuilt then...Its easier to build for a start, they build a skeleton and slap the walls/roof on *-)

you can get an Adria twin for approx £35K. Exchange rate 1.18 so an automatic 18% saving plus whatever discount you can negotiate. The UK importers seem to ignore exchange rates and simply change the € symbol to £

Here is the winner of group test:

This is how they are built:

Here are differnt models: http://www.poessl-mobile.de/de/folder/english.html

and prices starting below £35000. You can get a twin bed roadcruiser for £34K

http://tinyurl.com/cbg8led

Or a british backstreet job for £10K more, does not come with "Fiat camper assist" as its built on a van, as testers picked up on... has unhygienic carpet on the walls, and you pay extra for everything including an electric step and door stop!(lol)

And a top quality La Strada rear lounge camper, can even be ordered with drop down bed over the large rear lounge, as these are now available in the UK find it hard to see why not included in test: The only fully wintersied panel vans with double floors etc....

http://www.lastrada-mobile.de/?app=configurator&category=3&itemid=3&menuid=&languageid=2

I haven't had time to read the 'Which Motorhome' findings yet but based on people's comments on this threat is seems that some of you are off on your soap boxes again! ;-)

Our so called 'back street job' came as standard with an electric step and aerial too. We haven't got carpet on our walls either, but some nice homely wipe-clean material rather than stark plastic etc.

It also DOES come with Fiat Camper Assistance for 3 YEARS and Fiat warranty for 3 YEARS ... yes 3 YEARS - not just the 2 years of a 'self-imported' van. We've also got 3 YEARS of Swift warranty too. :-D

Some interesting info here for all Fiat base vehicle owners:

http://www.fiatprofessionalpress.co.uk/press/article/5127

Quite apart from everything else we wanted right hand drive too. We paid £40k for our 2 month old PVC which is the most we were prepared to pay, not £43k, £45k or even £48k!!! 8-)

Vans are cheaper in mainland Europe which is great if you can get what you want and are prepared to travel to do so. However, although you pay less initially do you also get less when it comes to changing for something else? Do they lose value at the same rate there when you PX them, as RHD ones bought and traded here do? :-S

What do you do about getting repairs done to the habitation side under warranty when UK dealers don't want to know? Not everyone is able to travel back to the country they bought it from.

Here's a couple of questions and perhaps Warners could enlighten us with their wisdom please?

Have any of these 'expert' testers ever holidayed in a panel van conversion for real?

Do any of these 'experts' actually own a van of their own - and if so is it one of the 'winners' they 'recommend'?

The proof of the pudding is in the total new vans sold in a year and perhaps Warners could tell us just how many of each model has been sold this time next year - meanwhile current top five panel van new registrations this year to date would be interesting - especially if the experts thinking aligns with the thinking of real life buyers?

Borrrinnng .... Biggest comparative test ever, and ALL ON THE SAME BASE VEHICLE for goodness sake! With the chance to compare 15 vans, couldn't they have found ONE that wasn't a Sevel? Or was the editor afraid that would show up the others and upset a major advertiser?

Sevels are only so popular because of the dire shortage of choices!

I just noticed that the panel-van that MMM say is the best choice, has a max weight of only 3300kgs, and thus a payload of only 420kgs.

Is that correct?

If correct, then surely after you've counted 100 litres of fresh water, 2 adults, (or indeed a third person as well as it is marketed as a 3 berth) a couple of full gas bottles, you've then only got about 100 kgs of less left for ALL the other things (food, clothes, wine, cables, pipes, crockery, pots and pans, utensils, bikes, boots, spares, maps etc etc etc you'd want to carry.

Am I missing something, or is this actually the case for a van recommended as "the best"?

Guest JudgeMental
BGD - 2013-05-11 10:01 AM

I just noticed that the panel-van that MMM say is the best choice, has a max weight of only 3300kgs, and thus a payload of only 420kgs.

Is that correct?

If correct, then surely after you've counted 100 litres of fresh water, 2 adults, (or indeed a third person as well as it is marketed as a 3 berth) a couple of full gas bottles, you've then only got about 100 kgs of less left for ALL the other things (food, clothes, wine, cables, pipes, crockery, pots and pans, utensils, bikes, boots, spares, maps etc etc etc you'd want to carry.

Am I missing something, or is this actually the case for a van recommended as "the best"?

indeed you are missing something.......Mass in running order 2815Kg so thats including water, gas, driver. So even with extra battery, awning etc...a very healthy payload of around 455kg more then many CB.

I was going to go 3500 but dealer advised it was really not necessary and 3300 nicer ride and to drive. I don't know about the drive as haven't driven a 3500 but everything that went in our CB goes in and still legal even with full tanks. Dealer was right.

the longer 636 vans are normally 3500 and cheaply built overweight UK stuff :-D

Is what Globecar refer to as "weight" in their catalogue tech specs, really actually the same as MIRO then?

I'd thought the two things were different - "weight" being sort of "net weight"; ie before addition of notional additional weights for fuel, water, driver, and any buyer-specified bolted-on extras; which when then all added together brings you up to "MIRO" weight.

Is that not so in this case then?

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2013-05-10 11:00 AM

I agree that it would seem a strange 'test' as the differing layouts will not suit all, but I believe the layout chosen will give all the convertors something to think about. Already Hymer are using the shower tray in one of their conversions, and Adria have tried to copy it. Now if a convertor took our layout but made the fixed bed into a lounge I'm sure a new batch of customers would be found.

Yes Colin this central expanding shower arrangement has truly libarated van design. as it allows for far more flexibility and space. You can now have any style van whether you want transverse or twin single beds, plus for once a usable French bed @ 1500mm wide. You don't normally see a FB this size, even in a CB as the bed length normally means a bathroom squeezed in next to it....

Some lovely new Merc campers around but as usual big money.

EDIT: Sorry Bruce I was referring to my Adria, did not make that clear....but I would think Possl similar. here is the english brochure

http://www.poessl-mobile.de/download/kunde/2011/folder/Poessl_Prospekt_EN.pdf

In this identical (more or less) Globecar brochure they state the anvil weight symbol "weight in running order" so yes more than adequate payload :-D

http://www.globecar.de/download/kunde/2013/folder/Katalog_Globecar_engl_Internet.pdf

• 9 months later...
Guest JudgeMental
Caddies104 - 2014-02-24 8:26 PM

Sorry not for me, this post below, why does he stand in the toilet to open the kitchen draw.. Looks nicely finished but layout leaves a lot to be desired.. Bedroom especially...

So you can see the kitchen drawers being operated? So would it be better to stand in front of camera and block the view of what he was doing....Why are you pulling up an old thread to simply support your prejudices...OK you don't "get" panel vans and that is fine, but many of us do.....

JudgeMental - 2014-02-24 9:56 PM

Sorry not for me, this post below, why does he stand in the toilet to open the kitchen draw.. Looks nicely finished but layout leaves a lot to be desired.. Bedroom especially...

So you can see the kitchen drawers being operated? So would it be better to stand in front of camera and block the view of what he was doing....Why are you pulling up an old thread to simply support your prejudices...OK you don't "get" panel vans and that is fine, but many of us do.....

Sorry, but you are wrong, we are looking at getting a Panel Van, hence the interest, just saying did not like the Layout!!!

Guest JudgeMental
Caddies104 - 2014-02-25 7:46 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-02-24 9:56 PM

Sorry, but you are wrong, we are looking at getting a Panel Van, hence the interest, just saying did not like the Layout!!!

To squeeze a useable shower into a 2050 wide van in the case you linked is achieved by placing shower tray in walkway with a cover over it........so he is not really standing in a shower at all, just demonstrating kitchen drawers from that position? This extended shower arrangement is a bit tricky, and if someone is using the shower access to kitchen is effectively blocked unless you have thought ahead and got stuff out of drawers inadvance. Without this layout showers tend to be tiny? We have had our Possl van for only a few days and just getting used to it, but I think the vans work and work well, and our 636 FR has a load more room than last van.

The van in question not for me either but you need be careful as I seem to remember it being a favoitite of Mel B.......a women scorned and all that! :-D

Archived