Sites with no motor home facilities?

ChrisDavies

Hi we stayed recently at Ulwell Cottage Caravan site. A great site but when we came to go we found they have NO facilities for draining a motor home. In fact reception seemed unaware even that motor homes have no means of piping to one of their drains! Is this a common experience at seemingly well-appointed sites? :-(

Guest JudgeMental

welcome to the dark ages and UK camping!:-D

was on a site in Wales the other week with a drive over drain and a tap..with large red sign saying containers only. so there you are with drain open and expected to fill your water tank with a portable container....

ChrisDavies - 2013-05-09 3:48 PM

Hi we stayed recently at Ulwell Cottage Caravan site. A great site but when we came to go we found they have NO facilities for draining a motor home. In fact reception seemed unaware even that motor homes have no means of piping to one of their drains! Is this a common experience at seemingly well-appointed sites? :-(

Certainly more common in the UK.

We carry a length of hose which we can usually attach to the waste tap to empty into a drain - even when there is a " drive over " drain it's not always possible to get directly over it.

( If necessary we use a collapsible container to get rid of some of the waste ).

I suppose, as far as some 'sites are concerned, they'll probably think that they've "managed" with the set-up they've got (making their money off tenters and caravaners) for the past umpteen years,so what's all the fuss about.... :-S

Our van can be a pain in the a*se to empty,with the drain point being tucked right underneath the centre...

pepe63 - 2013-05-09 4:21 PM

Our van can be a pain in the a*se to empty,with the drain point being tucked right underneath the centre...

Sounds like it was designed by a " non- user "

Couldn't you add a bit of piping - with a tap on the outer end - to position it somewhere more accessible ?

8-)

I too carry a collapsible container to empty the waste as a back up

I have fitted one of these Hazelock round tap fitting (the one with the jubilee clip) to the waste tap, I carry a short length of hosepipe fitted with the hose end connector (sorry not explaining this very well).

I can still empty the waste directly into the on site drain if available or 'snap' the hosepipe fittings together and feed the hose into the drain.

We bought one of those waste hog things after staying at a site near Kennet an Avon canal, the only place to dump grey water was six foot up a slope, we have been to Ulwell great for walks to Corfe but the only way to fill up and drain was to block the road at the back of the site near the hill.

Mark.

malc d - 2013-05-09 4:31 PM

Sounds like it was designed by a " non- user "

Couldn't you add a bit of piping - with a tap on the outer end - to position it somewhere more accessible ?

8-)

I did look at cobbling something together when we first got the van..but I think it'd make it too low.

To make it worse,without standing a fair bit away(or scrabbling on your hands and knees) you struggle to even see it...

I have attached a short length of rubber hose to it(taken off an old washing machine drum),so at least we can see where I'm aiming now..

(..and that last line WAS referring to the MH waste tank..before anyone chirps up.. (lol) )

dencol - 2013-05-09 5:10 PM

I have fitted one of these Hazelock round tap fitting (the one with the jubilee clip) to the waste tap, I carry a short length of hosepipe fitted with the hose end connector (sorry not explaining this very well).

I can still empty the waste directly into the on site drain if available or 'snap' the hosepipe fittings together and feed the hose into the drain.

My waste pipe is huge. The upside is that you can drain the tank very fast. The downside is that you can't attach a hose to it.

I bought a very useful funnel with a short corrugated hose on it. Designed for filling fuel tanks but perfect for topping up the water when the taps on the site won't take a hose.

We recently stayed at Wagtail Park Grantham a CC affiliated site where even the caravans were told to empty their grey tank on to the borders !! it was a lovely site well kept but I thought that was very strange! even a soak away drain would have been better than nothing.

Muswell - 2013-05-09 5:45 PM

My waste pipe is huge. The upside is that you can drain the tank very fast. The downside is that you can't attach a hose to it.

I bought a very useful funnel with a short corrugated hose on it. Designed for filling fuel tanks but perfect for topping up the water when the taps on the site won't take a hose.

We have a largeish waste pipe Bought a length of piping from a chandlers and fit that over the end , very useful if on a site that has individual on pitch drain

PJay - 2013-05-09 6:30 PM

Muswell - 2013-05-09 5:45 PM

We have a largeish waste pipe Bought a length of piping from a chandlers and fit that over the end , very useful if on a site that has individual on pitch drain

an old peice of vacuum cleaner hose fits perfectly over our waste outlet

maggyd - 2013-05-09 6:20 PM

We recently stayed at Wagtail Park Grantham a CC affiliated site where even the caravans were told to empty their grey tank on to the borders !! it was a lovely site well kept but I thought that was very strange! even a soak away drain would have been better than nothing.

This is common practice on CL sites. The last thing they want is you pouring 100 litres of washing up or shower water down their septic tank which costs money to empty. Empty it on a quiet corner of the site or hedge or bucket and chuck it is the order of the day. Good for the plants apprently. Or dump it on a grass verge / hedge on the way out.

Wills Wagon - 2013-05-10 12:58 PM

Buy a bucket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes.."making do" on basic, usually quiet "sites", is all part of the fun/attraction,isn't it..?

(..although even then,as MHers,we're hardly "roughing it" are we..not with hot'n'cold running water,blown air heating,fridge/freeezers etc (lol) )

edit: Oops! Just realised that it doesn't sound as if the OP was on a particularly "basic" site(as they had a "reception" :$ )

Yes very common.

We had the misfortune to stay one night on a similarly 'well-appointed' site just before easter, it too had a pool resteraunt , shop, but no motorhome service point, that I could live without for a night, but they had no idea

me "I see it's been very wet. I'll need a hardstanding"

them "Yes sir, I'll just radio 'john' to cut the grass around one"

me "No thanks, I don't want to be treading wet grass cuttings into the van"

them "OK sir just just drive over there, take the second left and 'john' will show you the pitch"

me, on arriving at pitch "Er, you want me to drive down a soft grass slope to get to hardstanding, I'll never get back up the slope in the morning"

john "I'm afraid all the hardstandings are the same"

me "I'll park on the roadway" (5pm couple of hundred pitchs, all empty)

john " No sir we can't allow you to block the roadway"

me "I'll park over there on that large area of tarmac"

john "Can't park there it's a turning area"

me "But the road loops around so there's no need of a turning area, and there's only me to turn anyway"

The next night we stayed at a site which 'only' had a toilet/shower block, which I've used before. On phoning ahead to make sure they where open.

me "As it's been wet have you got somewhere for me to park?" (officialy it's all grass pitchs)

him "I'll move me Hymer and you can park next to the toilet block if you want"

thats the differance between dealing with employees of a large site and the owner of a small site.

Archived