Calais to St Jean de Monts

eddieandsue

http://goo.gl/maps/ahCge   How about this route ? when you say not too much Motorway do you mean the Pay Motorways or the free ones too ? there is a good Campsite [ spit ] at Forges les Eaux an easy drive from Calais and a super Aire opposite it, you could stay on the Aire and the Tugger could use the  Camping , only joking HEE  HEE. 

Hi we prefer quiet campsites preferably near some shops. Yes we travelling in convoy as it is their first time abroad (it is only our third!)

On normal roads we do about 140 miles a day but on motorway we can go further. Just didn't want drive to be all motorway, paid or not as I find it boring.

Hope this helps

Regarding choosing a route, your best bet would be to use ViaMichelin

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

This will allow you to play about with preferences like avoiding toll-roads.

The overall distance will be something over 400 miles and the campsite at Neufchatel-en-Bray (about 100 miles from Calais) might be a convenient 1st overnight halt.

http://www.camping-sainte-claire.com/

I hear what you say about motorways, but ViaMichelin’s recommended route uses them a lot, following a south-western route via Caen-Rennes, avoiding toll-roads and Le Mans.

The toll-free Caen-Rennes A84 is not unattractive and will certainly make travelling easier for a motohome/caravan convoy, particularly when the caravan driver has not driven in France before. Similarly for the N137 dual-carriageway from Rennes to Nantes.

If you chose that route, your 2nd overnight stop might be at Fougeres.

http://www.brittanytourism.com/accommodation/campsites/camping-municipal-de-paron

You haven’t said when you are planning to go to France, but I assume it will be prior to October when many campsites will have closed.

(There are major roadworks at Rouen throughout 2013, with diversions in place. Presumably you and the caravanner will each have a sat-nav.)

Guest JudgeMental

It's a little over 400 miles and we easily do it in one hit.

Travelling in convoy a really bad idea, especially in a foreign country when you should be concentrating on the road ahead and what's happening around you. Rather then where your mate is when one gets caught at traffic lights, stuck on a roundabout, lost etc.....etc...

Its simply a hazardous way to travel. Better drive independently and meet at campsites, then you can have dinner ready, and wine chilled by the time the tuggers catch up!:-D

Derek Uzzell - 2013-05-10 9:52 AM

I hear what you say about motorways, but ViaMichelin’s recommended route uses them a lot, following a south-western route via Caen-Rennes, avoiding toll-roads and Le Mans.

The toll-free Caen-Rennes A84 is not unattractive and will certainly make travelling easier for a motohome/caravan convoy, particularly when the caravan driver has not driven in France before.

If you do use the A84 motorway between Caen and Rennes there is a nice little municipal site at junction 39 - at Pont Farcy - which is only about half a mile off the motorway - with easy access.

Ideal overnight stop.

I think it closes mid September.

Excellent advice from, Derek U, as usual, I would certainly say that you should stay away from Rouen, and Le Mans. Couple of good campsites mentioned as well. Judges advice on convoy driving is also worth noting, particularly as your friends are first timers, think about getting a cheap pair of walkie talkies, for the co drivers to use if you do get, seperated. Have a really good time!

Enjoy

But, you have first to get to Calais!

I assume you will either stop near Dover and cross am, which would not be my favourite, or cross in the afternoon meaning you lose the hour that day, rather than on your first day of travelling in France. The total distance will be nearer 450 miles than 400, so you'll be near your daily limit, and the caravan will be likely to travel more slowly than you.

I strongly agree about not trying to run as a convoy. Apart from anything already said, tail-end-Charlie always has to drive twice as fast as the trailblazer just to keep up! Make sure you both have agreed stopping points and then proceed from one to the independently. It is far safer, and far less stressful. Ideally both use sat navs, as they will make getting to the right points that much easier.

You don't say what time of year you are travelling, but if avoiding the peak season get the ACSI book.

The campsite at Guines, La Bien Assise (GPS N50.86655 E1.85826), is only about 15 miles from Calais, is well run, clean, and using the ACSI card good value - but expensive outside the dates when the card is accepted. We often use it to end the first day.

Then, pick up the D901/D1001 to Abbeville and join the (toll free) A28 towards Rouen. Leave the A28 for the D929 about 3 miles past the Aire de Maucomble, and take D929 toward Totes and Yvetot. From Yvetot take D131 south for Caudebec en Caux and the Pont de Brotonne (toll) to cross the Seine. Then take D490/D913 to Bourg Achard, where you can pick up the (non-toll) A28 south toward Le Mans. There is a well reviewed municipal site at Alencon, La Guerame (GPS N48.42583 E0.07255), en route, that should make a handy second night stop. About 230 miles from Guines, but much of that mileage will be autoroute, so easily manageable, IMO. If you leave Guines at 10:30, you should be there around 16:45 allowing one hour for lunch.

St Jean de Monts is about another 180 miles, almost all autoroute via toll free A28/A11. Again leaving at 10:30 you should arrive around 15:15 allowing a one hour lunch break.

Many alternative ways to go, and alternative places to stop, so just food for thought!

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

We are going in June on the 10.15 crossing from Dover, staying on a CL night before. Would have stopped at P & R Canterbury but no caravans allowed.

Does anyone know whether the aire near the Ferry Terminal at Calais has now closed as we heard rumours when we were there in March.

Archived