Payload

Pete-B

Guest JudgeMental
Getting a bit boring H.......... You know very well I got an excellent PX deal on the camper, and damp was not evident, and was fully covered by excellent no quibble 6 year warrenty. But you keep on repeating the same old same old!lol you really are a muppet :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-12 11:06 AM

Getting a bit boring H.......... You know very well I got an excellent PX deal on the camper, and damp was not evident, and was fully covered by excellent no quibble 6 year warrenty. But you keep on repeating the same old same old!lol you really are a muppet :-D

Not nearly as boring as your anti anything British thing. It was still full of damp the rest is a smokescreen so why this everything German is great when it is plainly not. I gave a string of threads a while ago with complaints about german vans, which you choose to ignore, as you did with Mels question. Put a stop to your daft anti thing and i will stop refering to your self confessed load of German rubbish you managed to unload.

Hi Pete,I took my 2004 lwb van conversion to a local scrapyard and used there weighbridge (£10 or another £10 for each axle total £30.My van was loaded for going away full water tank and diesel,two bikes on.The weight 3320KLG 20 KLG over my gross weight.I think a lot of the weight was due to extras such as oyster sat dish roof air con large wind out awning twin 110 amp batteries and tow bar.all where on the van when i bought it last year.I took the unused tow bar off it weighed 20klg.M y point is its surprising how extras can eat into your payload. If anyone wants the tow bar please pm me.

Baz

Mel B - 2013-05-11 10:03 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-11 5:59 PM

pepe63 - 2013-05-11 5:31 PM

That's okay then....Pete just needs to print out a few of these "adverts" and just keep them at hand,so he can wave 'em at the Vosa chappie if he gets pulled... (lol)

One born every minute...and why Swift still in business I guess! :D

Not sure what you mean by your comment there Eddie ... 500kg is NOT a bad payload at all for a coachbuilt of that length!

As for the legitimacy of the 500kg payload, this advert from Highbridge (who are very well respected) not only has it given in kg but also in CWT so it would appear to be genuine.

http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/newmotorhomedetails.php?ID=668

It seems the E460 was in production on the X250 from 2006 until 2011. The earliest brochure I could find was 2008, which quoted payload as 645kg with the 100PS engine. By 2011 this, measured by deducting MIRO from MAM, had reduced to 500kg. In both brochures MIRO allowed for 90% water and gas, 75kg driver, and 90% fuel. So, it seems this is a relatively new van, and the quoted 500kg is reasonable for the van in ex-works condition with the 100PS engine.

But, we don't know whether that figure is correct for the OP's van, because we don't know which engine it has (the 130PS is a bit heavier), and we don't know what extras have been added (battery, bike rack, satellite dish, solar panel etc etc).

Therefore, rather than squabbling among ourselves over whether it is British and best, or German and best, or offering well intended and encouraging sounding advice that "X thinks" it will be OK, the only sensible way to for the OP to get the information he needs is to take the van to a weighbridge and weigh it fully laden, at the same time checking that both axles are within their individual limits.

The OP asked what others thought he should do. The second post really said it all, go to a weighbridge - "all else is guesswork". What on earth is wrong with that adivce, and what of greater use has been added to it?

That's okay then....Pete just needs to print out a few of these "adverts" and just keep them at hand,so he can wave 'em at the Vosa chappie if he gets pulled... (lol)

Not sure what you mean by your comment there Eddie ... 500kg is NOT a bad payload at all for a coachbuilt of that length!

Eddie, still interested in what you meant by your Swift comment seeing I'm one of the 'numpties' who bought British! C'mon ... translate please. :-D

I think I ought to let all know that SWMBO and I are booked to go away next Friday for a week and I've found a weighbridge a few miles from home which I intend to visit en route, I will post the results when we get back. I will be fully loaded plus all extras including tow bar, solar panel, extra leisure battery, drivers pack, tools and the van has the 130 engine.

Thanks again for all replies.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2013-05-12 7:03 PM

Eddie, still interested in what you meant by your Swift comment seeing I'm one of the 'numpties' who bought British! C'mon ... translate please. :-D

What's d hap's Mel...problems with UK vans legion! just have a look around for heavens sake. while some of you seem to live with your heads up your bottoms, my sympathy rests with the many dissatisfied customers and I have no intention of becoming one........Do you really think I chose to buy in Europe through choice!lol

• 2 weeks later...

We've just got back after a good week at Bladon Chains, lot's of cycling and walking and a couple of visits to Oxford by bus, would highly recommend this site.

Van is a 2012 Bessacarr E460

Plate states, gross weight 3500 kg, front axle 1880kg max, rear axle 2000kg max.

Swift give a figure of 500kg for payload.

We visited weighbridge en route and the results are.

Front axle, 1400kg.

Rear axle, 1880kg.

Total weight, 3280kg.

The van was loaded with everything we needed for a week away, food, clothes, bedding, pots, pans and eating tools. usual tele, radio, tools extra leisure battery, cables, hose, trolley, step, well you all know what we all carry.

Outside, awning, solar panel, tow bar, bike rack with two bikes on and stuff I'm sure I've forgotten.

So for those that mock Swifts figures I say "eet yer at"

We've had this van for almost a year now and done a good few thousand miles and I can honestly it hasn't missed a beat. It's comfortably, drives well and it's everything we expected when we bought it.

In order to find out the payload you need to know the unladen weight or MIRO as it is now known which, if the payload is 500 kg and the MGW 3500 kg will be 3000 kg.

However as you load is well within the 3500 kg there is probably little point in emptying it out just to prove a point!

Glad it goes OK - the vast majority do - we only get to hear about the bad 'uns usually!

Tracker - 2013-05-24 8:15 PM

In order to find out the payload you need to know the unladen weight or MIRO as it is now known which, if the payload is 500 kg and the MGW 3500 kg will be 3000 kg...

"Unladen weight" and "MIRO" (Mass In Running Order) are not the same.

Quoting from the "Vehicle weights explained" section of a UK Government website:

"The unladen weight of any vehicle is the weight of the vehicle when it’s not carrying any passengers, goods or other items. It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road. It doesn’t include the weight of the fuel or, if it’s an electric vehicle, the batteries."

The EU legal definition of MIRO is:

"Mass of the vehicle in running order means the mass of the vehicle with bodywork in running oder (including coolant, oils, fuel, spare wheele, tools and driver)."

The difference is discussed in this 2009 MHF thread:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-71089-unladen-weight-definition-and-eu-directives.html

Pete-B - 2013-05-24 8:08 PM

Van is a 2012 Bessacarr E460

Plate states, gross weight 3500 kg, front axle 1880kg max, rear axle 2000kg max.

We visited weighbridge en route and the results are.

Front axle, 1400kg.

Rear axle, 1880kg.

Total weight, 3280kg.

The van was loaded with everything we needed for a week away, food, clothes, bedding, pots, pans and eating tools. usual tele, radio, tools extra leisure battery, cables, hose, trolley, step, well you all know what we all carry.

Outside, awning, solar panel, tow bar, bike rack with two bikes on and stuff I'm sure I've forgotten.

That sounds like a result then Pete :-D

(Our Chausson doesn't weight much less than when it's pretty much empty...?! (lol) )

Archived