If I were a motorhome manufacturer I would fit....

Charabanc

A heat exchanger incorporated into the engine cooling system, so when I arrive at site I have a full tank of hot water for virtually no cost & that would pay for itself time & again.

Reduce need for EHU or greatly reduce Gas consumption.

Guest 1footinthegrave
flicka - 2013-05-14 10:57 PM

A heat exchanger incorporated into the engine cooling system, so when I arrive at site I have a full tank of hot water for virtually no cost & that would pay for itself time & again.

Blimey, that's a Dragons Den pitch, I like it, and quite easy to accomplish I would have thought. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

You can have that but need to order a van with ALDE wet water central heating, its a common enough add on.......

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-15 6:46 AM

You can have that but need to order a van with ALDE wet water central heating, its a common enough add on.......

Ah Eddie, didn't know that and just looked it up on the web, but it's only been around according to there website since 1966, no wonder me and Flicka have not heard of it. :D

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-05-13 1:26 PM

Derek, my thoughts exactly. I was thinking about panel van conversion design and, for a couple, the starting point of fitting that huge twin rear facing seat compromises lounging space and comfort. A side deter, with decent storage under, would allow for a deeper, better kitchen area opposite rather than the cramped affairs fitted to accommodate the travel seats.

This would then allow for a spcious lounge/ kitchen and employing the 'Globecar' style expanding wash/shower room and transverse highish bed with storage under, would give a really roomy environment on the 6.36m platform.

This hybrid of Brit lounge and Germanic rear end would be something that I could downsize to.

As the market stands, i can't avoid those pesky unnecessary travel seats.

most want the option of carrying passengers. Two vans where the extra length of a 636 van used for a bigger lounge and not for longitudinal beds. They go somewhere toward what you want, you can fit an oven easily enough.... I would have bought the SPX if it had been out in 2011.

Possl/Globecar: http://www.poessl-mobile.de/de/modelle/d-line/4family_l.html

http://tinyurl.com/d6rkwk9

Adria SPX: http://www.promobil.de/test/journal-fahrzeuge-komfort-im-bus-6481131.html

La Strada if you want a nice van with rear lounge and drop down bed option, proper bathroom, loads of storage and winterization: http://tinyurl.com/dxm3rl9

http://tinyurl.com/bn7bp5d

Not as common an OPTION as you might think, Eddie.

Agree standard on more & more vans as long as they match your requirements, but very expensive to rip-out a Truma system & then fit Alde replacement. BUT they are mainly a complete central heating system.

What I envisage (especially as on-board water is only used for washing, showering) is a simple heat exchanger without any electronic gubbins, that can be fixed in main fresh water tank that will heat the water whilst travelling. In theory should be simply achieved, but (there's always a but :-( ) does not appear to be so simple to source parts.

If I were a motorhome manufacturer I would fit high quality fixings, use high quality materials, base it on designs that I know actually work when you live in a 'van, and be fastidious about the workmanship that went into creating them.

I'd then go bust as no one would appreciate them and instead buy the thrown-together-crap that mainstream manufacturers produce. I just couldn't compete with the genius of cocktail cabinets, bling lighting and this year's colours for soft furnishings.

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2013-05-15 9:04 PM

Not as common an OPTION as you might think, Eddie.

Agree standard on more & more vans as long as they match your requirements, but very expensive to rip-out a Truma system & then fit Alde replacement. BUT they are mainly a complete central heating system.

What I envisage (especially as on-board water is only used for washing, showering) is a simple heat exchanger without any electronic gubbins, that can be fixed in main fresh water tank that will heat the water whilst travelling. In theory should be simply achieved, but (there's always a but :-( ) does not appear to be so simple to source parts.

Obviously was not suggesting a retrofit to a van with Truma, although i nearly hate truma that much!

ALDE being a wet water central heating system needs installation when van being built. If you have a secure motion/ drive safe crash sensing valve you can travel with water boiler on anyway. But have never yet jumped straight in a shower after arriving anywhere.....and water would probably be cold by the time I would want to use it...for washing up we just use a kettle kettle. So you can either buy what crinkles suggests or drive with boiler on.....

adria matrix supreme has Alde

Thanks crinklystarfish - certainly worth a look to see if I can fit within our van. I was looking for something which would fit the existing fresh water tank (to save much of the weight.)

Eddie, - nothing like a nice refreshing shower after a long days drive & setting up the van on arrival, especially if we ever get a HOT summer.

JudgeMental - 2013-05-15 9:10 AM

bolero boy - 2013-05-13 1:26 PM

Derek, my thoughts exactly. I was thinking about panel van conversion design and, for a couple, the starting point of fitting that huge twin rear facing seat compromises lounging space and comfort. A side deter, with decent storage under, would allow for a deeper, better kitchen area opposite rather than the cramped affairs fitted to accommodate the travel seats.

This would then allow for a spcious lounge/ kitchen and employing the 'Globecar' style expanding wash/shower room and transverse highish bed with storage under, would give a really roomy environment on the 6.36m platform.

This hybrid of Brit lounge and Germanic rear end would be something that I could downsize to.

As the market stands, i can't avoid those pesky unnecessary travel seats.

most want the option of carrying passengers. Two vans where the extra length of a 636 van used for a bigger lounge and not for longitudinal beds. They go somewhere toward what you want, you can fit an oven easily enough.... I would have bought the SPX if it had been out in 2011.

Possl/Globecar: http://www.poessl-mobile.de/de/modelle/d-line/4family_l.html

http://tinyurl.com/d6rkwk9

Adria SPX: http://www.promobil.de/test/journal-fahrzeuge-komfort-im-bus-6481131.html

La Strada if you want a nice van with rear lounge and drop down bed option, proper bathroom, loads of storage and winterization: http://tinyurl.com/dxm3rl9

http://tinyurl.com/bn7bp5d

Eddie, the Possl looks great with the best front lounge yet in a PVC. Also, a great washroom so a potential downsizing possibility.

I still feel that there are plenty of couples who don't need those travel seats as kids ar gone and don't use van as a car. The option to delete the belted seats would be nice, more flexible, like choosing bed layout.

Will also look at upcoming Autotrail offerings with raised roofs and 'double floor'.

Thanks for the links.

ps, chuxking it down at Mehring on the moselle so nipped over here to Luxembourg, slightly better. hardly a Brit van spotted in first 2 weeks, then they all arrive at this site after lunch, site now full!

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2013-05-16 10:51 PM

Eddie, - nothing like a nice refreshing shower after a long days drive & setting up the van on arrival, especially if we ever get a HOT summer.

what is stopping you putting boiler on an hour before you arrive.....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-17 6:55 PM

flicka - 2013-05-16 10:51 PM

what is stopping you putting boiler on an hour before you arrive.....

Or what's to stop him relaxing with a cuppa and a biscuit ;-)

Archived