MOT here's an odd one, an advisory.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Just had the van MOTd, flew through but two advisories noted on the MOT, one for slight rusting to lower radiator support crossmember, and one for a chip on the windscreen that has been there for three years again within MOT standard.

Now looking on the internet it appears that neither of these advisories would mean an MOT fail, and indeed the lower rad support cross member is not even a testable item, and yet they are now on the MOT record, seems a bit odd, anyone else come across this at all. ;-)

Guest pelmetman

When I put my car back on the road in April after being SORN since October, I had it serviced, new exhaust and MOT which came with an advisory for rust on the brake discs........it also listed the mileage since the last MOT........less than a 1000 miles :D..............which explains the rust :$

So service, new exhaust, MOT, Insurance, Road Tax = £1000.............my Rovers costing a £1 a mile before I put any fuel in 8-) 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
There was chat on here or somewhere else recently re radiator brackets needing changing due to rust..so probably worth treating with something and keeping an eye on....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-11 3:34 PM

There was chat on here or somewhere else recently re radiator brackets needing changing due to rust..so probably worth treating with something and keeping an eye on....

Yes Eddie I appreciate them being on the ball and picking it for me, the thing that I cannot understand is why an item not listed as testable is noted on the MOT certificate, oh well, another £4/500 quid to pay out I guess, too bolloxed up these days to get crawling around under vans.. :D

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 3:44 PM

Yes Eddie I appreciate them being on the ball and picking it for me, the thing that I cannot understand is why an item not listed as testable is noted on the MOT certificate, oh well, another £4/500 quid to pay out I guess, too bolloxed up these days to get crawling around under vans.. :D

Give it a squirt with waxoyl Mike, the new stuff drys black like underseal ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 3:44 PM

my car went in for a service the other week (first MOT not due for a year) and got an advisory that rear seat belts need replacing (£250) due to wife not folding seat properly when taking her bike out with club *-)

at least I know they will need changing and can look around...and you can keep an eye your radiator and prevent an expensive failure as you now know you have a potential problermo as well :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
I still don't get it,you take it for an MOT to test the testable items surely, nothing more nothing less,don't see how litigation could come in to it Tony, perhaps the next time I'll get an advisory that our upholstery is someone faded. :D Perhaps I'll ring VOSA to get some clarification on the scope of advisories. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 5:31 PM

I still don't get it,you take it for an MOT to test the testable items surely, nothing more nothing less, perhaps the next time I'll get an advisory that our upholstery is someone faded. :D Perhaps I'll ring VOSA to get some clarification on the scope of advisories. ;-)

The next one will tell you your ashtrays full :D.........

Guest JudgeMental

I still don't get it,you take it for an MOT to test the testable items surely, nothing more nothing less,don't see how litigation could come in to it Tony, perhaps the next time I'll get an advisory that our upholstery is someone faded. :D Perhaps I'll ring VOSA to get some clarification on the scope of advisories. ;-)

Jeez!........They are just doing you a favour!?!?

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 3:11 PM

Now looking on the internet it appears that neither of these advisories would mean an MOT fail, and indeed the lower rad support cross member is not even a testable item, and yet they are now on the MOT record, seems a bit odd, anyone else come across this at all. ;-)

Ever heard the phrase - a stitch in time saves nine?'

Get the windscreen chip invisibly repaired - well sort of invisible - by Autoglass for free under your insurance and it won't get any bigger or allow water to get between the the laminates.

Get the cross member either cleaned and repainted or replaced at your leisure - which will almost certainly cost a lot less than a distress purchase if it fails to support the radiator or comes adrift.

Thank the nice man for drawing your attention to money saving opportunities!

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-11 5:38 PM

Well that would be a first time Eddie, and the best favour would have been just to tell me, not print it on the MOT.

The main reason I have flagged this up is obviously if I had intended to put it for sale, and wanted a fresh MOT, as you do, the implication is I would have been involved with a great deal of cost, that has nothing at all to do with the MOT that's all, and I'm sure you can imagine that would have anyone saying Jeez.

Guest pelmetman
donna miller - 2013-05-11 6:42 PM

Radiator support cross member for a Ducato is £70 and a couple of hours to change.

Will you help him do it Donna? ;-) ............He lives in Wales :-D............and it'll give you the chance to bury the hatchet :D

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 5:56 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-11 5:38 PM

Well that would be a first time Eddie, and the best favour would have been just to tell me, not print it on the MOT.

The main reason I have flagged this up is obviously if I had intended to put it for sale, and wanted a fresh MOT, as you do, the implication is I would have been involved with a great deal of cost, that has nothing at all to do with the MOT that's all, and I'm sure you can imagine that would have anyone saying Jeez.

if they end up with the radiator a mile behind them down the road they would.....its a wire brush and a bit of paint *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Oh well I'll have to get them to do it, health issues sadly mean the types of things I could have done in my stride once upon a time are now impossible, the cynic in me says mmmmmm. £45 for the MOT, and mmmmm how much to get it done and off the MOT. :'(

No that's not fair really, the garage trade is squeaky clean. :D but I will ask them to show me the rotten one. ;-)

Now it gets even stranger as I just remembered that last year there was one advisory for "slight play in bottom ball joint" from another garage, it appears to have mended itself as no mention of it this year. 8-)

It is an advisory ONLY nothing more and its mainly to cover the MOT inspectors back side the general public would be amazed how closely garages are monitored by the ministry, so any come back though people bringing a car in for test and failing then the no plates are changed on to a similar car that is newer for a retest. Just one of many tricks that used to be pulled.

So the advisory is down on the duplicate sheet that goes to the ministry every month telling them I have seen the minor fault I have passed it but I have seen it. And that is just in case there is a comeback later. IE the car is sold with a full MOT and a know all friend looks at it for him and tells him It should not have passed because of patch of rust with in so many ins of the suspension he then complains to the car sales and they tell him it’s not there problem as they took it to such and such garage to be tested then the ministry are involved The garage will not lose its licence because it is covered with the Advisory. I know it’s all computerised now but you get my gist.

I am pleased when I get advisories as it gives me a chance to sort it if I want to. If I was sellig the vehicle I would would remedy the problem and turn it to my advantage as it shows that I and my garage guys have been fastidious it taking care of the vehicle.

When I bought my van it had a chipped windscreen which the seller pointed out to me and I will do the same when I come to sell it on. It demonstrate honesty and sincerity to the buyer.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 3:11 PM

Just had the van MOTd, flew through but two advisories noted on the MOT, one for slight rusting to lower radiator support crossmember, and one for a chip on the windscreen that has been there for three years again within MOT standard.

Having been qualified as a MOT Tester for many years I can tell you that "Advisory Items" are based on the experience and opinion of the tester. You may well have it checked out again and nothing be mentioned by a different tester. If the cross-member looks and feels "sound", just wire brush the rust off and paint or Waxoyl it. It may be that he was looking for work or maybe he was trying to do you a favour so that you could attend to it before it becomes un-serviceable! ;-) B-)

Guest pelmetman
bigal - 2013-05-11 7:59 PM

If the cross-member looks and feels "sound", just wire brush the rust off and paint or Waxoyl it. It may be that he was looking for work or maybe he was trying to do you a favour so that you could attend to it before it becomes un-serviceable! ;-) B-)

See :-D.............I said that earlier B-)............................I'm not just a pretty face ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks everyone for the replies, it seems I'm not up to speed with the MOT and in particular advisory notices that do not relate to the MOT itself or testable items,I'll put my cynicism to one side and get someone to do the rad cross member. ;-)

If you where keeping the vehicle it would not be a problem, an advisory notice is just telling you that an item that is not a failure might need attention or an item has only just passed and will possibly need attention before the next MOT, it's the sort of service I expect when taking a vehicle for a MOT.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 8:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, it seems I'm not up to speed with the MOT and in particular advisory notices that do not relate to the MOT itself or testable items,I'll put my cynicism to one side and get someone to do the rad cross member. ;-)

Its showing surface rust Mike ;-)................as stated earlier a quick rubdown with a wire brush......the bracket not you >:-) ..............and then a coat of waxoyl...... job done :D..........and I have 3 vehicles older than yours, you old twendy wendy (lol)....................although I do think that blue upholstery matches your varicose veins quite nicely B-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-05-11 8:44 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-11 8:09 PM

Its showing surface rust Mike ;-)................as stated earlier a quick rubdown with a wire brush......the bracket not you >:-) ..............and then a coat of waxoyl...... job done :D..........and I have 3 vehicles older than yours, you old twendy wendy (lol)....................although I do think that blue upholstery matches your varicose veins quite nicely B-)

Trouble is Dave at 68 I've had a lifetime doing that sort of thing, I just can't be arsed anymore, used to pull engines out using my neck and some rope as an engine hoist in years gone by, and breathed enough P38 dust, cellulose vapour, and isocynanate 2 pack paint, it's a wonder I'm still here. ;-) did I hear a cheer then :D

Archived