sambukashot - 2013-05-12 4:15 PM

Great wildcamping spot i like in the Isle of Man

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/images/point-of-ayre-3.jpg

Is that a very small lighthouse or a very big camper? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
maggyd - 2013-05-12 8:21 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-12 4:16 PM

maggyd - 2013-05-12 4:00 PM

Thanks for posting your pics Alan :-D I had been wondering what kind of parking was to be had on F.P sites, do they ever have electric laid on? or facilities ie; toilets/dumping/water ? and if you stay do you go and look at what they are selling or do they come to you ? hopefully not the latter !! my dogs dont take to strangers invading our pitch !! very embarrassing if they tell you to hoppit !!!

) (lol)

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S " your pitch " :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

I'd find it hard to imagine anyone approaching you on their own land accepting their hospitality to object to two snapping snarling dogs, don't give it another thought I'd say. :-S

Snarling? snapping?? Well you know all about that 1ftin the mouth >:-) I did say pitch as in "a temporary place I am staying" not SITE !! and yes my dogs bark when a stranger approaches our van! and Im not going to stop them doing that especially when parked up in a strange place :-S

Tell me DO you have to work at being obnoxious or does it come NATURALLY ??? :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

No it's a natural gift, but thanks for asking.

;-) I too find a few things obnoxious, but I guess you probably know what they are, hence your reaction, never mind eh ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Please less of the misuse of emotions???or we will end up looking like that awful motorhome fun..... *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-05-12 10:14 PM

Please less of the misuse of emotions???or we will end up looking like that awful motorhome fun..... *-)

:-D (>) :-S B-) (!) >:-( 8-) :'( :-( (^) (lol) 8o| :-> (?) :-| :D :$ *-) :-( >:-) ;-) :-) :-o

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

We've not used France Passion either, I don't drink (well very very rarely) so going to vineyards etc isn't ideal for me anyway although I don't think hubby would object! :-D

I wouldn't feel 'happy' at staying in someone's back yard for nothing either, although I suppose if you compare this to paying for an aire, at least you'd have something to show for your 'expense' in a way. :-S

One thing to be aware of though when going to farms and the like is to watch where your dogs go sniffing around, I recall a few years ago of a dog that died from eating some poison left down by a farmer for vermin, so this is another reason why I've always been 'unsure' about using them. :-|

Mel B - 2013-05-12 11:41 PM

I wouldn't feel 'happy' at staying in someone's back yard for nothing either, although I suppose if you compare this to paying for an aire, at least you'd have something to show for your 'expense' in a way. :-S

We have stayed on a few Stellplatz in Germany that were literally in the back garden of a house on a residential road. A bit strange the first time but if the family speak English (Russian is their second language in East Germany) can be a very pleasant stay. The were in the what was East Germany on the coast,one had 2 summer houses in the garden that were being used as holiday lets, old traditions die hard.

The scope of the France Passion (FP) scheme is well covered on their website

http://www.france-passion.com/gb_formule.php

The 'rules and guidelines' of the scheme are on this webpage

http://www.france-passion.com/gb_conseils.php

and there's pet-related advice.

A good number of FP sites are on farms and farm-dogs can be very territorial (read "sociopathic"). I was bitten (just a nip on the hand, but it still hurt) by a collie at an FP farm site - my own fault and undoubtedly justifiable from the dog's point of view. At one vineyard FP site, with nobody around, having walked to the house I was confronted by an enormous Alsation dog and his equally large wolfhound mate - fortunately both proved to be friendly. At arriving at a goose-farm FP site (again with nobody about) there were several dogs keen to greet us, including one on a long chain that looked positively lethal. So, if you do join the FP scheme and carry a pet in your motorhome, I strongly suggest you follow the FP advice for your pet's safety not the safety of other people.

A basic requirement of the FP scheme is that a motorhome visiting an FP site be autonomous. That means no requirement for fresh-water, mains electricity, waste-water or toilet emptying. The guide-book indicates which sites have a WC and which sites are prepared to provide fresh-water if you really need it, but that's it. The FP scheme is an alternative to overnighting on French campsites or aires, but it's not the same regarding motorhome 'servicing'.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-13 2:00 PM

It would seem then that the FP scheme was not designed for the recreation of dogs.

It's not designed for the recreation of cats either, and a good few motorcaravanners cart them around on their travels.

I'm not evangelical about campsites, aires, the France Passion scheme, or even motorcaravanning as a leisure pursuit. I've no problem using a mixture of campsites, aires and FP sites according to convenience and/or my requirements at the time and I have difficulty understanding why this philosophy apparently seems so hard for some forum members to come to terms with. The fewer people there are at the campsites/aires/FP-sites I visit the better as far as I'm concerned, so I'd be daft to encourage people to flock to the very places I most enjoy going to.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes bloody noisy things them cats, you can here them a mile away. ;-) and don't get me started on Budgies ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
crinklystarfish - 2013-05-13 2:48 PM

It's a tough life for dogs, cats, and maybe the odd parrot who prefer to take their holidays by having their human partners drive them about by motorhome.

I think they should rightly boycott France.

I don't think that's very fair, here last summer a van pulled up, and the two dogs locked in " the garage" with no windows were having a great time, well at least that's what I assumed they were shouting. ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-05-13 9:40 AM...............At arriving at a goose-farm FP site (again with nobody about) there were several dogs keen to greet us, including one on a long chain that looked positively lethal. ...................

Good job the geese weren't around, then! They are very territorial, and a flock headed by a cranky gander spells real trouble for unannounced visitors! :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-13 6:41 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-05-13 9:40 AM...............At arriving at a goose-farm FP site (again with nobody about) there were several dogs keen to greet us, including one on a long chain that looked positively lethal. ...................

Good job the geese weren't around, then! They are very territorial, and a flock headed by a cranky gander spells real trouble for unannounced visitors! :-)

Are you sure about that Brian, or could it be they get a bit ill tempered having grain forced down their throats day in day out. :-S

Archived