Scooters and storage capability

arthur49

Archiesgrandad - 2013-05-13 10:05 AM

Really usefull thread, does anyone have any thoughts about how much passenger weight these small machines can carry?

I've had CG on a diet for years but our combined weight is getting on for 29 stones, and she is unlikely to lose much more. There is also the need to have something that won't look too foolish when ridden by a 6'3" bloke who weighs over 18 stone. We are both experienced riders, and our last bike was a Yamaha Dragstar, but you can't put one of those on the back of an old Hymer.

AGD

MadAss manual quotes 194.5 Kg Max Transport Weight (ie Driver + passenger +bits) and your combined 29 stones converts to 184.2 Kg so it would be on the max with helmets/clothes etc (No comments please!)

Might be a tad slow going up the hills though 8-)

I got mine a 2007 model with 700 miles on the clock in 2012, for £720.00 - a real bargain. (New ~£2200)

arthur49 - 2013-05-12 11:13 AM

BGD - 2013-05-12 1:40 AM

The Honda Innova is 125cc, 4 speed semi-automatic gearbox, will cruise at 60mph two-up, has proper big 17 inch wheels for stability, sells by the million (literally) all across Asia; and weighs in at only about 103 kgs.

Simples.

I recall twist grip gear changing and lever clutch in same hand!

I'm assuming semi auto means no clutch and hand or foot lever or pedal to change gear?

Arthur

Semi-auto means that there is indeed a clutch, but there is no "clutch lever" on the handlebars.

The clutch is actually is operated "automatically" in the same motion as the gear-cog change: simply by pushing down on the front, or rear, section of the gear-change foot pedal on the left side of the bike.

Takes all of about 30 seconds to master the technique.

We've done just over 22,000 kms of totally reliable bimbling about on our Innova in the past 3 years now.....out and about from the motorhome when on tour, and also local travel/shopping etc when at home.

The only maintenance I've done is replace front brake pads (about 12 euros) , a new back tyre about 3,000 kms ago (about 40 euros, fitted and balanced) as the old one was getting low on tread (almost all our riding is two-up), and engine oil changes (takes about 5 mins, and uses about 700 mls of any old brand of 10/40 oil) every 1,000 kms.

Archiesgrandad - 2013-05-13 10:05 AM

Really usefull thread, does anyone have any thoughts about how much passenger weight these small machines can carry?

I've had CG on a diet for years but our combined weight is getting on for 29 stones, and she is unlikely to lose much more. There is also the need to have something that won't look too foolish when ridden by a 6'3" bloke who weighs over 18 stone. We are both experienced riders, and our last bike was a Yamaha Dragstar, but you can't put one of those on the back of an old Hymer.

AGD

We are 26 stone, I am 6'-2" (34" leg). This is ok on the 110cc Honda Vision. Much longer leg and you might struggle with passenger on back (but you could try this out on a demo at a Honda dealer). I doubt that the extra 2 stone would make that much difference. Better would be 125cc, if your motorhome will take the likely extra weight (and pocket the extra cash!!). A lot depends on the roads that you plan to travel on, around city a 50cc bike would probably be ok. The only time I would like more power is on A roads with no sped limit going up steep hills, with traffic behind. In my opinion a 110cc scooter is a good compromise solution.

BGD - 2013-05-13 10:44 PM

Just a thought, but isn't 26 stones significantly over the maximum allowed weight for the Honda Vision?

I hope not...... The Honda dealer said it was suitable for us and we teat drove it before buying...... Drives fine with us both on it.

BGD - 2013-05-13 12:30 PM

Semi-auto means that there is indeed a clutch, but there is no "clutch lever" on the handlebars.

The clutch is actually is operated "automatically" in the same motion as the gear-cog change: simply by pushing down on the front, or rear, section of the gear-change foot pedal on the left side of the bike.

Takes all of about 30 seconds to master the technique.

I'm not sure how they work now, but many years ago the clutch worked in two ways, centrifugally by revs, and manualy by depressing gear pedal, this meant that it was still possible to wheelie one of these by holding the pedal down building up the revs then letting off the pedal :D

pkc - 2013-05-14 9:05 AM

Hi Arthur.

Max load for the Innova is 170 Kg.

I have a 2007 model, very low miles for sale, complete with Givi top box.

nice bit of kit, clutch is fully automatic.

They really are great bikes! Totally bulletproof.

(But just to be pedantic, the clutch is SEMI-automatic).

Ipetchey - 2013-05-14 12:14 AM

Just a thought, but isn't 26 stones significantly over the maximum allowed weight for the Honda Vision?

I hope not...... The Honda dealer said it was suitable for us and we teat drove it before buying...... Drives fine with us both on it.

Hi Ian - the max allowed weight/load will be specified in your owners manual. I'd really strongly suggest that you check it, urgently.

Remember the maximum includes all weight you add to the bike:- rider/passenger/their clothes and helmets/rack/top-box, and any other bits you might have bolted on.

Anything over that legal max could give serious implications for your insurance, or in a Police stop-and-check; and frankly much more importantly could really seriously jeopardise your safety/lives; if any structural or suspension component fails when you are riding along.

Ipetchey - 2013-05-13 11:14 PM

Teat Drove? *-) Is that where you drink from a baby's bottle as you ride along? Novel but as they say-to each his own! :-D

Hi PKC

I'm in consultation with SV Tech at moment to see if van can adapted to carry scooter and rack so not in position yet to make decision. Don't want to tow! If I'd wanted to tow I'd have stuck with car and caravan

Arthur :-D

Owners manual for the Vision 110 states 165kg (26 stone), so we are just about ok

Read Test Drive for 'Teat Drove'..... Keyboard to close for my fingers on iPhone!!

Mike B. - 2013-05-14 3:32 PM

Teat Drove? *-) Is that where you drink from a baby's bottle as you ride along? Novel but as they say-to each his own! :-D

I found SV Tech very good, but need to be chased. Although they could give us a little more capacity with air suspension and uprated tyres it was not enough, so changed van. We felt the same about towing.

arthur49 - 2013-05-14 6:02 PM

Hi PKC

I'm in consultation with SV Tech at moment to see if van can adapted to carry scooter and rack so not in position yet to make decision. Don't want to tow! If I'd wanted to tow I'd have stuck with car and caravan

Arthur :-D

Ipetchey - 2013-05-14 10:39 PM

Owners manual for the Vision 110 states 165kg (26 stone), so we are just about ok

Read Test Drive for 'Teat Drove'..... Keyboard to close for my fingers on iPhone!!

No ... as Bruce (BGD) says, even if you drive in the nude, with no helmet or boots you will be over the Max load of 165Kg by 0.5 Kg! 26 Stones is 165.5Kg. Even with clothes boots & helmets you will be over by 10-20Kg.

It may drive fine but I'm sorry but you will be illegal, unsafe & uninsured?!

laimeduck - 2013-05-14 11:08 PM

No ... as Bruce (BGD) says, even if you drive in the nude, with no helmet or boots you will be over the Max load of 165Kg by 0.5 Kg! 26 Stones is 165.5Kg. Even with clothes boots & helmets you will be over by 10-20Kg.

Honda gives the max weight as a guideline not a legal limit. I would very much doubt any insurance company would weigh all passengers in an acident. This is really 'splitting hairs', go on a diet or ignore.

rupert123 - 2013-05-15 10:26 AM

laimeduck - 2013-05-14 11:08 PM

Honda gives the max weight as a guideline not a legal limit. I would very much doubt any insurance company would weigh all passengers in an acident. This is really 'splitting hairs', go on a diet or ignore.

It's not simply a "guideline" at all.

And it's got a lot more to do with safety than legality.

The suspension, wheels, tyres, forks, swing arm, frame, are all designed to cope with UP TO the maximum weight the Honda designers/engineers/parts manufacturers specify.

If you overload the scooter beyond that limit, particularly if significantly above that limit, then as well as very badly affecting the handling, you run a very real risk of a suspension, wheel or structural component failing. And you won't get any warning.

A suspension strut cracking, a tyre blowout, or similar catastrophic over-weight related failure, two-up, at 50mph on a busy road will very likely mean the death of both people.

The Honda salesman was frankly wrong in recommending such a scooter to these people if he'd seen them and was thus able to make an estimate of their combined weight versus the weight limit of the bike.

Ignore the max weight limit of any motorcycle at your, very real indeed, peril.

goldi - 2013-05-15 11:54 AM

Morning all,

The pictures I have seen in the far east and I ndia etc therealways seems to be three or four people riding on the Honda Innova

norm

There are quite a lot of pictures of people dead/maimed too.

We are actually a few Kg under 26 stone with all our motorbike gear on. So definitely ok.

But worryingly how close we were to being over. The dealer never expressed any concern and I can find no mention of max weight limit on any of the Specification lists, Even searching the web I could find no max weight limit. Only in the handbook, which you are unlikely to read until after purchase. So something for any prospective buyers of any smaller bike to be aware of.

Archived