Video Camera Recorders

I'm looking for opinions/advice/recommendations on Video Camera Recorders from those of you who have experience of one or more in a MH. At the moment I favour the Roadhawk HD. I'm not interested in the pros and cons of having one, been there, made my decision!

I'm looking for good resolution, plus speed and position/GPS recording, in the hope that its results would stand up in court should the need ever arise.

Guest JudgeMental

I have a contour roam full HD mini cam, no GPS but other models do have it... http://store.contour.com/

They are really neat cameras. I also use mine when sightseeing, held in the hand visiting places where video not allowed or extra charge :-D

Primarily bought for cycling but use it fixed on dash mount when touring the pic quality excellent. I just flick it on when I want to capture something, its not on all the time..So if I get you correctly you want to leave on all the time? I do this when cycling as its dangerous in London..But in a vehicle surely more chance of getting whacked from behind? The roadhawk is an always on with ignition blackbox recorder..

Personally dont really see the point for such a rare eventuality....Its a bit like fear of flying when the odds are you have more chances being killed by a coconut falling on your head. And if its happened to you once what's the odds of it happening again. the roadhawk looks your best bet I guess but is a one trick poney...choose a sports model, it will do the same thing but can actually be used for fun as well..

I have a Roadhawk DC1 which I used between my car and motorhome it give you a full picture view with GPS mapping your road speed and G-Force and inertia details with or without sound the HD version is the same as the DC1 but obviously a HD better filming. In the car I mount on a suction mount behind the rear view mirror , but in the motorhome I have removed the rear view mirror because it has no rear view having an end washroom and fitted the stick on mount just beneath the rear view mirror mount. The only thing is I have ti remove it to close the Remis Blinds. After what I have seen over the years of driving I would not be on the roads without my inboard camera. For good deals of the Roadhawk Camera's look on the Dogcam website.

I bought one after being hit three times in a year, 4x4 and trucks. THEN no more whacks, it may not work as well for you but they record what is happening and also keep the last two hours or so, starting again and so forth. Also I like it when the cops pull me over for speeding and I offer to show them the unvarnished,"don't let it appen again". When, not if ,a truck clonks you at least you have an image of the truck, number and sometimes face. They cost less than a NCD.

Echo Kelly58 remarks, regarding the Roadhawk

I keep thinking about upgrading to the HD version.

As we have the m/home and a run around car, I swap the camera onto the current running vehicle. I also have a windscreen mount, that enables me to use th camera on a hire car.

I check the card occasionally to make sure its recording, and format the card. To date it has given no problems,

I carry a spare card, as the cards are used in cameras etc. So if I need to take the recording card out, I have a spare to put back in.

Rgds

Archived