Dover, parking, enough to make you spit.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Just spoke to Dover district council asking if it is officially OK to park on Marine parade and get our head down for a few hours prior to a 5.30 am crossing, they said yes no problem as long as your van fits in a standard car bay, but added you cannot encroach on another, nor sleep on any of their car parks. :-S

I'll take that as a no then. 8-)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
Dave Newell - 2013-05-13 9:36 AM

Seems reasonable enough to me.

D.

(?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

Reasonable for a Major cross channel port not to provide anywhere to park, paid or unpaid sounds just the opposite. :-S Odd that they can manage it 26 miles away.

For someone who has their own motorhome, and a business with them seems a rather odd response Dave.

D.

Hi Dave,

Really can't understand why you think it is reasonable, I think it is just another indication as to how most places in this country are anti, or at least not friendly towards motorhomes. What are people supposed to do when they arrive early for a crossing?

I tend to drive straight to the Eurotunnel and stop on the other side of the Channel as it is not worth the hassle sorting anything out when actions like this prove you are not wanted. Typical of this place, ALL they want is your cash. Motorhomers need to start getting together and boycotting some of these places in the hope of a realization that facilities are required.

Sorry-I will get off the rant now.

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental
You can stop over at our place in south London...as long as you stop this misuse of emotions :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-13 10:05 AM

You can stop over at our place in south London...as long as you stop this misuse of emotions :-S

Sorry Eddie, it's my therapy for not using expletives. ;-)

I've got your details though, any chance of an early morning call preferably with a cuppa. :D

I have to say I'm astonished at Dave Newells comment, you would think we would all be pulling together on these ridiculous lack of parking provisions, especially at a major cross channel port

Guest JudgeMental

Always thought it fine to overnight on marine parade...what has happened?

I think Dave pulling your plonker.....

I am going to agree with Dave. What is the problem, get to the port at a reasonable time and park in the port, catch your ferry and park up the following night. If this is not convenient and you wish to arrive at Dover the night before plenty of places to stay the night, of course this means you will have to pay but if, as I keep being told, it is not about money then again, what is the problem?

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-13 10:27 AM

Always thought it fine to overnight on marine parade...what has happened?

I think Dave pulling your plonker.....

Yes Eddie we have done that in the past, but never felt completely at ease with it, so I thought I'd get a definite answer from them. I think the only way folk get away with it after talking to them is merely that the traffic wardens are not on duty. New Dover road P&R at Canterbury is a better bet as this is a dedicated stopover, but I'm not sure what time the barrier closes, another phone call I guess. ;-) after I've had my shower. :D

No plonker pulling at all. As Rupert said, arrive at a reasonable time for your crossing what's the problem. If its a very early crossing then stay overnight on a local campsite or if preferred wild camp somewhere not too far away. When we went to Holland a few years ago from Harwich we were on the midnight sailing, we stayed on a pub car park the night before and had a lovely meal and few drinks in the pub.

D.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-05-13 10:31 AM

I am going to agree with Dave. What is the problem, get to the port at a reasonable time and park in the port, catch your ferry and park up the following night. If this is not convenient and you wish to arrive at Dover the night before plenty of places to stay the night, of course this means you will have to pay but if, as I keep being told, it is not about money then again, what is the problem?

You really have a one track mind, we have previously stayed at the CC site, and the New Dover road stopover, which of course we had to pay for,but for our own personal reasons ( do you really need me to explain them to you ) on this occasion we wanted to book an early ferry, that would have course prevented us from using a site that evening as you cannot get out in the early hours. So just get of the case please and give up with the sarcasm. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Dave Newell - 2013-05-13 11:09 AM

No plonker pulling at all. As Rupert said, arrive at a reasonable time for your crossing what's the problem. If its a very early crossing then stay overnight on a local campsite or if preferred wild camp somewhere not too far away. When we went to Holland a few years ago from Harwich we were on the midnight sailing, we stayed on a pub car park the night before and had a lovely meal and few drinks in the pub.

D.

the crossing is at 5-30 am, if you know any campsites that no one would mind us starting up our engine and disturbing others, or finding the gates unlocked I'd be happy to hear about it. ;-) Jesus

Or just perhaps if we all sung from the same song sheet we could get a Major port to provide provision like they do in France, it's not bloody rocket science, and could be a nice little earner for them, I'd give them £15 or so just to save the hassle of UK motorhome unfriendly plc >:-(

And for those perhaps intended a day visit in their M/home.

Dover Council stated "The situation is unchanged since 2006. We do not permit motorhomes to use multiple bays in our car parks, and the restrictions on size are as follows :- No longer than 5.5 metres inc tow bar; No higher than 2.5 metres inc roof rack or luggage box; No wider than 2.1 metres excluding wing mirrors. Vehicles must be parked wholly within a marked bay

Parking on "Marine Parade" has always been illegal for Caravans, Motorhomes, Trucks etc for several years.

You can however park legally on the "Esplanade" which is an extension of Marine Parade to the West.

There is a misconception about where Marine Parade is:- Going from the East, Marine Parade runs from the Eastern Docks (ie the P&O & DFDS docks) to Wellesley Rd, which is the first turn on the RHS, just after the big block of flats, "The Gateway". It then turns into Waterloo Cresent just outside the Cinque Ports Yacht Club, and then turns into the Esplanade just after. You can park up on both sides here except where it is designated for coaches.

The signs are all there:-

I wonder if DDC were being very pedantic if you asked them "Can I park on Marine Parade"?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were! The dealings I have had with them leave a lot to be desired.

dover.jpg.94487a483fb3db68baa870b88c79aa0c.jpg

1709739502_doverparking.jpg.172223fba6f3995cbbfca0e09765efae.jpg

Jeremy has it exactly right. We parked on the Esplanade last year before our early ish crossing. We were one of about 20 vans but only 5 or so were actually on the Esplanade, the rest (naughtily) on Marine Parade.

Ps the sun has just come out in Lahnstein but the weather has been rubbish generally. Into Koblenz tomorrow for a recce then the moselle and south for real sun, we hope.

Guest 1footinthegrave
kelly58 - 2013-05-13 1:12 PM

Do what the HGV drivers do and find a trading estate as near to the port as possible and join the truckers who have no choice than park where they can to take their compulsory  breaks.

As an ex-trucker I have every sympathy, forced as most are to get their sleep on a lay-by, still it can't be a health and safety issue, after all they are only driving 38 ton vehicles for hundreds of miles the next day with their eyes on stalks, bloody disgusting and insult added to injury with those "tiredness kills" signs. >:-(

I would add that yes I said Marine parade, and really meant the esplanade opposite the defunct public toilet block, but I did ask them specifically if there was anywhere else, they said no. :-S

Not to worry, it's only a 360 mile punch from the coast in West Wales, only should take me about 8 / 10 hours.

"the crossing is at 5-30 am, if you know any campsites that no one would mind us starting up our engine and disturbing others, or finding the gates unlocked I'd be happy to hear about it. Jesus"

Canterbury CCC have an area outwith the gates specifically for early departures

Guest 1footinthegrave
sshortcircuit - 2013-05-13 2:28 PM

"the crossing is at 5-30 am, if you know any campsites that no one would mind us starting up our engine and disturbing others, or finding the gates unlocked I'd be happy to hear about it. Jesus"

Canterbury CCC have an area outwith the gates specifically for early departures[/quote

I'm in the CC club now. :-( Christ knows why though. although we were in the CCC for a couple of years when we did stay there once, but thanks anyway

""Reasonable for a Major cross channel port not to provide anywhere to park, paid or unpaid sounds just the opposite. :-S Odd that they can manage it 26 miles away.

For someone who has their own motorhome, and a business with them seems a rather odd response "Dave.

Not if you live on Marine parade and are fed up with you sea view for which you have paid a fortune being blocked each evening by chancer's that can not arrange or wish to pay for a local caravan site?

Why should Dover provide parking. Allow one and you get the lot.

What is it about MH people who believe they have the god given right to park where ever they please!

Oh and yes i have relatives in Dover who would rather there council tax was spent on them rather than transient passerby. MY BE your venom should be directed at P&O?

Peter

I parked on Marine parade and did not have enough change for the parking ticket. Oh god here comes a traffic warden. I enquired where I can get some change as I do not have enough. Her reply was follow me, so I did and she took me to a street corner and pointed ,you can park down there for free and the nearest shops are down under the subway . When we got back to the van she was back on Patrol so we offered her a cuppa which was accepted. So not all traffic wardens are that bad

WE now have no traffic wardens, They have all been made redundant, to try and drive through the towns high street and adjoining roads is a nightmare, we also have a free car park but a ho its 100m away a bit too far to walk .

I often park up at Folkestone or up at Capel Le Ferne in the Battle of Britain memorial and usually have a cuppa in the café on site. I have also stopped at J11 M20 services (not the big early arrivals one) they allow you to stay for 2hrs free and of course there’s free toilets and Wi FI

Q

JudgeMental - 2013-05-13 1:12 PM

Heavens........Why travel in hope...You need to head for Italy/south of France?Spain for decent weather....

http://wwoozor.fr/meteo-gratuite-10-jours/meteo-de-paris-en-france_62_6463_fr.html

Eddie, definitely not travelling in hope, except for the next few days as we drift south along the mosel 5o Trier and then Luxemburg.

THEN, its of to south of France or Italy, no rush, lol.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-13 9:44 AM

D.

(?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

Reasonable for a Major cross channel port not to provide anywhere to park, paid or unpaid sounds just the opposite. :-S Odd that they can manage it 26 miles away.

For someone who has their own motorhome, and a business with them seems a rather odd response Dave.

I fail to see the significance of my business being motorhome related. Reasonable in that why should motorhomes be allowed to park on street if their size is greater than the parking bays. You have been given several suggestions of ways around this issue, surely there is a pub within say 10 miles of Dover where you could have an evening meal and a pint then stay on their car park till early hours?

D.

Black Horse Caravan Club site has a lot of overnight parking for all night long ferries. I stop there frequently, go to bed, no noise (not even from caravans hitching up), wake up and the place is deserted! Lovely shower blocks specially for these early starters and certainly cannot remember a barrier. If there is one there now they will have left the barriers code with you pitch details if they are closed when you arrive.

Archived