Dover, parking, enough to make you spit.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-05-14 11:08 AM

laimeduck - 2013-05-13 11:14 PM

I really don't think most of you have been there!

Marine Parade, Waterloo Cresent & the Esplanade are several hundred yards from the "Dual Carriageway" which is the landward side of the Marina. There are absolutely no shops on those three roads, which are good hotels, well respected Yacht clubs & residential houses.

Either get it right or shut up!

A very annoyed L'AimeDuck

I'll shut up. I mixed the place up with the Marine Car Park just of the Roundabout at Union Rd.

My apologies :$

Dave

I'm bemused why he would have been "very annoyed" he lives in Oxfordshire, Dover the last time I looked was in Kent. :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

You may well be amused but you're doing everyones head in with these nonsense threads....you were welcome to stop at ours but you prefer to keeping on and on and on....and dover parade had always been an option! (lord give me strength!) you can still stay at ours on one condition. that you don't lock your door so that I can smother you in your sleep and put you out of your misery

Plenty of places to stay! what about this scheme *-)

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-106594.html

I really don't think most of you have been there!

Marine Parade, Waterloo Cresent & the Esplanade are several hundred yards from the "Dual Carriageway" which is the landward side of the Marina. There are absolutely no shops on those three roads, which are good hotels, well respected Yacht clubs & residential houses.

A very annoyed L'AimeDuck

I'll shut up. I mixed the place up with the Marine Car Park just of the Roundabout at Union Rd.

Dave

Accepted with humility! :-D

My 93 year old Mother lives in Dover, in the Gateway, so I am there regularly. Dover can't win. The "front" is now really very nice, a good promenade and well kept gardens & properties, while the town centre is a dump. The surrounding countryside is really stunning - Kent, the garden of England at its best, but most ferry travellers never see this of course. Most people visiting on the way to the port are transient, and it is the first point of call for economic European & quasi European immigrants & few of either group spend any money, but expect everything to be laid on for them. There are Cruise ships in the Western Docks most nights but the inmates are whisked off to Dover castle or Canterbury and don't really spend much in Dover.

I say again, Dover can't win - used & abused!

From her flat, overlooking the Charles Rolls statue on the Green and gardens, I regularly see Motorhomes tipping out their grey water & using the bushes for toilets. They are coming & going all night, parking illegally and are of no benefit to Dover. The port Police put up with them because there is nowhere else for them to go. Can't really blame the locals if they get cross from time to time.

Just think of Dover in a different light next time you pitch up. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

"The port Police put up with them because there is nowhere else for them to go."

A light bulb just lit up. :-D

And Eddie, sorry to be pedantic bit Marine parade has never been an option. ;-)

As for my threads and doing your head in,why keep coming back for more,I ain't forcing you or anyone else . ;-)

oops, three emoticons.

Mike, you post to get responses, do you not? But then, if the responses do not agree with your line of thinking, you complain, and eventually resort to insult. Inevitably, this provokes further response. This pattern is entirely predictable and is the consequence of what you post. To avoid this endlessly tedious cycle, instead of blaming the respondents, how about you either post less, or give more thought to your posts?

You have set yourself a problem you cannot solve, so it then becomes everyone else's fault but yours.

You concede that it is a long and unpredictable journey from west Wales to Dover, yet you intend free camping to overnight at Dover, where this is well known to be difficult. Several posters have suggested alternative strategies, that you have rejected, because you want, against all advice, to stay in Dover - because you have booked a ludicrously early crossing.

Just break your journey somewhere pleasant, then continue to Dover at a sensible time for a later crossing the following morning, after a good night's rest. Your onward journey will then be safer, because you will be that much fresher. All it will cost you is a few hours travel time.

Alternatively, change you booking to a late ferry the night before, overnight in Calais in greater comfort than you can in Dover, and you can start your travel in France better refreshed and at about the same time of day.

Or just stick with your present, self imposed and largely unworkable plan, and quit complaining about your bleeding foot! :-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-13 6:05 PM

With no respect,just piss off. No wonder you're such a miserable git that you've had to hide away in the arse end of nowhere.

Oh dear yet more sensless abuse, I really feel it is time the moderators put a stop to this. I know it is a sure sign of someone who has lost an argument but still no excuse. I like an argument more than most but this poster goes for beyond this with anyone who happens to dis-agree with him. Bit mystified by the 'hid away' bit though 1 foot, I live in one of the most beautifully situated places in europe with fantastic scenery all around, it is a complete joy, why on earth would I be miserable about that. As for the 'arse end of nowhere' it would seem i can get to Dover about 3 hours faster than you so where on earth does that make where you live. Anyway no body really cares where others live, why would they, but this constant anti UK thing really annoys me. All over europe countries have differant rules, this is part of the attraction, if i go to Austria or Switzerland i buy a motorway ticket, i know i am going to have to do this so do not moan about it. I also know these countries and others do not have the system that France and Germany have to cater for motorhomes, again I can deal with this. Same with the UK, which in fact with the range of things like CL's is better than either Austria or Switzerland, I know their is not going to be an aire so I deal with it. If you are incapable of doing this then best stick to France. All this take our money elsewhere bit, this is not going to happen so no one cares, most of your money goes to one multi national or another so UK or mainland europe one and the same to them.

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-14 12:54 PM

Mike, you post to get responses, do you not? But then, if the responses do not agree with your line of thinking, you complain, and eventually resort to insult. Inevitably, this provokes further response. This pattern is entirely predictable and is the consequence of what you post. To avoid this endlessly tedious cycle, instead of blaming the respondents, how about you either post less, or give more thought to your posts?

You have set yourself a problem you cannot solve, so it then becomes everyone else's fault but yours.

You concede that it is a long and unpredictable journey from west Wales to Dover, yet you intend free camping to overnight at Dover, where this is well known to be difficult. Several posters have suggested alternative strategies, that you have rejected, because you want, against all advice, to stay in Dover - because you have booked a ludicrously early crossing.

Just break your journey somewhere pleasant, then continue to Dover at a sensible time for a later crossing the following morning, after a good night's rest. Your onward journey will then be safer, because you will be that much fresher. All it will cost you is a few hours travel time.

Alternatively, change you booking to a late ferry the night before, overnight in Calais in greater comfort than you can in Dover, and you can start your travel in France better refreshed and at about the same time of day.

Or just stick with your present, self imposed and largely unworkable plan, and quit complaining about your bleeding foot! :-)

Blimey Brian, far to much sense here for 1foot, why on earth use common sense when a daft plan and loads of abuse seems far easier to him.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I thought an idea to avoid as far as possible the nightmare journey during the working day hours that is always the case ( M25 car park anyone ) M54 M5 M6, as can be M40 junctions which can be backed up for miles was eminently sensible, obviously not. :-S Perhaps my preference for nighttime driving stems from my night trunking days

I wonder if I had have posed the question " can anyone recommend a quietish spot for a few hours rest during the day near Dover, would that unleashed such an avalanche of ridicule. You must think I'm equally mad to come back around 10 pm and have a clear drive back to the Welsh border, then have a kip.

Lets seriously leave it there eh.

laimeduck - 2013-05-14 11:30 AM

A very annoyed L'AimeDuc

Dave

Accepted with humility! :-D

My 93 year old Mother lives in Dover, in the Gateway, so I am there regularly. Dover can't win. The "front" is now really very nice, a good promenade and well kept gardens & properties, while the town centre is a dump. The surrounding countryside is really stunning - Kent, the garden of England at its best, but most ferry travellers never see this of course. Most people visiting on the way to the port are transient, and it is the first point of call for economic European & quasi European immigrants & few of either group spend any money, but expect everything to be laid on for them. There are Cruise ships in the Western Docks most nights but the inmates are whisked off to Dover castle or Canterbury and don't really spend much in Dover.

I say again, Dover can't win - used & abused!

Just think of Dover in a different light next time you pitch up. ;-)

We went to Dover at Easter for two reasons, 1) Our granddaughter as started to take interest in History and Geography. 2) I've been coming and going through Dover, Ramsgate and Folkestone for the last 35yrs and have never stopped to see what the places offer. Dover use to be a pleasant place years ago when you had to use the town center route from the docks, even now I know of a lot worse places.

The history all around this area is fascinating, and the views from the Castle (one of the finest castles in the world) are stunning along with the White Cliffs Parking area. Well worth a visit for a few days.

Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-14 1:13 PM

I thought an idea to avoid as far as possible the nightmare journey during the working day hours that is always the case ( M25 car park anyone ) M54 M5 M6, as can be M40 junctions which can be backed up for miles was eminently sensible, obviously not. :-S Perhaps my preference for nighttime driving stems from my night trunking days

I wonder if I had have posed the question " can anyone recommend a quietish spot for a few hours rest during the day near Dover, would that unleashed such an avalanche of ridicule. You must think I'm equally mad to come back around 10 pm and have a clear drive back to the Welsh border, then have a kip in the deserted car park in Welshpool where it is allowed.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-14 1:25 PM

I wonder if I had have posed the question " can anyone recommend a quietish spot for a few hours rest during the day near Dover, would that unleashed such an avalanche of ridicule. You must think I'm equally mad to come back around 10 pm and have a clear drive back to the Welsh border, then have a kip in the deserted car park in Welshpool where it is allowed.

Bit of constraint there Mike. :D :D

It boils down to Dover's loss, Calais's gain. One up for the French.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-14 12:54 PM

Amen....

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-05-14 2:16 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-14 1:25 PM

Bit of constraint there Mike. :D :D

It boils down to Dover's loss, Calais's gain. One up for the French.

Dave

That is precisely the point Dave, to get out of this dump of a country with all it's very poor provision for us folk, and get where there is an enlightened point of view, something very sadly lacking in the UK, along with some of the forum posters on here. :-S

A French man contemplating getting a few hours rest in France before a ferry would simply not understand the majority of this thread would he ?.

Oh well I ain't French.

Guest JudgeMental

Fat chance! you utter head the ball.....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-14 2:48 PM

Fat chance! you utter head the ball.....

Self fulfilling prophesy eh Ed,

I say leave it,

but it seems it's like crack cocaine for some. :D your looking for your next hit. ;-)

By the way I've been told the best time to use the M25 is either late at night, or the early hours of the morning, wrong obviously. :D so back to plan x for me, nice traffic free drive down the M40/M25 first thing in the morning to get a 10.30 am ferry, far more sense than my original plan, you see I have listened.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-14 2:40 PM

That is precisely the point Dave, to get out of this dump of a country with all it's very poor provision for us folk, and get where there is an enlightened point of view, something very sadly lacking in the UK, along with some of the forum posters on here...

I have some sympathy with footies position. We, after all, have (mostly I'm guessing) paid tens of thousands in taxes over many decades to central and local governments in order for them to provide infrastructure and services. As is well documented, much of this is squandered or simply stolen to the detriment of the honest hard-working citizen. It doesn't seem unreasonable therefore, as a tax paying decent British citizen, to be afforded the right to park a vehicle in a public place. In this simple respect I understand footies' frustrations.

But we can, of course, park in public places. Sometimes this is not in exactly the place we would prefer, and sometimes there is good reason for this. Other citizens have rights and interests too: and here I have less sympathy. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to have to accept responsibility for choosing to drive a larger (than a car) vehicle and live with the compromises that inevitably brings. We have to accept that much of the island is overcrowded and much of the infrastructure is simply a progression from footpaths and bridleways.

It remains, in my experience, absurdly easy to park / camp / overnight in a motorhome in the UK in and I do not see what the fuss is about. Fair enough, it may mean you can't park etc in exactly the spot you may fancy, but what the hey, the clue's in the name MOTORHOME. We choose to use larger vehicles, no one forces us.

And, from a good deal of experience, I don't accept that all is magically better once over the channel. You can't just park wherever you like in mainland Europe either. Even in the heralded utopia of France there are restrictions and there is localised resentment.

I have, for years, moved freely around in GB and parked / informally overnighted in hundreds of perfectly tranquil and pleasant spots with relatively little difficulty. Fair enough I might not be able to park right next to the door of a particular visitor attraction, but I often can't in France either.

Anyone having massive difficulty enjoying a motorhome in the UK must, in my estimation, lack something in the way of imagination. We have it all; from peaceful spots off formal sites, to bustling urban formal sites - and everything in between.

I don't get the 'GB is terrible to motorhome in' thing.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Whilst I take on board your point of view, there are Motor-homes, and Motor-homes, we have a bog standard 5.5 Mtr panel van conversion, a UK standard parking bay is 4.8 x 2.4 metres, thereby hangs the difficulty very often.

Having once coming back to find a fixed penalty on an almost deserted car park I'm paranoid now, together with once nodding off on the service area on the M4 and staying 10 minutes over the 2 hours allocated, to later getting a demand from Parking Eye for £80, makes me even more paranoid.

If I get one in France my defence will be I don't understand the lingo.

Never mind I think we shall probably get rid of the van at the end of this Summer in any event. ;-) and do something different, maybe a boat on the cut. :D

I get it and I too would be frustrated by the misfortune of running into a couple of pedants / unethical cash-cow operators. I also lament that values in GB's society are horribly skewed and the manipulative and malevolent parasite on the decent majority.

We are not alone though and it's only because we have a deeper understanding of our own society that we clearly see the flaws. Witness the corruption and disaffection in other euro countries. French corruption runs right to the very top.

Officialdom? Well I've been stopped / hassled in many countries whilst driving motorhomes by Police / Customs, including (by both) in France, but that's never happened to me (yet) in the UK. I thought we were in for a tug in Scotland last year as a traffic patrol car drew level with us but the occupants just grinned broadly and gave us a massive thumbs up.

And if you want jobsworths, try crossing an African border in a UK registered motorhome. It can take hours, days even, and you can easily have anything that looks remotely interesting or expensive 'confiscated'.

Granted motorhomers are not particularly catered for in the UK but often that's because there are good reasons. We have limited space and we are not, in the round, an attractive user group. We cause visual blight, we leave rubbish, we cause noise nuisance, we tip toilets out in the bushes. Why would any council want us around?

Also, I have the 'living on the cut' Tee-shirt. It's like motorhoming but is more expensive, there are more restrictions, it's more claustrophobic and there is a national sport of s**tty kids bricking you every time you put-put 'peacefully' under a bridge.

We are not as badly off as is seemingly popularly thought on this forum.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I've found the perfect solution, Google Earth street view, the comfort of my own home, and go anywhere I like at the click of a mouse. :D That's it, van on Ebay today. :D

just spent 3 nights at Marine Parade in Dover. We broke down on Sunday morning that is 6.00am for a 8.00 sailing could not get a new starter motor till 3.00pm Monday so only made a Tuesday sailing. The Trafic warden was a Gold Plated STAR she wrote us a note telling all trafic wardens of our problem so no agro from them. Loads of other vans parked over night again no problems.Just turn up and park after 6 at night its free till 9 next morning, £1 per hour after or £7.50 for all day, the wardens do not have a problem with vans parking a MH but not sure of long vans taking up two or more spaces but did see one parked on the wrong side but they were with a swiming group of at least 100 swimmers so might have had permission !!!!.

Have fun.

Guest JudgeMental
Zydeco Joe - 2013-05-15 10:01 AM

just spent 3 nights at Marine Parade in Dover. We broke down on Sunday morning that is 6.00am for a 8.00 sailing could not get a new starter motor till 3.00pm Monday so only made a Tuesday sailing. The Trafic warden was a Gold Plated STAR she wrote us a note telling all trafic wardens of our problem so no agro from them. Loads of other vans parked over night again no problems.Just turn up and park after 6 at night its free till 9 next morning, £1 per hour after or £7.50 for all day, the wardens do not have a problem with vans parking a MH but not sure of long vans taking up two or more spaces but did see one parked on the wrong side but they were with a swiming group of at least 100 swimmers so might have had permission !!!!.

Have fun.

Naw.....not good enough..the grumble wants a gold plated invitation from the Mayor......

Guest Peter James

I parked overnight on Channel View Road, Dover 51.117532,1.305721

Nice quiet cul de sac, room to turn round at the end, and a nice view of the Channel.

Lorries park up around there, the 'residents' are shipping businesses who don't seem to mind, and having a vehicle shorter than a 16m lorry means there is usually a spare space between them.

Archived