Dover, parking, enough to make you spit.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-15 10:11 AM

Zydeco Joe - 2013-05-15 10:01 AM

just spent 3 nights at Marine Parade in Dover. We broke down on Sunday morning that is 6.00am for a 8.00 sailing could not get a new starter motor till 3.00pm Monday so only made a Tuesday sailing. The Trafic warden was a Gold Plated STAR she wrote us a note telling all trafic wardens of our problem so no agro from them. Loads of other vans parked over night again no problems.Just turn up and park after 6 at night its free till 9 next morning, £1 per hour after or £7.50 for all day, the wardens do not have a problem with vans parking a MH but not sure of long vans taking up two or more spaces but did see one parked on the wrong side but they were with a swiming group of at least 100 swimmers so might have had permission !!!!.

Have fun.

Naw.....not good enough..the grumble wants a gold plated invitation from the Mayor......

what's your problem Eddie, I simply wanted to know from Dover district council where I could legitimately stop without causing a problem for myself, or the residents of Dover just for a few hours shut eye. And it is not Marine parade, it's the Esplanade, as informed by other forum users, although they did not have a clue it appears at the council, but obviously this guy had a special reason for being in the "wrong place"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sambukashot - 2013-05-15 10:30 AM
shaggy - 2013-05-15 10:24 AMMaybe if the French had bought the Port of Dover as was rumoured then the they may have considered building an aire within the fence?Gavin

And a Carrefour next to it...

As long as the wine is the same price!

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-14 1:13 PM

I thought an idea to avoid as far as possible the nightmare journey during the working day hours that is always the case ( M25 car park anyone ) M54 M5 M6, as can be M40 junctions which can be backed up for miles was eminently sensible, obviously not. :-S Perhaps my preference for nighttime driving stems from my night trunking days.............

That route, according to Autoroute, is 311 miles and about 4 hours 45 minutes driving.

A suggestion: I think you are starting from near Tywyn?

Take A489/A49/A44 to Worcester. Then M5 south to Gloucester (lunch break 1 hour at Stensham services, arr 13:30 approx), then A417/A419 to Swindon. M4 to Reading, then A322 via Bracknell to M3. M3 to M25 (south) then M25/M26/M20 to Dover.

That should eliminate most of your "favourite" bottlencks, including around Brum, and reduces your exposure to M25 crawl, plus eliminates the Dartford crossings.

The distance is 322 miles, so only 11 miles further, and setimated time 5 hours 12 minutes, so only 30 minutes longer, but with fewer potential hold-ups en route.

On any given day hold-ups are possible anywhere, but if you left around 10:00 am the morning rush should have cleared, and you'd be well clear of the M25 before the evening rush began. The M4 - A322 - M3 bridge, to avoid the M25 between J16 (M40) and J12 (M3), has always worked well for us outside peak hours. So, drive a bit further to gain more certainty over journey time? Even being ultra pessimistic, you should be in Dover about 17:30.

Then, to avoid the awkwardness of the very early ferry next morning, you could easily take a late ferry that night, (say one hour to book in, 18:30 ferry, meal on boat, arrive say 21:00.) or a later one the next morning. I'd go for a later one that night, and take your overnight break at Calais, or in a nearby aire, and start the next morning better rested into the bargain.

Zydeco Joe - 2013-05-15 10:01 AM

just spent 3 nights at Marine Parade in Dover. We broke down on Sunday morning that is 6.00am for a 8.00 sailing could not get a new starter motor till 3.00pm Monday so only made a Tuesday sailing. The Traffic warden was a Gold Plated STAR she wrote us a note telling all trafic wardens of our problem so no agro from them. Loads of other vans parked over night again no problems..

Well, judging from the above post and Ham's post on page 1(where a warden directed them to a street where they could park up for free!),it sounds like they've got a friendly bunch operating down there.. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-15 4:26 PM

I thought an idea to avoid as far as possible the nightmare journey during the working day hours that is always the case ( M25 car park anyone ) M54 M5 M6, as can be M40 junctions which can be backed up for miles was eminently sensible, obviously not. :-S Perhaps my preference for nighttime driving stems from my night trunking days.............

That route, according to Autoroute, is 311 miles and about 4 hours 45 minutes driving.

Take A489/A49/A44 to Worcester. Then M5 south to Gloucester (lunch break 1 hour at Stensham services, arr 13:30 approx), then A417/A419 to Swindon. M4 to Reading, then A322 via Bracknell to M3. M3 to M25 (south) then M25/M26/M20 to Dover.

That should eliminate most of your "favourite" bottlencks, including around Brum, and reduces your exposure to M25 crawl, plus eliminates the Dartford crossings.

The distance is 322 miles, so only 11 miles further, and setimated time 5 hours 12 minutes, so only 30 minutes longer, but with fewer potential hold-ups en route.

On any given day hold-ups are possible anywhere, but if you left around 10:00 am the morning rush should have cleared, and you'd be well clear of the M25 before the evening rush began. The M4 - A322 - M3 bridge, to avoid the M25 between J16 (M40) and J12 (M3), has always worked well for us outside peak hours. So, drive a bit further to gain more certainty over journey time? Even being ultra pessimistic, you should be in Dover about 17:30.

Then, to avoid the awkwardness of the very early ferry next morning, you could easily take a late ferry that night, (say one hour to book in, 18:30 ferry, meal on boat, arrive say 21:00.) or a later one the next morning. I'd go for a later one that night, and take your overnight break at Calais, or in a nearby aire, and start the next morning better rested into the bargain.

Nah........To easy!!!! :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2013-05-15 4:26 PM

I appreciate the trouble you've gone to with your post, we have tried numerous routes including that, it can easily be 2.5 hours just to get to the A49 at Ludlow, done it a million times, all of the roads to that point are very slow and rural, and god forbid we get behind an old lady, or a tractor or two. From there via the the rest of the route the best time we have ever done it contrary to Autoroutes figures was around 6 to 6.5 hours without a break, and hammering along when we were able to, it killed me.

This time after talking to someone else just yesterday here, who does the same trip, we are going to go from Aberdyfi, across country to Newport, the severn crossing, then pick up the M4 try cutting down to Bagshot, a short bit of M3 then M25 etc. but he has said we'll still be looking at 6 hours plus at least, but I do take on board perhaps the early ferry was not the best of ideas, even though my agenda was to as far as possible avoid traffic, perhaps we should move to Kent, anyway thanks Brian. ;-)

Interestingly, that appears to be 321 miles, so the same distance to within 1 mile! Odd, as it looks the longer. Nothing like local knowledge when plotting routes. Looks good, though probbaly a bit slower initially, but quicker once you get to M4.

My clockwork friend says leave at 10:00, arrive at 17:00, allowing an hour for lunch. May the M4 flow with you! :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
To be honest Brian, despite living here for 20 odd years, we still feel very much like being on an island, first decent road in any direction is bloody miles, that's what takes the time, still it's only usually sheep that pass for traffic jams, so we can't have it all ways. ;-)

Hey footie, I know you know about those extendible VWT5s - would one work for you? T5s handle quite well and are fast as Larry so you could blast past tractors and such on narrowish roads no hassle. They are also low and fit in a normal car parking space. You could torment local councils a treat.

Guest JudgeMental
crinklystarfish - 2013-05-16 9:13 AM

Hey footie, I know you know about those extendible VWT5s - would one work for you? T5s handle quite well and are fast as Larry so you could blast past tractors and such on narrowish roads no hassle. They are also low and fit in a normal car parking space. You could torment local councils a treat.

Very good sliding door.....far better then fiat. small van though and fiat better I think.

Not sure if your in Wales as I thought you where ?? I drive London to Swansea and back about 3 times a year dropping son at and from Uni. It always seems to take 4 hrs with nearly an hour of that getting out of London. And as we are 1.5 hrs from tunnel and a little further from port surely 6 hrs tops from wales?

In the 7 returns over last 2 years ( going again June) have only been really held up one Friday night due to horrendous diversion and jams due to bridge works on M4 in Wales ( should have done my homework). I would leave at 10 as Kirbys suggests, and change crossing to evening. Or you can still stop at ours.....

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes I've seen them but at 54k a bit out of my price range, although I do like the look of 175 bhp, but to torment local councils would make my life complete. :D :D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-16 10:09 AM

Not sure if your in Wales as I thought you where ?? I drive London to Swansea and back about 3 times a year dropping son at and from Uni. It always seems to take 4 hrs with nearly an hour of that getting out of London. And as we are 1.5 hrs from tunnel and a little further from port surely 6 hrs tops from wales?

In the 7 returns over last 2 years ( going again June) have only been really held up one Friday night due to horrendous diversion and jams due to bridge works on M4 in Wales ( should have done my homework). I would leave at 10 as Kirbys suggests, and change crossing to evening. Or you can still stop at ours.....

Eddie, may have escaped your notice but Wales extends a bit north of Swansea and can be a bit more complicated than a drive down the motorway to Swansea.

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-16 10:09 AM

Very good sliding door.....far better then fiat. small van though and fiat better I think.

Aberdyfi Eddie, 3.5 hours or thereabouts from the severn crossing, all cross country on single lane twisting roads, not easy to make progress any time. I have changed the ferry time to early evening after considering all the options bought up in the thread, and will probably park and overnight at Tardinghen private Aire, thanks for the stopover offer though, ;-) Just wish they'd move Dover somewhere closer to us, although only 330 miles it always seems like 630 miles whichever route we take, one of the penalties of living in the arse end of nowhere. :D

kelly58 - 2013-05-13 1:12 PM

Do what the HGV drivers do and find a trading estate as near to the port as possible and join the truckers who have no choice than park where they can to take their compulsory  breaks.

This ^^^^

To which I would just add.....

spend zero money in Dover......do not give them any business.

Yes I once committed the heinous 'crime' of daring to park up on Dover front. I woke to a howling force ten gale, rain lashing down like a monsoon, yet that still didn't stop a Dover parkie slapping a ticket on my van.......the only vehicle there.

I paid the ticket and got the hell out of the dump hole as I was glad to be leaving sh*tey Blighty. If I have to overnight there I find an out of town back street, but I vowed never to spend a penny cent of my money there ever again. The more people that do this, the sooner town centres will crumble (and Dover is not far off that now).

What a refreshing attitude and common sense approach Europe has toward the motoring public where in many cases you can park central entirely free for the first 30mins or even an hour. And as for the Autobahn rest stops in Germany, Poland, Austria etc where Motorhome travellers are actually made welcome.......UK has a lot to learn and one hell of a long way to go before they even catch up.

Bulletguy - 2013-05-16 9:25 PM

kelly58 - 2013-05-13 1:12 PM

Do what the HGV drivers do and find a trading estate as near to the port as possible and join the truckers who have no choice than park where they can to take their compulsory  breaks.

This ^^^^

To which I would just add.....

spend zero money in Dover......do not give them any business.

Yes I once committed the heinous 'crime' of daring to park up on Dover front. I woke to a howling force ten gale, rain lashing down like a monsoon, yet that still didn't stop a Dover parkie slapping a ticket on my van.......the only vehicle there.

I paid the ticket and got the hell out of the dump hole as I was glad to be leaving sh*tey Blighty. If I have to overnight there I find an out of town back street, but I vowed never to spend a penny cent of my money there ever again. The more people that do this, the sooner town centres will crumble (and Dover is not far off that now).

What a refreshing attitude and common sense approach Europe has toward the motoring public where in many cases you can park central entirely free for the first 30mins or even an hour. And as for the Autobahn rest stops in Germany, Poland, Austria etc where Motorhome travellers are actually made welcome.......UK has a lot to learn and one hell of a long way to go before they even catch up.

I'm fairly certain Dover does not miss you or your money. You park illegally and get a ticket . Well done Dover!

laimeduck - 2013-05-16 10:51 PM

I'm fairly certain Dover does not miss you or your money. You park illegally and get a ticket . Well done Dover!

Interesting. Though of course your opinion and view is just slightly biased by having family residing there.

When I went fuming to the Council Offices to pay the ticket I was surprised by the response from across the desk.....which was the absolute opposite of yours. She actually admitted that they get inundated with complaints from local shop keepers losing trade due to the over zealous ' jobs worth parkies'.

Not my problem any longer as the only use I now have for Dover is boarding Ferries.

So yes...... .three cheers, lots of 'hurrahs' and "well done Dover" for how to close a town down.

Best plan is to use the Old Dover rd Park and ride in Canterbury £3.50 per 24 hours ,20mins from Dover ,free bus into Canterbury and return .Nice pub on edge of site ,and you dont have to put up with the noise of the boats as they enter the harbour ,or the tannoy from port if wind is in wrong direction.They want you to spend your money in Canterbury.

I thought we had established 6000 posts ago that you could still park on Waterloo Cresent and the Esplanade overnight which also seems to be the opinion on the other forums so what is the problem?

Last year for the first time we didnt stop and carried on into France. Only bother with that is we had a 320 mile trip to Dover and were late for the ferry. Got there at 3:45 for the 4pm DFDS only to be pulled and boarded by customs, 3:59 we got to the check in desk and they let us on. Last van on.

Dont think Ill bother staying in Dover again. It is pretty grim.

Guest JudgeMental

Correct.......The whole thread a nonsense.....

Turning up "late" is a well known ruse of drug/people smugglers :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
FRANKP60 - 2013-05-18 7:32 AM

Best plan is to use the Old Dover rd Park and ride in Canterbury £3.50 per 24 hours ,20mins from Dover ,free bus into Canterbury and return .Nice pub on edge of site ,and you dont have to put up with the noise of the boats as they enter the harbour ,or the tannoy from port if wind is in wrong direction.They want you to spend your money in Canterbury.

yes we have used it before, but I could not remember what time the barrier is closed to incoming vehicles, I thought it was about 7 pm ?

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-18 12:43 PM

FRANKP60 - 2013-05-18 7:32 AM

yes we have used it before, but I could not remember what time the barrier is closed to incoming vehicles, I thought it was about 7 pm ?

According to Canterbury Parking Services entry is possible from 06.00 to 20.30, exit is possible at any time.

Andy

JudgeMental - 2013-05-18 10:43 AM

Turning up "late" is a well known ruse of drug/people smugglers :D

Ahh! Never been stopped before when we have been on time!

He wasnt very good then as all he seemed interested in is if we had any weapons or knives. Loads in the kitchen I told him.

There were 40 transparent takeaway boxes in a box under the dinette in full view full of funny looking brown powder. He didnt even ask what they were!!!

Six months supply of Lemon Tea. Honest! (lol)

Archived