Campsites on the Vendee

auntyjanet1

Has anyone any recommendations for campsites on the Vendee coast and Green Venice area ,we are staying on a couple of aires on the way down so need to charge batteries and hopefully get some sun on the coast .After that maybe south towards the Gironde or across towards Bourges.any ideas?

auntyjanet1 - 2013-05-13 1:29 PM

Has anyone any recommendations for campsites on the Vendee coast and Green Venice area ,we are staying on a couple of aires on the way down so need to charge batteries and hopefully get some sun on the coast .After that maybe south towards the Gironde or across towards Bourges.any ideas?

Would definitely recommend site : " La Venise Verte " in Coulon ( Green Venice area ). ACSI site.

Free WiFI available - near the reception buildings.

( Flat / wooded area around the canals with excellent cycling trails around if that's your thing ).

Coulon is a nice little town - approx half a mile from the site.

Also the aire at Coulon has been considerably enlarged in the last couple of years - now takes at least 40 vans I should think.

Guest JudgeMental

This may be useful. A Map of municipals..

http://www.camping-municipal.org/pays-de-loire-camp-municipal.htm

The Islands are nice if a cyclist. We used to go there regularly with Children..not very good experiences with all the main commercial sites but thats was school holidays. Although I will recommend one highly :-D

http://en.camping-ecureuils.com/Default.aspx?p=Default&n1=17&n2=3

Its the one at Jard sur Mer not the other one, its a small site...easy walk into lovely small town. very well shaded, so if weather grim maybe best go somewhere with less shade....

My daughter worked on a number of sites in the Vendee and came to the conclusion that unless you want noise kids and 'Sun readers',stay away from the coast! a few miles inland is better.

2 sites are Chateau Vieux St. Hilaire de Riez and Chantopie,sorry can't recall the location.

Guest JudgeMental

For heavens sake its May not July/August

still think municipals good enough..some have wifi and some are beautiful and have never been on a bad one yet..plus they are cheap!

here is one picked at random from site I linked above... looks fine approx19 €

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.camping-municipal-vendee.com%2F

malc d - 2013-05-13 2:25 PM

Would definitely recommend site : " La Venise Verte " in Coulon ( Green Venice area ). ACSI site.

( Flat / wooded area around the canals with excellent cycling trails around if that's your thing ).

Also the aire at Coulon has been considerably enlarged in the last couple of years - now takes at least 40 vans I should think.

Malc,

Just checked my ACSI book and can't see this site. I'm probably just being dull. Do you have the ACSI ref no ?

John :$

If you DO continue south, the ferry from Royan brings you to Le Verdon, where you'll find the only Aire we've ever spent a week on. Handy walking distance for beach (with restaurant), & town (with cafés, shops and supermarket).

Further down the peninsula there are lots of other sites, aires and France Passions. Enjoy!

JohnSue - 2013-05-15 5:18 PM

malc d - 2013-05-13 2:25 PM

Malc,

Just checked my ACSI book and can't see this site. I'm probably just being dull. Do you have the ACSI ref no ?

John :$[/quote

Hi John

It's on page 122 of the 2013 - book.

Ref: F-79510

Site named as " de la venise Verte " ( 4 star ) 16 euros per night April 1st til July 10th.

cheers

Being dull is an understatement. And this morning I even found it in Junes MMM page 101 in 'your site reviews'.

John :$ :$ :$ :D

Guest JudgeMental
JohnSue - 2013-05-16 9:19 AM

Being dull is an understatement. And this morning I even found it in Junes MMM page 101 in 'your site reviews'.

John :$ :$ :$ :D

Dont be embarrassed, this site all about helping each other, and a little chat along the way :-D

loved the little video on web site...

malc d - 2013-05-13 2:25 PM..............Would definitely recommend site : " La Venise Verte " in Coulon ( Green Venice area ). ACSI site.

I would also recommend the municipal, Camping La Niquiere, that is in the edge of the town, and an easy walk to the river. About €15 per night. Only 2 star, but had all we wanted last time we went. Agree with the general comments on Coulon, plus good restaurants as well.

La Grierre just south of Le Tranche is a nice little site and in the ACSI book.

If you follow Tony's advice and carry on south, the aire at Merschers sur gironde is a belting little spot-right alongside the marina and you get parking, electricity & wifi for €5 nice spot for a barbie in front of your van and a nice little village with market.

Only about 20 mins to the ferry across to la Verdun at Royan

Mike

Archived