12 volt water heating

chrisallys

Hi all, thinking of fitting a 12 volt emersion heater into the clarifier that we have as part of our ebersapcher hot water /heating set up. we have 2 X 100 wt solar panels feeding 3 X 110 amp linked leisure batteries, question is what size emersion ( I think 1kw) would you fit . I understand that you have to have a dedicated supply from the batteries that you have to manually turn on and off. ( no thermostat on emersion). does anybody have a similar set up ? Thanks as always in advance Chris

Are you sure about this?

It's certainly possible to have a 240V heating element in an Eberspacher calorifier, but I wasn't aware a 12V equivalent was marketed. A 1kW-rated 12V element would require over 80A to operate. And, if you fitted a 1kW-rated 240V element and powered it via an inverter, that would take an even higher amperage from your batteries due to power losses.

Eberspacher does market 'hand washing' units (eg. "Handiwash" and "Miniwash") that are 12V/24V powered and draw a relatively low amperage, but that's not what you are talking about.

(Perhaps you could say where you obtained the information about the 12V element?)

I have a 750w ac element in my calorifier powered from my leisure bateries via an imverter.

It works but is pretty inefficient and is really only to supplement the engine coolant heating the calorier's contents in fairly exceptional circumstances.

For most people in most situations tryimg to heat water usimg the leisure batteries is definitely one to avoid.

Archived