CB RADIOS

fairweather camper - Hi AllI'm thinking of installing a CB Radio so that we can speak to the couple we travel with, (in their Van) do you need a Licence or anything and is there anything I should know first. *-) 8-) Thanks

Thank you for thinkng about fitting a CB Radio, i wish more motorhomers would do it!

I have wrote a article about cb radios that will answer any questions you have,

Please click here to read it :)

The walkie talkies work great when drving in a convoy and across flatter land but their range drops off quicker in built up areas like towns and cities so if you do get stuck at the lights in a city and you cannot stop you can soon be out of range very quick,  have both the cb radio and the walkie talkies but prefer the good old cb, if more people had them in their motorhomes the quick wave good be a quick hello!

I used them in the late 70's and 80's, as did most of my colleagues, especially when driving in convoy, sometimes for two or three days at a time. When mobile phones came on the scene, CBs became redundant. I suspect that nowadays, the use of them while driving is (quite rightly) regarded just as illegal as mobile phones.

Sundowner - I used them in the late 70's and 80's, as did most of my colleagues, especially when driving in convoy, sometimes for two or three days at a time. When mobile phones came on the scene, CBs became redundant. I suspect that nowadays, the use of them while driving is (quite rightly) regarded just as illegal as mobile phones.

You can legally use a CB radio whilst driving, two way radios such as CB radios are exempt from the mobile phone laws. But be aware that you will be prosecuted if your use of a CB radio results in dangerous driving or an accident.

When lorry driving during the 70s / 80s CB's were the thing and really handy if you needed directions in the good old days before the sat nag , but would you really want to be driving your motorhome with " breaker breaker  19 do you copy good buddy 10-4 whats your handle  " I think not just relax and enjoy the drive . Been there dun it and had forgot all about it .

You don't here CB Slang like that anymore, just like people dont use the 70's & 80's catch fraze/buzz words anymore in their everyday speech today.

You hear the odd "copy" & "Out" been spoken now and then but not a lot of tech jargen on the CB, if you are chatting with someone they tend to chat just like they were on the phone  

Archived