Increase hot water capacity

crbtaylor

Guest JudgeMental

We just shower at different times... (compartment to small to do it together :-S)

you could add a separate water boiler, it is being discussed on "If I were a motorhome manufacturer I would fit" thread. But to me, more weight and hassle than what it is worth

Assuming that your present Truma Ultrastore boiler is the B10 (10 litres capacity) model, you could, in principle, replace it with an Ultrastore B14 (14 litres capacity), but this would be a costly approach.

Increasing a motorhome's stored hot water capacity has been discussed on this forum in the past. There's a major difference betwen "possible in any way" and "practicable". It would be possible to add a supplementary storage vessel so that water heated in the Ultrastore boiler was also stored in the extra storage vessel, but you'd need to circulate water through the boiler and storage vessel (which would involve adding a pump) and you'd probably want valves that would permit you to limit water heating to the Truma boiler when you didn't need to heat a lot of water.

My own view is that it's a non-starter.

If we are going to use a lot of warm water we turn the thermostat on our antique truma up to scorchio and use the mixer to get the right temperature  gives more showers!

Oh yes H & S warning do not do this at home, do not allow children to play with your shower controls....................yawn.

If the OP enquiry is as a result of shower useage then it should be pointed out that using a MH shower is a totally different technique. I give myself a quick wet all over and then turn shower off, Use soap to have a good lather and then rinse off again with minimal use of water

sshortcircuit - 2013-05-17 4:11 PM

If the OP enquiry is as a result of shower useage then it should be pointed out that using a MH shower is a totally different technique. I give myself a quick wet all over and then turn shower off, Use soap to have a good lather and then rinse off again with minimal use of water

BINGO!

Likewise.

It's mostly about technique.

We've got a 10 litre hot water capacity, and we find that really is more than enough for the two of us to each shower, including hair washing, one after the other.

The trick is only to turn the tap on just to get wet (maybe 5 seconds), then once again to rinse off ( maybe 20 seconds).

There's still enough hot water left afterwards for a bowl of washing up if needs be.

One thing that I did do a few months ago and which has also made a surprisingly big difference to usage, is that the old shower head was leaking a bit, so I replaced it with a real cheapo (and smaller) basic white plastic bog-standard shower head, bought for a couple of euros at a local DIY store.

This head has far fewer jet holes, and each is much finer than the holes in the previous one - so with the tap on there's quite a bit less water coming out, but in more of a fine spray at a higher pressure, which is actually far batter to shower under, but it uses maybe a third less water per minute of operation. Result!

As others have said, a quick technique required. We have used several Aires and stellplatze this break and we can easily get two good showers. Ihave a fairly brisk jobby first, then SWMBO gets in and usually has a fairly leisurely affair.

You need to heat the water to its hottest setting and then the mix with cold will eke out the 10 litres of scalding water into 15 litres of lovely shower water.

Also, the 2nd user needs to dive in smartish as the hot tank refills with cold water dragging the temp down quickly if not used.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-17 7:31 PM

Never a bad thing to save water. I saw the below advertised as suitable for use in motorhomes and some claim they do indeed reduce consumption.

A bit like Bruce's experience but actually designed from the outset to preserve water supplies:

http://www.ecocamel.com/products/shower-heads

Anyone had a go with them and do they work?

An earlier related thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Eco-Camel-Shower/29382/

Thanks Derek.

We already do the wet-down / gel / rinse off thing, use a thermostatic mixer, and are mindful of consumption generally. Was just looking for a way to further conserve supplies without compromising the shower experience.

I haven't yet found anyone that's actually reported on a measured decrease in water consumption through the low-power option offered by this firm - though a few do report perceived decreases.

I don't think I'm persuaded, but Bruce seems to have inadvertently come up with a genuine saving which makes the concept plausible.

Dont bother showering. Just go all ferrell and find lakes and rivers to get clean in. :-D

Here I am skinny dipping to get clean in some remote lake in the Alps. Luckily for you Mrs D was too slow with the camera.

Of course you still have the little lady to worry about and they for some reason seem to need gallons of water for everything but drinking. If I was on my own a full tank would last weeks. 8-)

Serious tip though. I find heating boiler back up on Gas is three times as fast as EHU.

Early Bath

124225462_skinnydiippingitaly.JPG.575e41cd1d3ef69e084976636dc8661f.JPG

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-18 10:59 AM

Thanks Derek.

We already do the wet-down / gel / rinse off thing, use a thermostatic mixer, and are mindful of consumption generally. Was just looking for a way to further conserve supplies without compromising the shower experience.

I haven't yet found anyone that's actually reported on a measured decrease in water consumption through the low-power option offered by this firm - though a few do report perceived decreases.

I don't think I'm persuaded, but Bruce seems to have inadvertently come up with a genuine saving which makes the concept plausible.

Here's an alternative fix:

Take you posh chrome shower head apart, use a silicon gun to run around the INSIDE of the shower "face", blocking up (say) the outside row of holes with a bead of silicon. Allow to cure overnight. Re-assemble and re-fit.

You'll now still have your existing posh MH showerhead, but there'll be less water coming out per minute of use, and those holes that are left open should emit the water at a somewhat higher pressure.

If you don't like the action of the showerhead, then either add more silicon to block more holes, or just remove the silicon bead, and go back to original spec.

That'll be 100 quid please............. :-D

That looks like something crinkly might like. Does the panel itself act as a storage vessel for the water it heats, if so have you had a look at capacities etc?

Already have a 20l folding bag solar shower which I use when jaunting in the Bongo rather than when in the truck. Works quite well.

Guest JudgeMental
same principal as an old fashioned water on demand Ascot.....you know the ones? Which have been responsible for many deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning :-S

gocro - 2013-05-18 12:45 PM

Or the rather old fashioned instant water heater, here's a new one on e-bay

http://tinyurl.com/agx5c3h

Slightly off topic, but almost all houses/flats in Spain and Portugal use bottled gas as the heating/cooking fuel (usually propane, rather than butane); and most have this type of wall-mounted "instant-on-demand" gas heater for domestic hot water.

They are very sophisticated nowadays, and all the modern ones use automatic piezzo ignition (usually battery operated), rather than the old (wasteful and potentially dangerous) gas pilot light.

They really are very good at what they do nowadays.

The 14-litres-per-minute jobbie that I fitted in our villa about 3 years ago now (in lieu of an older style 9 litre one that we inherited when we bought the place), really is brilliant at delivering masses of very hot water when required.

Simply turn on any hot tap in the house, and the water flow through the boiler to that tap makes it switch on, and you get very hot water from the tap in maybe 5 to 10 seconds, depending on how far "downstream" of the boiler that tap is.

They still need adequate ventilation of course though, just like any other gas appliance.

BGD - 2013-05-19 3:36 PM
gocro - 2013-05-18 12:45 PMOr the rather old fashioned instant water heater, here's a new one on e-bayhttp://tinyurl.com/agx5c3h
Slightly off topic, but almost all houses/flats in Spain and Portugal use bottled gas as the heating/cooking fuel (usually propane, rather than butane); and most have this type of wall-mounted "instant-on-demand" gas heater for domestic hot water.They are very sophisticated nowadays, and all the modern ones use automatic piezzo ignition (usually battery operated), rather than the old (wasteful and potentially dangerous) gas pilot light. They really are very good at what they do nowadays. The 14-litres-per-minute jobbie that I fitted in our villa about 3 years ago now (in lieu of an older style 9 litre one that we inherited when we bought the place), really is brilliant at delivering masses of very hot water when required.Simply turn on any hot tap in the house, and the water flow through the boiler to that tap makes it switch on, and you get very hot water from the tap in maybe 5 to 10 seconds, depending on how far "downstream" of the boiler that tap is.They still need adequate ventilation of course though, just like any other gas appliance.

Just like my 1980 Bessacar. (dirty word here: a shhhh caravan :-) ) then..........no truma water heater only a glorified 'Ascot' on the wall but we used to find that you were unable to maintain a constant temperature at the shower head because the heater would cycle on and off.

Archived