Just an idea

cyclops2

I've been considering for some time installing a solar panel on my nearly 15 year old Duetto van. The problem is with three vents on the roof, where to run the wires inside, where to put the panel, where to put the regulator. One consideration that has come to mind was to put a semi flexible panel across the front of the high top van. On site just point the front as close to the south as you can get and Bob's your fathers brother. From all the experts on this forum can anyone give me any advice. I can get a 100 watt semi flex panel across the front but would have problems fitting one any where else

Pete

Put a biggie up there, flat on the roof, but on slightly longer legs/brackets so that it sits over, but above, one of your roof vents. Roof vent can still be at least partially opened.

Sorted.

Do you really need one at all?

If you use sites you probably don't. If you do perceive a need there's always the option of portable 'suitcase' type panels that mean you don't have to permanently fit one anywhere.

In the real world parking facing south(ish) might be more tricky than imagined.

Guest JudgeMental
I agree with crinkly...we have always had a second leisure battery fitted and have never had a problem. If you have managed so far I don't get it ..have you two batteries, do yo never visit sites. do you stay in one spot of grid for ages, where you go, will there be enough sunlight to charge batteries etc..etc...these the kind of questions that determine if you need solar, before lashing out loads of money

I suggest you don't do it a) because I'm wary that a "semi flexible" solar panel would have sufficient flexibility to fit closely against the front of a Duetto's high-top roof, b) there's a good chance of damage to the panel if it's in that position and c) it's likely to harm the Duetto's appearance.

Thanks for all your info. Actually semi flex solar panels are really quite cheap now. 100 watt ones complete with regulator and 5m of cable around £180. My leisure battery is only 75ah and is under the bonnet not sure where I can fit a second one. Will see what is the biggest battery that will fit. I am considering doing more wildcamping and using Brit stops. I take Dereks point on location of panel

Pete

Having owned a 1996-built motorhome based on a Transit, I believe you won't be able to squeeze a dimensionally larger leisure-battery under the bonnet than the 75Ah one you've already got.

Even if the potential proneness to damage of having the solar panel on the front face of your Duetto's roof is ignored, I'd still question your original premise that this position would be such a good idea. OK, if you could always park your motorhome so that it faced south you'd benefit, but there's certainly no guarantee you'll be able to do that. At least if the panel were on the top of the roof, not the front, it wouldn't matter which direction the motorhome would be facing.

This thread may be useful:

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t6053-solar-panel-for-ford-auto-sleeper-duetto-1995

Archived