How Dangerous Is it to have your Gas on Whilst driving

michele

I' ask because we have before now forgot to turn it off. And only when we have got to the Shuttle / Boat have we then turned it off. Is it safe My common sense tell's me no are we the only ones.... What happens if another vehicle hit's us would it be the same if it were on or off ?

Thnaks all thought it would be .Keep forgetting because more often than not we don't seem to get very far (childrens needs) so constantly on the gas boiling things Ect ...Really has me worried though .... If something did hit the side would it have the same effect ..It is a worry because more often than not you end up with Gas petrol for the genrator . If we all counted that stuff its a real worry.. cheers

Michele

It can only really be considered actually dangerous following an accident where, if your van was sideswiped, the rubber hoses between the bottle/s and the regulator (or if you have bottle mounted regulators the regulator and the rigid pipework) might be severed. 

With the bottle valves left open, especially with a bulkhead mounted regulator, the entire contents of the gas bottle/s would vent off.  Depending on the amount of internal damage the escaping gas might: a) enter the van, creating a fire risk within or, more probably, b) escape to the outside where it could contribute to the fire risks following the accident.

I have been taken to task previously for saying it was illegal to have the valves open while travelling.  In fact I believe there is no legal requirement one way or the other in UK.  However, it is just one more, avoidable, risk that is fairly easily avoided, so I avoid it.

The position around Europe varies with, I believe, use of the gas appliances (at least, heater and fridge) allowed while actually driving in Germany, but a legal requirement to turn off the gas at the bottle in France before driving on the public roads.  Don't know about other countries, but I'm sure someone will.

The only exception in France is for the new Truma "Drive Safe" installation, which has an automatic valve on (I think) the cylinder to shut off the gas in case of accident.  However, so far as I know, these are not yet available for after market fit.

As you say, in the tunnel and on ferries the gas has to be shut off, although I can't remember anyone actually checking and I suspect a goodly number of motorhomes/caravans cross with their fridges running on gas. 

First fire on a car deck and they'll start checking, though, just like they did when someone drove his boat out to sea with the bow door open!

For the past 15 years (on 6 motorhomes) we have NEVER closed the valves on the gas cylinders, inside the locker, as we always have fitted a Truma 'Gas Remote Switch' correct identity: 'Gasfernschalter', which is an illuminated rocker switch within the vehicle with a solenoid in the gas locker, which we use to turn the gas on and off. Even then, I am ashamed to admit, we have frequently forgotten to turn it off when driving away, usually until the first tea-stop when we go to turn the gas on and, oops! it's already on!! The 'Gas Remote Switch' sits alongside the Truma Triomatic and is the same size/colour switch, so is quite neat. The 'Triomatic' (auto-changover of cylinders) we have, also used for 15 years - and wouldn't be without. Regarding LPG on Ferries and the requirement to close the valves on the cylinders; last year we sailed from Newcastle to Kristiansand, Turku to Stockholm, Esberg to Harwich and several Fjord crossings, on all of these the Ferry boarding personnel were content with us turning the gas off using the internal 'Gas Remote Switch'. One even put the gas locker 'Sealed' marking tape across the locker door, indicating that the cylinders were shut down - (when they weren't) just from seeing me turn off the gas inside our motorhome. Whether this procedure is safe and correct, I don't know, maybe other more knowledgable forum members will tell us? Our next motorhome, a Timberland, will be fitted with an LPG Tank (a first for me) and I have, again requested, & ordered myself, the Gasfernschalter, can that be safely used and, will it work with a Tank? Chris

Michele If you really want to read up on this subject do a search of the forum and you find there have been some real humdingers of postings on the subject. As someone who has been involved in a gas leak fire, fortunately whilst stationery, if we had been on the move when it happened - a pipe/joint came apart - we would certainly have been killed. Can't really put it plainer than that. Search for "Fire in motorhome" for the full gen on this hopefully "never to be repeated" experience! Regards Mel B

I recently went through the Eurotunnel, and although my bottles were turned off, I was pulled over and thoughly checked for explosives with a sniffer, and for illegals but nobody checked the gas bottles. I asked if they wanted to and they said nah. They had a good look round inside but also forgot the overcab.

Hi Michelle, as far as we are concerned it's all about "risk assessment" I have never turned the gas off, because I believe the risk is to low to worry about, others on here disagree, we also make the tea, sandwich and go to the toilet, all while travelling, again because we believe the risk is almost nil. I will now get my tin hat (lol) Olley

Geoff , We have the oposite we are alway's checked for Gas and only sometimes checked on board although we could get a few people sewn into the seat's and plenty on the overhead bed cab. This is when we usually realise that we have been all this way with the gas on . We have had a few check's in and out one (young lady) gave us the third degree . Fancy trying to stare an old copper out .Fool he does it for a living . Anyway she decided she did not like him next thing we noticed she had whispered to her colleague and we were subject to another on board entry. He got on not her ? she didn't have the bottle .He said what do you do for a living sir, Policeman why .Ok on your way.........well what a proper check . Maybe because we are frequent travellers and our Number plate comes up alot ?

Oh My GOD OLLEY please be careful it might not be your driving but you never know ...As my old man say's you dont know what the other idiot's excuse me, might do . You don't know when someone will take your gap break ......God be careful you could go through the windscreen........

Along with every other concievable labour saving device RV's also have a built-in toilet in the drivers seat. Also at 9.25 tonnes I laugh at anything smaller than an HGV, cars I roll straight over them, hardly feel the bump. I happen to be LPG powered, if you can tell me how to turn that off with out effecting my forward motion (talking of motions) I will be all ears. You drive around with 60-80 litres of highly inflammable petrol and think nothing of it, but go all girly over 10-15 litres of gas. (lol) (I feel a motion coming on.) Olley

Olley, Girly Girly, Iwas only concerned that you may be hurt whilst making sandwiches & going to the toilet.....still if your the biggest on the road why worry........Nothing can touch you. Gas I asked about it exploding . Yes petrol does go up I'am a silly girl stand corrected ....... Sorry for being concerned continue to roll over everything Good luck........

hi michelle, thankyou very much for your concern, but really there's no need, I have it down to a fine art now. 1) check there nobody close 2) make sure its on cruise 3) Dash back to the fridge 4) open fridge door with one hand and extract slice of bread and wedge of cheese with the other. 5) get back to wheel total time about 3 seconds. I need to be quicker, so I have time to butter the bread as well, but you know what they say, Practice make's perfect. :-D :-D Olley

B-) Just like olley. We eat, drink, make tea and coffee, have the gas on, use the toilet, read. Sandy even sleeps. As olley. On our old 1988 Coachmen we were LPG powered. Like olley says - It would be rather difficult to turn the LPG off on the move and maintain forward motion. Except on a downhill stretch that is. Only trouble is. You then have no brakes and steering. 8-) :$ Just noticed, olley posted while I was writing. He explained the exact situation that explains how I use the toilet when on the move. Except Sandy jumps into the drivers seat for a short while. (lol) Highly illegal. I'm sure. (lol)

[QUOTE]olley - 2006-08-03 12:11 AM Along with every other concievable labour saving device RV's also have a built-in toilet in the drivers seat. Also at 9.25 tonnes I laugh at anything smaller than an HGV, cars I roll straight over them, hardly feel the bump. I happen to be LPG powered, if you can tell me how to turn that off with out effecting my forward motion (talking of motions) I will be all ears. You drive around with 60-80 litres of highly inflammable petrol and think nothing of it, but go all girly over 10-15 litres of gas. (lol) (I feel a motion coming on.) Olley[/QUOTE]

But Olley

The two installations are quite different, and differently sited on the vehicle.  The original query was about bottled gas for habitation purposes, not gas per se. 

If your installation has been properly carried out there should be no greater danger from your autogas type installation that from any other fuel, be it petrol of diesel.

All post boxes are red, but not all red objects are post boxes?

:-D On our first RV. The 1988 Coachmen Classic. We had the on-board LPG tank which was used for emergencies and UK use. We also had 2 Spanish Gas bottles which was our main gas supply for domestics. We always used the reefer when on the move. The only time we turned it off was when boarding a ferry. I can't see that in the event of an accident. LPG or gas bottles or on-board tanks would be any worse a scenario than a petrol tank.

Hi Brian, sorry went a bit of thread there. The main reason for turning the gas of on the domestic side appears to be a question of safety, ie. side swiped or similar in a road accident. My own personal view is that this is very unlikely, I would imagine there is a greater danger of people having a tyre blow out because they are over 5 years old or overloaded, and yet little is posted on this subject. As i said in a previous post it's all about risk assessment. How many m/h are involved in serious accidents where a BLEVE takes place? I realise thats it's just one more risk, but simply sitting behind the wheel is a risk, riding a bike is a risk, walking on the pavement is a risk. So you make your choice as to whats right for you. And Brian not all post boxes are red, in the channel isles their blue. :-D olley

Archived