Hymer Exsis 504 vs Hymer B-Class 504

Brock

Our next new van is likely to be one of these, probably within the next year. The Exsis is narrower which is attractive although overall, we wonder whether the unseen quality of Hymer has been sacrificed. We have no quality doubts about the B-Class although the short wheelbase and the wider body with those expensive looking wing mirrors is engaging our mind. Bathroom size a slight concern on both models but one we will accept. Assuming the figures quoted are right, weight will not be a problem because we travel light and rarely carry more than 20l of water.

If you have experience of either model, I'd be interested in your thoughts. We currently have an 8 year old 544 bought from new which has been brilliant but the layout no longer suits our changing needs.

Nothing wrong with either van apart from they are the down market versions and appear expensive for the level of fittings in them.

We are Hymer fans and have one, looked at Exsis very tempted like the size and payload but don't think I could live the fittings for the price little things like cheap roller window blinds rather than the cassette ones fitted in the SL models.

Have a look at at the Cathago C- Tourers I range once you have added a decent amount of extras they come in at about 60k only a few k more than the Exsis.

Some of the latest Hymer products being offered on this side of the water, feature a new floor ie the latest Tramp range, this is also being used in the TEC range (another Hymer group company), I would therefore be inclined to wait till next year to see if the new floor is also offered on the B series, the new floor saves about 150Kg. Unless you are prepared to sacrifice the build quality and run the risk of rot from the average timber framed offering elsewhere :-)

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2013-05-20 7:26 AM

Have you seen the Laika X598R. Superb.

But it is Italian, so a along way to go if it needs attention at the factory.....Is it really that much better then the good German vans?

Retread24800 - 2013-05-20 4:57 PM

Some of the latest Hymer products being offered on this side of the water, feature a new floor ie the latest Tramp range, this is also being used in the TEC range (another Hymer group company), I would therefore be inclined to wait till next year to see if the new floor is also offered on the B series, the new floor saves about 150Kg. Unless you are prepared to sacrifice the build quality and run the risk of rot from the average timber framed offering elsewhere :-)

The Hymer Exsis (on Fiat) & the Hymer Starlight both have the fibreglass floor so do Cathago vans.

JudgeMental - 2013-05-20 5:07 PM

But it is Italian, so a along way to go if it needs attention at the factory.....Is it really that much better then

the good German vans?

Yes its a close cousin of Hymer.They have made a luxury coachbuilt with good payload.The washroom, for a compact van is fabSeperate shower, loads of hooks etc. could be used either as shower or good place to hang, particularly, wet coats.Kitchen v compact but with electric ignition and good extractor fan.Relatively compfortable lounge.Its brill.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2013-05-20 6:11 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-20 5:07 PM

But it is Italian, so a along way to go if it needs attention at the factory.....Is it really that much better then

the good German vans?

Yes its a close cousin of Hymer.They have made a luxury coachbuilt with good payload.The washroom, for a compact van is fabSeperate shower, loads of hooks etc. could be used either as shower or good place to hang, particularly, wet coats.Kitchen v compact but with electric ignition and good extractor fan.Relatively compfortable lounge.Its brill.

really think you should visit a German motorhome show...

lennyhb - 2013-05-20 7:06 PM
Retread24800 - 2013-05-20 4:57 PMSome of the latest Hymer products being offered on this side of the water, feature a new floor ie the latest Tramp range, this is also being used in the TEC range (another Hymer group company), I would therefore be inclined to wait till next year to see if the new floor is also offered on the B series, the new floor saves about 150Kg. Unless you are prepared to sacrifice the build quality and run the risk of rot from the average timber framed offering elsewhere :-)
The Hymer Exsis (on Fiat) & the Hymer Starlight both have the fibreglass floor so do Cathago vans.

Precisely two or so more examples of the way Hymer is going.

P.S. Am I wrong or are Laika and Carthago also owned by Hymer Group?

Guest JudgeMental
Retread24800 - 2013-05-20 7:06 PM
lennyhb - 2013-05-20 7:06 PM
Retread24800 - 2013-05-20 4:57 PMSome of the latest Hymer products being offered on this side of the water, feature a new floor ie the latest Tramp range, this is also being used in the TEC range (another Hymer group company), I would therefore be inclined to wait till next year to see if the new floor is also offered on the B series, the new floor saves about 150Kg. Unless you are prepared to sacrifice the build quality and run the risk of rot from the average timber framed offering elsewhere :-)

Precisely two or so more examples of the way Hymer is going.

P.S. Am I wrong or are Laika and Carthago also owned by Hymer Group?

That the nature of capitalism.... Carthago stand out a mile IMO

Both the vans Brock is interested in are relatively short, so I assume he may have reason to go that route. The Exsis-i 504 is 6.2 metres, the B504 5.99 metres.

I don't think either Carthago or Laika produce such short vans, do they?

Re quality, haven't seen the Carthagos, but Laika quality seems to me the equivalent of the other Hymer group marques.

According to the downloadable Hymer UK catalogue, either the B504 is not available in UK, or Hymer aren't putting the most recent version up for download. Or is Brock going for LHD?

My strong impression is that the construction of the Exsis range is equivalent to that of the B class range. At least, I can't see where the difference is, cosmetics apart.

The main difference layout wise is in the transverse rear single, which is wider, but tapered, in the Exsis.

My question is, if this decision is prompted by a desire for single beds, why not go for an Exsis-i 578 at 6.75 metres long, and omit the front drop-down bed? Narrower than a B class, more internal space than either of the others, and a huge boost in storage space.

Laika are part of the Hymer group Cathago are still independent (I think).

Yes the Exsis is a narrow B Class on an Al-Ko chassis and nowadays both appear very expensive for the trim level compared to the older B Class CL's aka Classic.

For a few quid more the Cathago' are nearer the Hymer SL spec with an even better build, like Hymer no timber in the walls inner wall is aluminium, fibreglass roof as standard & you can extend the water ingress warranty to 10 years. Like Hymer if you buy in the UK you will pay stupid rip of Britain prices.

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-20 9:41 PM

Both the vans Brock is interested in are relatively short, so I assume he may have reason to go that route. The Exsis-i 504 is 6.2 metres, the B504 5.99 metres.

I don't think either Carthago or Laika produce such short vans, do they?

The shortest Carthago model is currently the "Chic C-Line I 3.7" at 6.20 metres long.

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/guide-d-achat/carthago-3-7.html

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Buyers-Guide/Motorhomes/I-3-7/_vh7223

(Some of the data on these webpages are wrong but, in RHD and with 'essential' extras, an above-£80k UK price should be anticipated. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to obtain RHD Carthagos outside the UK.)

According to the downloadable Hymer UK catalogue, either the B504 is not available in UK, or Hymer aren't putting the most recent version up for download. Or is Brock going for LHD?

The e brochure shows the B504.

!!<Click for B504 Spec. sheet>!!

Page 42 for the layout. Several pictures within the catalogue.

These two price lists both show the small B Klasse and The Exsis i but do make interesting reading ;-) PS I use 1.18€ to £1

http://www.hymer.com/presse2011/august/Preise_Prices_D_GB/Reisemobil_D_GB/HYMER_PL_Motorhome_2011_english.pdfPrice list EX works lhd

http://www.hymer.com/medien/pdf/HYMER_RM_Preisliste_englisch_fuer_GB_1._Auflage_2013_mB_II-A.pdf

UKprice list rhd?

The GB is 2010, some models on there they haven't made for over 2 years.

To see current UK prices on the Hymer website (in English) go to the model you are interested in and select Equipment Packages from the left hand menu. These prices however appear to be similar to the German prices and a lot lower than UK dealers are charging. e.g. Exsis 578, £56,690,or 64,990€.

I priced one up at about £55 k with extras allowing for 10% discount off German price. I wouldn't buy a Hymer in the UK on principle, dealers charge inflated price then rip you off with silly delivery charges of £1500 - £ 2000 the present van we brought in Belgium didn't have to pay a seperate delivery charge.

Going to Dusseldorf to have a good look at the Cathago C-tourer range on paper look like a much better spec van than the Exsis for not much more dosh.

I live in hope I don't think SWMBO will let me change vans for at least another couple of years but then again last time we went had no intention of buying a van by the time we had got back to Calais I had talked her into it.

AliB - 2013-05-21 10:04 AM

The e brochure shows the B504.

!!<Click for B504 Spec. sheet>!!

Page 42 for the layout. Several pictures within the catalogue.

+ Derek said,

"The shortest Carthago model is currently the "Chic C-Line I 3.7" at 6.20 metres long.

http://www.lemondeducampingcar.fr/guide-d-achat/carthago-3-7.html

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Buyers-Guide/Motorhomes/I-3-7/_vh7223

(Some of the data on these webpages are wrong but, in RHD and with 'essential' extras, an above-£80k UK price should be anticipated. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to obtain RHD Carthagos outside the UK.)"

So thank you both, it seems my info is now out of date.

Hawcara - 2013-05-21 5:07 PM

Good point Lenny, with the extras on that 578 it comes out at £60378, but a reputable dealer is selling the same model for £66482, unless I have made an error. :-D

Hymer recently increased UK prices, because the £ had dropped against the €, so that accounts for some of the difference. Also Hymer charge £2,000 for delivery to UK, so that adds a bit more. Once you get to trying to buy, you will find that German dealers give larger discounts than UK dealers.

A recent worked example gave a UK catalogue price of just under £K70, and a German catalogue price of €K76.5. Bought from a German dealer at €1.17/£1.00, the same van (LHD) is £60,300 as a personal import in full UK spec. UK dealer couldn't come close, even for a LHD.

Only slightly longer at 6.35m, but a fair bit cheaper, is the new Carthago c-tourer I 138. Can also be had as a lightweight version with an AL-KO chassis pretty hefty payload.

Price saving is partly a result of it being made in a new factory Slovenia.

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-21 6:26 PM

Also Hymer charge £2,000 for delivery to UK, so that adds a bit

Do you have any thing to back up this figure ? My own opinion is that it's another British dealer rip off. Hymer seam to be able to deliver to most of their European dealers for 500€ and some places cost a lot more in transport to get to than getting them to the UK.

Archived