Hymer Exsis 504 vs Hymer B-Class 504

Brock

From my downloaded UK 1/7/2012 Hymer price list, Lenny, top of page 38.

"Important notes:

All prices are subject to an On The Road charge of £2000,00 to include,

transportation from Germany, 12 months road fund licence, first registration

fee, PDI, Valet, £40 fuel and number plates."

So, perhaps not fully accurate for me to describe the £2,000 as being for delivery, but it would seem a lot of it is.

PCC - 2013-05-21 6:27 PM

Only slightly longer at 6.35m, but a fair bit cheaper, is the new Carthago c-tourer I 138. Can also be had as a lightweight version with an AL-KO chassis pretty hefty payload.

Price saving is partly a result of it being made in a new factory Slovenia.

The factory at Odranci, Slovenia began production in 2008 to manufacture 'budget' Carthago motorhomes. Currently made there are the "C-line" and "C-tourer" ranges.

A summary of the 2013 Carthago ranges is here:

http://www.carthago.com/en/models.html?no_cache=1

The shortest "C-tourer" A-class model is the C-tourer 142 QB at 6.82m.

http://tinyurl.com/oxqvdt5

There is a 6.35m-long A-class model, but it's the significantly more expensive Chic c-line I 3.8.

http://tinyurl.com/q7smnd9

Carthago's UK brochures are coy about pricing but, if the UK asking-price of any new RHD 2013 chic c-line A-class is below £80k, I'd be very surprised.

Regarding the £2000 Hymer 'On the Road' charge Brian Kirby mentions, I was once told (by an ex-Brownhills salesman) that the importing agent (then Hymer(UK)) used to charge an administration fee of £1000 on every new Hymer motorhome imported to the UK and this was integrated into the OTR charge when the vehicle was sold. I believe Hymer's current UK commercial agent (handling several Hymer Group brands) is Paul Kershaw and there may be a similar 'middleman' fee-charging arrangement.

A UK motorhome dealer who had used a transportion company to deliver a motorhome (bought in Germany for his own use) to a UK ferry-port for him to collect told me that the service had cost around £900. This was several years ago, so the cost is likely to have increased. It's unrealistic to compare cheapo methods employed by private motorhome importers (eg. fetching the vehicle oneself and driving it home to the UK) as it's no longer practicable for UK dealerships to do this.

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-22 12:18 AM

From my downloaded UK 1/7/2012 Hymer price list, Lenny, top of page 38.

"Important notes:

All prices are subject to an On The Road charge of £2000,00 to include,

transportation from Germany, 12 months road fund licence, first registration

fee, PDI, Valet, £40 fuel and number plates."

So, perhaps not fully accurate for me to describe the £2,000 as being for delivery, but it would seem a lot of it is.

Found it and it's on the 2013 list no charges at all on the German price list. Rip off Britain again who in their right mind would pay for a PDI & Valet on a new vehicle.

Re Derek's note on transport price I take it the £900 was for a single van, if Hymer were shipping them it would probably 4-6 vans on a transporter, then you could deduct the cost of transport to Calais (Hymer have a dealer in Calais).

They get away with a lot due to perceived value elevated by advertising, Hymer in the UK are considered a premium brand in Germany they are just mid range, a bit like Euro Fizz ( Larger) ones that are sold at a premium over here are bottom of the range in Belgium.

Next time I buy I shall vote with my feet again and buy from a hard working Belgium or German dealer who will work on a fair margin, everyone need to make a profit to survive but the UK dealers & importers are just taking the p**s.

Derek

The Carthago website is somewhat confusing. The English and German sections are different.

If you go beyond the initial page that shows the general range in the German section you'll find a c-tourer I 38 listed with a transverse double bed at the back. It's also included in the latest German price list (2-2013). I see that it's only available in the 'superlightweight' version and costs 67,770 euros inc German VAT.

The English price list is still refered to as 1-2013 so may be a bit out of date.

Peter

PCC - 2013-05-22 5:45 PM

Derek

The Carthago website is somewhat confusing. The English and German sections are different.

If you go beyond the initial page that shows the general range in the German section you'll find a c-tourer I 38 listed with a transverse double bed at the back. It's also included in the latest German price list (2-2013). I see that it's only available in the 'superlightweight' version and costs 67,770 euros inc German VAT.

The English price list is still refered to as 1-2013 so may be a bit out of date.

Peter

I stand corrected...

I was looking at Carthago's 2013 UK brochures that I picked up at the last NEC Show. These are the ones downloadable from Carthago's website as 1-2013 and don't show the C-tourer 138 and don't contain any in-sterling prices.

Thanks for a very interesting thread and alternative suggestions. I have looked at alternatives to the two vans I quoted especially Carthago, LMC and Knaus. Length is an issue [6.5m is the absolute maximum unless we are inspired enough to find a radical solution to convenient storage] and Hymer have my vote because they have stuck with the UK market for so many years despite the problems. Some of the other German makes pop in and out of Britain depending on their business need although they do make darn good vans.

There is/was a small number of 504s in Britain this year including Travelworld. Exsis vans are more common.

Guest JudgeMental

If the German manufacturers can't find reliable UK partners, to represent and support the brands properly, it can hardly be interpreted as their fault...Maybe market just to small. Hymer have managed to appear a premium brand here, whereas in Europe they are a bit above average. Probably because choice here poor in comparison.

They usually have the first hall completely to themselves as you walk into Dusseldorf show.....Probably costs a bit, but very clever and impressive marketing.

Brock - 2013-05-25 9:44 AM

Hymer have my vote because they have stuck with the UK market for so many years despite the problems. Some of the other German makes pop in and out of Britain depending on their business need although they do make darn good vans.

There is/was a small number of 504s in Britain this year including Travelworld. Exsis vans are more common.

I don't see that has any bearing on it I am a Hymer owner I like the mark but I would not but one in the UK not only is there the 10 grand difference in price also the apathy of the UK dealers.

As for after sales support far cheaper & quicker to get spares from German dealers. UK dealers won't do warranty work unless you brought from them. We brought our van in Belgium, had a little problem while in Germany called in at the nearest dealer they couldn't have been more helpful, try doing that in the UK.

I believe it is (I'm sure it was) possible to get RHD vans through certain German dealers, Brock may wish to consider this option. Can anyone help him out with that?

It is not necessary to go to the German dealership to collect if you don't fancy driving home on third party only insurance. It is possible to use an intermediary to source, collect, register, and deliver your new van. You will then have access to pretty much the whole German dealership network, which will yield many LHD vans, but would need specifically to order RHD, which will obviously result in later delivery. However, if ordering either RHD or LHD, you will also gain access to the full range of options, including your choice of fabrics and finishes, not all of are likely to be available if buying from among dealers' current stock vans. You will have to pay for this service, but you will still save several thousand pounds compared to UK prices.

If Brock is interested in this option and cares to PM me, I can provide a couple of names.

Cost of RHD in Belgium or Germany 1500€ but it does extend the delivery possible by up to 6 months as you have to wait until they are building a batch of RHD vans.

Hymer RHD drive vans come in UK spec, with UK mains sockets etc.

Buy in Belgium and the dealer will drive the van to the port for you. Our van is RHD & we brought in Belgium.

Guest JudgeMental

Most will drive van to port if you are of a nervous disposition. temp fully com available from a Dutch insurer...but probably cheaper to get dearer to drive to port. One dealer quoted about 400 €. Remember you dont need the 250€ trade plates or export 3rd party insurance if you do this as they drive it on their trade plates

These import agencies hardly charities, and don't do it for nothing. I dont see the point of handing over the discount you could easily negotiate yourself to a 3rd party. I also dont think RHD imports that easy arrange ....

JudgeMental - 2013-05-25 6:42 PM

. I also dont think RHD imports that easy arrange ....

Hymer's no problem apart from the delivery time other makes not so easy. If it's an A class can't see the point of bothering with a RHD.

lennyhb - 2013-05-25 10:50 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-25 6:42 PM

. I also dont think RHD imports that easy arrange ....

Hymer's no problem apart from the delivery time other makes not so easy...

Do you know of any motorhome makes (other than Hymer) that can be purchased outside the UK in RHD form? Your comment "...other makes not so easy" suggests that you do, but I don't recall anyone ever saying (for example) "I ordered a new RHD Knaus/Rapido/Frankia/Carthago, etc. abroad and imported it to the UK".

I vaguely remember that - 3 or 4 years ago - there was a batch of RHD Fendt motorhomes being offered for sale abroad, but I believe this was the consequence of a cancelled order from the then-UK Fendt importer.

Guest JudgeMental

I think that is what happens occasionally, when an order destined for UK gets cancelled, and ends up in dealers in europe. Dealer I use recently had about 6 Globecar RHD rear lounge vans last year for sale at £26000. A bit of a bargain compared to here.

I was at Lennys hymer dealer in 2011 when I changed to panel van to look at the "hymer car"vans. so out of interest discussed this. Did not get the impression that RHD an option.....did not push it as I prefer LHD anyway...

Lenny was yours a factory order or a van in stock

Archived