Ducato Brakes

thebishbus

Hi. Some advice please.I want to change the brake fluid on my Ducato 14 2.8 idTD. I have noticed that there are four outlet pipes in groups of two along the length of the master cylinder. The question is, with this type of tandem braking system, do I have to bleed two wheel cylinders at the same time, and if so which two and in what order.?

Brian B.

Hi all. I have now found out how to do my non ABS system. For anyone interested ;- My non ABS dual system is split diagonally, rear left front right, rear right front left. Bleed the rear brake first then the front in each circuit. Note the front has two calipers per wheel bleed the top caliper first.

Brian B.

thebishbus - 2013-05-19 9:13 AM

Hi all. I have now found out how to do my non ABS system. For anyone interested ;- My non ABS dual system is split diagonally, rear left front right, rear right front left. Bleed the rear brake first then the front in each circuit. Note the front has two calipers per wheel bleed the top caliper first.

Brian B.

I believe that most brake circuits are diagonally split, as a matter of course: the idea being that if one circuit fails, you've still got a front and rear brake action on the other circuit.

Couple of other thoughts:-

They are long brake lines, so make sure you've got plenty of new brake fluid to hand before you start the job.....and make sure you assistant keeps topping up the master cylinder reservoir BEFORE the level drops too far.

Also, if the bleed nipples haven't been opened for a long time, give them all a liberal dousing of penetrating oil the day before if possible (usual rules about not getting any of it on any brake discs/pads/shoes apply of course! Then clean all of them meticulously before starting the job, so avoid any risk of contamination.

Another tip, if doing the "you press the brake pedal while I open the bleed nipple" routine - ask the assistant NOT to press the pedal all the way to the floor, as that pushes the master cylinder piston past the point of its habitual travel, and can often thus wreck the effectiveness of the rubber seals as they pass over a part of the piston shaft that's corroded over time.

Only depress the pedal about half-way for each "open nipple /press pedal /close nipple /release pedal" cycle.

Archived