PVC on Transit Mk8 - Any Rumours ??

mike 202

Hoping that there will be some PVC's on the new Ford Transit chassis, especially now that Ford have recognised our "motorhome" needs (an untapped source of sales and service income) and set up a network of dealers who will look after our servicing needs.

So, any info or at least rumours from our well placed members ??

Mike

I think that we may be 'jumping the gun' Mike -- I too want the answer to the same question -- a Ford-based PVC would be my choice. If you look on the 'Horizons unlimited' site -- the Rev. Tony Jones' favourite vehicle -- even they are building their ford-based PVC's on 'pre-registered 'vehicles -- their new ones are 'Sevel' based peugeots (Grr!!) This would appear to be because: if you look on the Ford website -- I googled "The new Ford Transit van" -- you will find that it says: "Available Summer 2014" --- patience would appear to be in order!!

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. -- Your (and mine!) favourite converter, Auto-Sleepers, gave up using Ford base vans years ago -- I wanted a Duetto -- do you think that they will return to them?

C.

Guest JudgeMental

They are saying in Germany that the baby transit (transit custom) is a contender for a new range of VW T5 style campers....Can't find anything on the big transit as yet, but would be surprised if at least a couple of mock ups at Dusseldorf show this summer (renault did this with new vans in 2010)

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/TransitCustom

lets hope its wide enough...

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Transit-Reveal

If Ford really wanted to get in on the act then offer an automatic version. There was talk of them modifying the Mondeo box to fit, but never materialised. Both Renault and Fiat offer a clutchless version which is very popular among us 'older' people and of course Mercedes have their own excellent, if expensive version. The old Transit, 2 or 3 models back had a Durashift box, which wa s pretty awful but surely they have the technology to offer a state of the art alternative? I suspect even some 'white van' drivers my get tired of endlessly pushing the left foot down and fiddling with a knob, but then again some people like fiddling with a knob, even on the dashboard.

Symbol Owner - 2013-05-19 9:28 AM

I think that we may be 'jumping the gun' Mike -- I too want the answer to the same question -- a Ford-based PVC would be my choice.

P.S. -- Your (and mine!) favourite converter, Auto-Sleepers, gave up using Ford base vans years ago -- I wanted a Duetto -- do you think that they will return to them?

Duetto's continue to be highly sort after by both Dealers and private buyers and hold their value pretty well.

However, upgrading to later models (some Mk6 Transit Duetto's around) is not always a move for the better. The Mk6 Transit is a MWB, so smaller than the Mk5 which were built on LWB chassis (very few SWB).

My Duetto is on a 2000 reg Mk5 chassis and considering it was a vehicle built primarily for commercial use as a PV, the dashboard is useless by comparison to the Mk3. There are no flat surfaces anywhere and the only storage is a nice big 'bin'.......which is on the passenger side!

My old Mk3 Transit had a brilliant dashboard with two large flat tray areas in the middle easily accessible to the drive. These would hold all kinds of junk without anything rolling off onto the floor the first corner you came to! Just below the vent controls was a big deep trough which would hold pens,pencils and any other small items.

Yes it was very square.....very flat.....very 'old fashioned'.........but it was very very useful!

At the last NEC Show I was told (by Roy Wood Transits) that it was fairly certain that Westfalia would be producing (in the nearish future) a PVC based on the current Transit Custom.

I asked what the situation was regarding the 'big' Transit Mk 8 (as prototypes had been exhibited at commercial-vehicle shows) but - as has already been said - this range of vehicles won't be manufactured until 2014.

There's a good deal of information here on the 2014 Transit that will be marketed in the USA

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/

The powerplants are (unsurprisingly) large capacity V6-petrol (or V6 "flex-fuel'/alternative fuel) or straight-5 diesel (a variant of the 3.2litre motor that was available in European Transits but now isn't) and there's an automatic transmission option. It's 99.9% certain that none of these motors will be fitted to European Transit Mk 8s that are likely to get versions of the 2.2litre engine now-standardised on Transit Mk 7s.

Auto-Sleepers built Duetto on a LWB Transit Mk 5 chassis and MWB Transit Mk 6 (and Mk 7 - example here http://tinyurl.com/msgqpbw ).

A LWB Transit Mk 6/Mk 7 panel-van was available and, if Auto-Sleepers had chosen to use that chassis for Duetto, the result would have been about 4" longer than the Mk 5-based model. A 'Jumbo' LWB Transit Mk 6/Mk 7 was also available with a length of 20' 9".

Bulletguy -- how about this for a dashboard?

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/gallery/photos/

They describe the dash -- when the 'photo is enlarged by clicking on it -- as:- " The modern, car-like instrument panel" -- so it may be more like that which you wish for! Certainly there appears to be a wealth of 'cubby holes' plus a bin in each door!

I always curse that my old (Peugeot) Symbol only has a driver's door bin and I, ( usually the navigator) have nowhere to put maps!

Colin.

P.S. Dave 225 -- it also comes with "Select shift 6-speed automatic transmission" -- for the lazy s*ds among you that don't like " Fiddling with Knobs" :D

Cheers,

C.

Although there's a good chance that the dashboard design will be the same for USA and European 2014 Transits, the automatic transmission fitted to USA versions should not be expected to be offered in Europe.

Ford (and Volvo) cars can currently have a "Powershift" dual-clutch semi-automatic gearbox, but I've read nothing to suggest this will be offered on Transit Mk 8. Transit "Custom" has a 2.2litre Duratorq diesel motor as used on the current Transit Mk 7, and I'd expect the Mk 8 to have the same motor. Powershift is not available on the Transit Custom, so it probably won't be available on the Transit Mk 8.

The majority of European drivers take their driving test in a car with a manual gearbox, so there's no massive incentive to fit automatic transmission to a Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV) like Transit. It certainly would be a good idea if the option were available for Transit-based motorhomes but, if it adds significantly to the vehicle's cost, LCV buyers won't opt for it and the number of Transit-based motorhomes Ford might expect to sell in Europe will not be sufficiently large to make development of an auto-box specifically for motorhomes worthwhile.

It's the opposite in the USA, where drivers are unaccustomed to a 'stick shift' and marketing a vehicle with an auto-box is essential to gain sales.

Competing with 2014 Transit USA will be versions of the Fiat Ducato, marketed in the States as the "Chrysler Ram ProMaster"

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2013/03/chrysler_2014_ram_promaster_to_1.html

with large-capacity petrol or diesel motors and an automatic (or automated-manual) transmission.

Can't help feeling that Ford have shot themselves in the foot, by withdrawing the Mk7 long before the full-size Mk8 is available here.

It means that convertors who (like me!) love the Ford have no choice but to switch base vehicles for a while.

If they don't do well on the unfamiliar base, they won't survive. If they do, why should they re-tool to go back to Ford?

I can only assume that the blue oval guys have lost interest in the MH market (again!).

Derek Uzzell - 2013-05-20 9:43 AM

Auto-Sleepers built Duetto on a LWB Transit Mk 5 chassis and MWB Transit Mk 6 (and Mk 7 - example here http://tinyurl.com/msgqpbw ).

A LWB Transit Mk 6/Mk 7 panel-van was available and, if Auto-Sleepers had chosen to use that chassis for Duetto, the result would have been about 4" longer than the Mk 5-based model. A 'Jumbo' LWB Transit Mk 6/Mk 7 was also available with a length of 20' 9".

Derek

I can never figure out why AS chose to go with the MWB Mk6/7 over the LWB version which to me would have made more sense......for a PVC anyway. Anyone who has owned a Duetto on the Mk5 chassis is familiar with the fact that space is already at a premium and you need to 'think small' in many things. Apart from the Mk6/7 engines, it's beyond me why anyone would go for an even smaller van with less space.

I see very few MWB Mk6/7's on the road in use commercially......but absolutely loads of LWB ones.

Symbol Owner - 2013-05-20 10:00 AM

Bulletguy -- how about this for a dashboard?

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/gallery/photos/

They describe the dash -- when the 'photo is enlarged by clicking on it -- as:- " The modern, car-like instrument panel" -- so it may be more like that which you wish for!

Total disaster!!!

Just look at all those stupid curves making it utterly impractical for commercial use or PVC, An absolute waste of space.

To give you some idea of what I call a proper dashboard which is useful......check this from my old Mk3.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/34955x0.jpg

Often used it as a table to stand drinks or food on (you can't do that on a Mk5 dashboard) The 'trough' just above the heater vent controls was deep enough to hold a pile of pens, pencils etc......everything within arms reach of the driver, something which as a solo traveler is important to me

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2013-05-20 7:21 PM

Total disaster!!!

Just look at all those stupid curves making it utterly impractical for commercial use or PVC, An absolute waste of space.

To give you some idea of what I call a proper dashboard which is useful......check this from my old Mk3.

Often used it as a table to stand drinks or food on (you can't do that on a Mk5 dashboard) The 'trough' just below the heater vent controls was deep enough to hold a pile of pens, pencils etc......everything within arms reach of the driver, something which as a solo traveler is important to me

I agree :D................nowhere for the invertor to charge my laptop or phones, satnav, reversing camera etc, let alone space for our library ;-)

1921443471_P1000360web.jpg.dc09f90f348bf3bdee4c027f48c681a0.jpg

It always strikes me as curious that Mercedes and Fiat/ Renault feel offering a clutchless/automatic version is not an issue but Ford shy away from it. No wonder their share of the Mh market is dropping. One would have thought sales anywhere would a be desirable and I do wonder the relative market share of \Ford against Mercedes these days as I see a heck of a lot of Mercedes vans on the road. Mostly manual I accept but the option is there. I also see an increase in non manual cars these days even in small city type models so the demand is definitely there. Plus any advert for a MH with automatic is always highlighted as 'Highly Desirable'. Makes you wonder who does Ford's marketing.

I accept I am biased towards autos as my wife can only drive them, but even I now prefer them over manuals. My current Volvo with geartronic allows me both options and is just marvellous for ease of driving.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2013-05-20 8:17 PM

It always strikes me as curious that Mercedes and Fiat/ Renault feel offering a clutchless/automatic version is not an issue but Ford shy away from it. No wonder their share of the Mh market is dropping. One would have thought sales anywhere would a be desirable and I do wonder the relative market share of \Ford against Mercedes these days as I see a heck of a lot of Mercedes vans on the road. Mostly manual I accept but the option is there. I also see an increase in non manual cars these days even in small city type models so the demand is definitely there. Plus any advert for a MH with automatic is always highlighted as 'Highly Desirable'. Makes you wonder who does Ford's marketing.

I accept I am biased towards autos as my wife can only drive them, but even I now prefer them over manuals. My current Volvo with geartronic allows me both options and is just marvellous for ease of driving.

I can tell you why Ford don't do a auto Dave ;-)...............when I bought my works van new, I paid for the semi auto box...............and what a pigs ear *-) .............despite several attempts to sort it out, the clutch failed at less than 30k...........and they even had the brass neck to charge me for having it reverted to a manual >:-(

pelmetman - 2013-05-20 7:28 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-05-20 7:21 PM

Total disaster!!!

Often used it as a table to stand drinks or food on (you can't do that on a Mk5 dashboard) The 'trough' just below the heater vent controls was deep enough to hold a pile of pens, pencils etc......everything within arms reach of the driver, something which as a solo traveler is important to me

I agree :D................nowhere for the invertor to charge my laptop or phones, satnav, reversing camera etc, let alone space for our library ;-)

Looking at it again I forgot to mention........the Mk3 also came with a real fag BOX too which only needed emptying every couple of months! My Mk5 has a poxy flat tray so fag butts flirt out on the floor.

This is what happens to vehicle design when the potty pc lot get sticking their oar in. *-)

• 2 years later...

I am seriously considering trading my Windsor Mk7 transit coach built for an Autosleeper Warwick Duo or Warwick XL but both are based on the Peugeot Boxer, but before I jump , now that some time has passed since my original question of PVC on the Mk 8 Transit (not the custom version), has anyone heard if there will be such PVC's unveiled at the October NEC or earlier.

Thanks Mike

mike 202 - 2015-06-12 2:46 PM

I am seriously considering trading my Windsor Mk7 transit coach built for an Autosleeper Warwick Duo or Warwick XL but both are based on the Peugeot Boxer, but before I jump , now that some time has passed since my original question of PVC on the Mk 8 Transit (not the custom version), has anyone heard if there will be such PVC's unveiled at the October NEC or earlier.

Thanks Mike

You can also purchase a Warwick Duo on a Fiat base (I know it's broadly the same vehicle) which gives you the auto option. That might well be my next vehicle.

Archived