Flaking paint on panel van.

John Will

I have a Mondial GT Dec 08 which has the white paint flaking off the grey under coat, it also has rust marks where the van has metal particles in the topcoat.

Fiat sat its to old for even a good will gesture so to trading standards who say I have 6 years of rights against the supplier!

Dealers service manager was aware of Fiat having adhesion paint problems so awaiting Directors decision, recon this could be a long drawn out process.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

The rust in the topcoat is commonly caused by the convertor not adequately clearing swarf after cutting through panels (after mounting, for example, windows and rooflights).

The residual bright-edged metal rusts fairly readily, and then cuts into the top coat.

Something I've seen to one degree or another in almost every 'van I've had (and something I now check for on/shortly after delivery).

It shouldn't be acceptable, but questions may arise as to whether you should have noticed it earlier, and whether this would have mitigated any required rectification.

Afraid it's a fact of life commercials are not finished to the same standards as cars. Most sales go to companies that flog them to death for 3 or 4 years then replace them. It's not just Fiat, a friend had rust problems with a Merc based PVC.

As for the 6 year comment, it is up to you to prove it was a manufacturing defect, at the end of the day Fiat can afford more expensive lawyers than you probably can. Even if you did win you may not get costs awarded you could end up ten's of thousands out of pocket.

The paint on the bonnet of my 2007 Citroen Relay is coming off in chunks.

Sometimes it starts from a small stone chip, but the amount of paint that comes off is much bigger! I've seen some commercial vehicles with more undercoat showing than paint!

It looks like there's only one thin coat of paint applied and it doesn't seem to have keyed to the undercoat very well.

I wouldn't bother trying to get the dealer to help - I've resigned myself to having the bonnet resprayed when it gets too unsightly.

John

lennyhb - 2013-05-20 1:44 PM

Afraid it's a fact of life commercials are not finished to the same standards as cars. Most sales go to companies that flog them to death for 3 or 4 years then replace them. It's not just Fiat, a friend had rust problems with a Merc based PVC.

Mercs had a bad problem with rust a few years ago if you read some of the comments from the courier drivers. Corrosion warranties in general seem to be only against perforation and require annual inspection and repair by a dealer, so not much use.

• 1 year later...

i have a blue citroen relay van 08 with only 46000 miles ,the paint is coming away so badly that its starting to look like someone has thrown white paint over it .i leases this vehicle that was supplied by bassetts bridgend but the lease is with bnp parabis solutions .it most definatley seems as if the problem lays with the primer ,and seems as if the paint has not adhered to the primer ,im trying to get the problem sorted but bassetts past the buck to citreon and they refuse to do anything about it. this is a nation wide problem with citroen , fiat and peugot fans all the same colour blue .how can i get the problem sorted? ive taken photos of my deterioration and picks of vans ive seen with the same problem if anyone has the same issues i would like to have as many pics and posts as poss as this may help my fight to get the problem sorted.

the thing is the cost of putting the problem right will cost more than the value of the van .its discusting that these blue vans wernt called in as its obviously a production problem

i have a blue citroen relay van 08 with only 46000 miles ,the paint is coming away so badly that its starting to look like someone has thrown white paint over it .i leases this vehicle that was supplied by bassetts bridgend but the lease is with bnp parabis solutions .it most definatley seems as if the problem lays with the primer ,and seems as if the paint has not adhered to the primer ,im trying to get the problem sorted but bassetts past the buck to citreon and they refuse to do anything about it. this is a nation wide problem with citroen , fiat and peugot fans all the same colour blue .how can i get the problem sorted? ive taken photos of my deterioration and picks of vans ive seen with the same problem if anyone has the same issues i would like to have as many pics and posts as poss as this may help my fight to get the problem sorted.

the thing is the cost of putting the problem right will cost more than the value of the van .its discusting that these blue vans wernt called in as its obviously a production problem

Guest pelmetman

A bit of flaking paint is easily remedied ;-) ..............Just find yourself a decent paint shop..........It'll be a lot cheaper than changing an otherwise perfect van :D ............

My panel van is about 11 years old and all the " visible " paint looks o.k. - but I noticed recently that there is a small amount of paint flaking off on the roof - with early signs of rusting ( very minor at the moment ).

I've rubbed it down and sprayed over.

So, if checking on your paintwork, don't just check sides / front / back.

;-)

p.s. it's a Fiat Ducato 2003.

Whatever you folks do, don't look underneath, one of the reasons I dumped my PVC when I did, and bought a Rapido with Alko chassis, now I only have the front bit to worry about !

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-10-09 9:59 AM

Whatever you folks do, don't look underneath, one of the reasons I dumped my PVC when I did, and bought a Rapido with Alko chassis, now I only have the front bit to worry about !

My works Tranny is currently having its bodywork done AGAIN *-) ..............as the previous cowboys just filled rather than cut out the rust >:-( ..................The new people quoted £1600..........they've had it 5 weeks so far as they found more rust than they'd expected 8-) ................Popping in today to see how there doing , and get an idea of the final bill :-S ................

Another EU directive has removed anything but water based paints from general use. Solvent based paint can only be used for manufacturing in special cases.

Water based paint is, IMHO, crap. It is soft and chips very easily, there is no real bond between the primer and any subsequent paint, mechanical adhesion is the way it is supposed to stick.

Sometimes it doesn't.

Never mind, it is saving the enviroment >:-) Like low energy light bulbs, under powered vacuum cleaners, weed killer that is so expensive no one uses it, petrol with added alcohol, diesel with added vegetable oil and so on.

Roll on a UKip goverment, time we got out.

H

Funny that France seems to ignore EU directives a lot of the time, we were in Leclercs in Boulogne just last week, loads of vacuums on sale 1600 watts upwards, I wonder if they get different paint as well.

Joe90 - 2014-10-09 2:59 PM

Funny that France seems to ignore EU directives a lot of the time, we were in Leclercs in Boulogne just last week, loads of vacuums on sale 1600 watts upwards, I wonder if they get different paint as well.

I think you'll find that the ban is on making any more, not selling the ones they've got.

;-)

Archived