Clubs, great value

rupert123

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pkc - 2013-05-27 2:24 PM

Didn't mean to seem pedantic, I may be wrong ( it has been known ) but I don' t think Gwendoline ever said she used the caravan on Aires, just stating a reason why she wouldn't.

Just being modest by putting my name in lower case, please feel free to type it as you wish.

I think I need to go and lie down. *-)

By Jove…. you need to lie down! I've just been for a bicycle ride around some charming Provencal villages and returned to the site to have a lie down after my efforts and find that this discussion has taken off in a rather surreal way... with other posters also needing a lie down... no wonder, with all this confusion.

To put the record straight... I have never announced any intention whatsoever of parking my caravan on an Aire.... as I rarely use them in the motorhome, I wouldn't even consider driving my caravan onto an Aire. Don't know where this notion has sprung from. Essentially, I still have a respect for the “Parkie” – a hangover from childhood - and so wouldn’t like to tempt the hand of authority to descend.... however, after all, this I might be tempted to try to pitch one of my tents on an Aire and see what happens. [Not really!]

Haven't brought the old caravan over to mainland Europe for .. hmm... let me see... at least 7 years. Use it in UK only atm.

Right.. as you were…

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-27 2:44 PM

this discussion has taken off in a rather surreal way... with other posters also needing a lie down... no wonder, with all this confusion.

Right.. as you were…

Cheers

Gwen

See what I mean when I say about the power of misreading and how easy it is to misinterpret what people mean when they post on a forum eh!

Anyway glad you enjoyed the bike ride - I feel tired just thinking about it - oh well back to pond diggery for me!

pepe63 - 2013-05-27 10:30 AM

.... it's not exactly "one sided" is it? ;-)

What with some of our more,shall we we say "self righteous" contributors,hardly letting a chance slip by to have a dig at those who use sites(..and then pretending they're "joking" when they're pulled up for it),then I suppose it's hardly surprising that "H" occasionally "gets his retaliation in first"... (lol)

I still consider myself relatively new to this site..but it was pretty clear from the off,that there is an "aire"(see what I did there?) of "superiority" given out by some of those who DON'T use sites.

Perfectly put.

And as for the statement upthread - "It's just that we know that staying on Aires in France is the only way to motorhome!!!!!" - that must be a wind up??? Isn't it??

If not, it should surely carry the qualifier "for us"?? And perhaps they should be telling that to all the German, Dutch, French, Danish, Belgian motorhomers - as well as fellow British motohomers - whom we have met on sites over the last few days.

All I was trying to reflect in my too lenghty post up-thread [to which that quoted reply was given] is that I camp... and have camped... in all manner of outfits and locations for well over 60 years, and I do not have a closed mind at all. Unlike that attitude displayed by that statement.

We still have a couple of tents stored somewhere, as well as the caravan, at home. Our daughter thinks that we have gone "soft" as we no longer use the tents.

Cheers

Gwen

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-05-27 3:30 PM

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-27 3:11 PM

......................... Our daughter thinks that we have gone "soft" as we no longer use the tents.

Cheers

Gwen

I quite agree with her !

:-D

Perhaps we should all get tents ;-)...................as I often hear people say the excitement was in tents :D

pelmetman - 2013-05-27 4:14 PM

Perhaps we should all get tents ;-)...................as I often hear people say the excitement was in tents :D

'Familiarity breeds in tents', I think was the saying we all believed in when we were younger!

I can still recall the site at Newbridge on Wye where my then girl friend and I put up two tents way back in 1968 - and then took one down having first taken a photo for the benefit of our parents!

We then made friends with a young couple in a caravan who said they knew exactly what we were up to because a couple of years earlier they had done exactly the same!

We drove past, and indeed camped there, many a time there after and it never failed to raise a grin and a chuckle!

Memories eh!!

Tracker - 2013-05-27 4:21 PM

'Familiarity breeds in tents', I think was the saying we all believed in when we were younger!

I can still recall the site at Newbridge on Wye where my then girl friend and I put up two tents way back in 1968 - and then took one down having first taken a photo for the benefit of our parents!

We then made friends with a young couple in a caravan who said they knew exactly what we were up to because a couple of years earlier they had done exactly the same!

We drove past, and indeed camped there, many a time there after and it never failed to raise a grin and a chuckle!

Memories eh!!

My dominant memory of camping at Newbridge –on-Wye is of an unwanted surprise, which did cause some excitement. In those far off days [early 60s] I was a Cub Pack Leader. Took the Cub Scouts camping [idyllic spot, on banks of the river] and some little sod put a grass snake in my sleeping bag.

Tracker - 2013-05-27 2:51 PM

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-27 2:44 PM

this discussion has taken off in a rather surreal way... with other posters also needing a lie down... no wonder, with all this confusion.

Right.. as you were…

Cheers

Gwen

See what I mean when I say about the power of misreading and how easy it is to misinterpret what people mean when they post on a forum eh!

Anyway glad you enjoyed the bike ride - I feel tired just thinking about it - oh well back to pond diggery for me!

So, as I said waaaaaaaaay back, if only you'd read her post proper, you'd have realised the motorhome is for aires (though Gwen prefers sites), and the caravan is for sites. Blimey! :-D

malc d - 2013-05-27 3:30 PM

......................... Our daughter thinks that we have gone "soft" as we no longer use the tents.

Cheers

Gwen

I quite agree with her !

:-D

I definitely remember a lot of excitement in tents! 8-)

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-27 5:54 PM

So, as I said waaaaaaaaay back, if only you'd read her post proper, you'd have realised the motorhome is for aires (though Gwen prefers sites), and the caravan is for sites. Blimey! :-D

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone Brian!

I must admit to not reading the posting properly, as I later discovered!

Like others, I got the wrong end of the stick - but at least it wasn't me who made two and two equal five initially but I don't mind you singling me out for advice and I won't get all nasty and stroppy when I'm wrong - it happens too often!

Meanwhile the wooden stirring device is in the post to you - not that you need it!

pepe63 - 2013-05-27 10:30 AM

.... it's not exactly "one sided" is it? ;-)

What with some of our more,shall we we say "self righteous" contributors,hardly letting a chance slip by to have a dig at those who use sites(..and then pretending they're "joking" when they're pulled up for it),then I suppose it's hardly surprising that "H" occasionally "gets his retaliation in first"... (lol)

I still consider myself relatively new to this site..but it was pretty clear from the off,that there is an "aire"(see what I did there?) of "superiority" given out by some of those who DON'T use sites.

Perfectly put.

And as for the statement upthread - "It's just that we know that staying on Aires in France is the only way to motorhome!!!!!" - that must be a wind up??? Isn't it??

If not, it should surely carry the qualifier "for us"?? And perhaps they should be telling that to all the German, Dutch, French, Danish, Belgian motorhomers - as well as fellow British motohomers - whom we have met on sites over the last few days.

All I was trying to reflect in my too lenghty post up-thread [to which that quoted reply was given] is that I camp... and have camped... in all manner of outfits and locations for well over 60 years, and I do not have a closed mind at all. Unlike that attitude displayed by that statement.

We still have a couple of tents stored somewhere, as well as the caravan, at home. Our daughter thinks that we have gone "soft" as we no longer use the tents.

Cheers

Gwen

Gwen of course the statement you quote from us was not intended to be taken seriously as was in the context of not being patronising to those who do not share our passion for Aires. To be clear; we use Aires because we find they meet our needs, others find sites meet theirs. We do not wild camp. Your use of a site to visit the theatre in Stratford, which sounds great, will clearly work for you. In the same way one of our destinations this time is Le Harvre to visit the excellent modern art museum. This we will do by staying on the aire which is only a short walk away, which means it works for us. This is why we use Aires because they enable us to visit places, have a meal out etc all within easy reach of van which is not always so often that easy from a site. We are not worried if we are parked fairly close or if cost is more than a site, nor do went showerblocks et al. But we know others prefer these facilities and like to get away from it all and why not. As Brian more or less says it's each to his or her own and main thing is to enjoy it.

Tracker - 2013-05-27 6:53 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-27 5:54 PM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone Brian!

I must admit to not reading the posting properly, as I later discovered!

Like others, I got the wrong end of the stick - but at least it wasn't me who made two and two equal five initially but I don't mind you singling me out for advice and I won't get all nasty and stroppy when I'm wrong - it happens too often!

Meanwhile the wooden stirring device is in the post to you - not that you need it!

Oh dear! Now you're all offended. :-S But hey, I did try to warn you off right at the start, Rich! First reply to your post. Didn't really single you out, just responded to the leader of the charge. So not stirring, just indulging in a bit of slightly wicked fun at someone else's expense. Sorry! ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-28 12:05 AM

Oh dear! Now you're all offended. :-S But hey, I did try to warn you off right at the start, Rich! First reply to your post. Didn't really single you out, just responded to the leader of the charge. So not stirring, just indulging in a bit of slightly wicked fun at someone else's expense. Sorry! ;-)

Not in the least offended Brian - one bit of wicked fun just deserved another!

rupert123 - 2013-05-26 10:21 AM

Muswell - 2013-05-25 5:33 PM

rupert123 - 2013-05-25 4:57 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-05-25 3:10 PM

You really are a case Rubert.

Your photographs

"Just to show typical pitch so not just a view.

2] Narbonne acsi site

3 St. Malo acsi site sorry about the washing, wife insists on doing it. "

Scrubby pitches surrounded by hedges. Well these are really amazing

Well I will give you that about the Narbonne grass but they do not get much rain down their and this was near the end of the season. Still a great pitch though, pretty big with individual shower/ toilet/water and waste, nice flowers all around and very private, what more do you want, something like a typical aire i expect, bit like this one, nice.

I think that's the same site we stayed in last June, is it La Nautique? Very nice, all you say plus restaurant, pool etc and the sea just the other side of their boundary.

Yep thats it.

Could be heading there today. Been chasing decent weather here in south of France but hasn't really got going yet, although pleasant here in Frontignon Plage. Rain forecast today for almost everywhere.......

We too are off to find some sun … of the type which has heat in it! Not the cool sun of the last few days. OH has declared himself fit and well. Having left the site in the Luberon [it was lovely but remote and we ran out of supplies] we are now on a site that I do not like at all…. [just ‘cos I like sites in general doesn’t mean I like all sites!] and I cannot wait to drive off today. [Nice area though – and went to St Remy de Provence – thanks for the tip Brian K.]

Think we are heading for Spain. Didn’t intend at start of this trip to go to Spain… but weather has been vile with sunny breaks of a few days at a time. Not that hot, despite the sun. 3 weeks in, I am fed up and want to go home….. rain / floods / snow / hail / thunder / bit of sun. But we’ll see what awaits us further South.

Toodle pip.

Gwen

sambukashot - 2013-05-28 7:55 AM

Hi Gwen,

We are in Girona, Spain and it bright sunshine, warm and its only 9.00am

Shame to hear about the weather in France as we are heading there in the next few days :(

Well, weather is set to improve, allegedly. But we’ve been saying that in desperate hope for 3 weeks, and came to Provence in certain sureness it would be hot here!Good luck!CheersGwenPs>>Oh, hello rain. Haven’t seen you for 2 days. We’re off!

Hi Gwen,

Shame to hear about the weather in France as we are heading there in the next few days :(

Well, weather is set to improve, allegedly. But we’ve been saying that in desperate hope for 3 weeks, and came to Provence in certain sureness it would be hot here!Good luck!CheersGwenPs>>Oh, hello rain. Haven’t seen you for 2 days. We’re off!

Hi Gwen,

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2013-05-28 10:33 AM

We are leaving for France next week. I think I'll pack my Spanish stuff as well.

Good idea....Even south of France (been relatively decent lately) deteriorating.

Guest JudgeMental
sambukashot - 2013-05-28 1:40 PM

Gwen, i take it all back! 

2.00pm in Girona, black clouds all over and now rain :(

Whats going on with the weather? Global warming?

God has abandoned his children.....you need to drive south a bit more.....25 deg and sunnyhttp://woozor.fr/meteo-gratuite-10-jours/meteo-de-paris-en-france_62_6463_fr.html

sambukashot - 2013-05-28 1:40 PM

Gwen, i take it all back! 

2.00pm in Girona, black clouds all over and now rain :(

Whats going on with the weather? Global warming?

Maybe I shouldn't have said I was thinking of going to Spain. Sorry.

Archived