Clubs, great value

rupert123

pepe63 - 2013-06-18 2:29 PM...............I thought everything MH related on the Continent was so easy going and chilled..?, what with the place being awash with pitches an' all.....So why the need to queue? ;-)

(..or are they all Brits?...we do seem to love a good queue.. (lol) )

Oh but, the same is also true at many French sites. Shut from 12:00 till 14:00. Time for them to have lunch, and maybe a quick clean up of the toilets before the afternoon onslaught.

Everyone sits down to eat at about the same time, and they don't like nasty, noisy, smelly, motorhomes disturbing their peace while they eat and drink. An excellent instution, I think. :-)

Time to arrive is as close as possible after 14:00, because then, if it's a bit busy, one gets the pick of the vacant pitches. Late June - early September strategy for popular places only, the rest of the time it won't matter, within reason, when you turn up! No booking, instant access. Perfick!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-06-18 2:39 PM

lennyhb - 2013-06-18 10:22 AM

Just wondering what Henry would do (probably go to a hotel).

On our recent trip to France, no Aires in the Area so we headed for a campsite in a forest park but being only the 31st May it was closed, not unexpected we have got used to sites outside main tourist areas only opening for July & August.

So what do we do of course we wild camped in the car park 100 yds down the road and very pleasant it was too. (lol).

We had a very pleasant 10 days mostly by the Normandy beaches (D Day week) sunshine every day and no rain. A couple of the villages had cut the grass in fields on the edge of the village so Motorhomes could stay, no charge of course (would never happen in the UK).

Edit: It's not about money Henry in 10 days we spent 28€ on camping, way over budget. :D

Just back from our Somerset/Cornwall trip, good weather, except last day, great sites, good, very helpfull wardens. No hotels for us Lenny as I have never, ever, not been able to find a site open in France at any time of the year, you must drive around with your eyes closed. Incidently I also must say have never seen so many euro vans around as this year. On this trip we saw a lot of Germans, some Dutch and even a couple of Swiss in Cornwall. Spoke to some Germans on the next pitch to us at Sennen, asked how they were getting on. They said fine, no problems with sites and all the main tourist places they wanted to visit catered for large vehicles. They knew in advance we did not have an aires type system but it did not bother them. Did not see any French vans though but they are just as tight as some on here so will probably stay in France, camping in laybys and annoying everyone. Incidently Lenny nice layby, not for us though.

You really are gem are you not, good weather indeed, pull the other one, as for helpful wardens what help exactly did you need, lining up on the pitch marker, or finding your way to those wonderful "facilties" a bog and a tap. You stay where you are Henry, oh and by the way we're in touch with our Daughter in Cymru, she tells us the weather's been crap virtually all the time we've been away. Well must go now, to join the cheapskate Frenchies where we currently are, Camping Le Terraces du Lac, 26 today, so off for a swim in their lovely pool, all for 14€ a night, we don't all spend our days on laybyes, try changing the record it gets awfully predictable with you.

1footinthegrave - 2013-06-18 3:58 PM

On our recent trip to France, no Aires in the Area so we headed for a campsite in a forest park but being only the 31st May it was closed, not unexpected we have got used to sites outside main tourist areas only opening for July & August.

So what do we do of course we wild camped in the car park 100 yds down the road and very pleasant it was too. (lol).

We had a very pleasant 10 days mostly by the Normandy beaches (D Day week) sunshine every day and no rain. A couple of the villages had cut the grass in fields on the edge of the village so Motorhomes could stay, no charge of course (would never happen in the UK).

Edit: It's not about money Henry in 10 days we spent 28€ on camping, way over budget. :D

Just back from our Somerset/Cornwall trip, good weather, except last day, great sites, good, very helpfull wardens. No hotels for us Lenny as I have never, ever, not been able to find a site open in France at any time of the year, you must drive around with your eyes closed. Incidently I also must say have never seen so many euro vans around as this year. On this trip we saw a lot of Germans, some Dutch and even a couple of Swiss in Cornwall. Spoke to some Germans on the next pitch to us at Sennen, asked how they were getting on. They said fine, no problems with sites and all the main tourist places they wanted to visit catered for large vehicles. They knew in advance we did not have an aires type system but it did not bother them. Did not see any French vans though but they are just as tight as some on here so will probably stay in France, camping in laybys and annoying everyone. Incidently Lenny nice layby, not for us though.

You really are gem are you not, good weather indeed, pull the other one, as for helpful wardens what help exactly did you need, lining up on the pitch marker, or finding your way to those wonderful "facilties" a bog and a tap. You stay where you are Henry, oh and by the way we're in touch with our Daughter in Cymru, she tells us the weather's been crap virtually all the time we've been away. Well must go now, to join the cheapskate Frenchies where we currently are, Camping Le Terraces du Lac, 26 today, so off for a swim in their lovely pool, all for 14€ a night, we don't all spend our days on laybyes, try changing the record it gets awfully predictable with you.

Yep you must really be enjoying yourself, so much so you come on here posting. We had a week of great weather, which was over nearly all the UK, except where your daughter was obviously. A couple of 'so so' days and one of rain. Bet their are not many French on your site and most are Brits, Dutch or Germans. Glad to see you are on a decent site and regret I cannot join you in France until September this year. Weather is again good by the way and predicted to remain so for at least the rest of the week, pleased it is in France as well now. I was replying to Lenny by the way so if you do not want the same answers suggest you and others stop posting the same questions.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2013-06-18 5:26 PM

Yep you must really be enjoying yourself, so much so you come on here posting. We had a week of great weather, which was over nearly all the UK, except where your daughter was obviously. A couple of 'so so' days and one of rain. Bet their are not many French on your site and most are Brits, Dutch or Germans. Glad to see you are on a decent site and regret I cannot join you in France until September this year. Weather is again good by the way and predicted to remain so for at least the rest of the week, pleased it is in France as well now. I was replying to Lenny by the way so if you do not want the same answers suggest you and others stop posting the same questions.

what a stupid & pig ignorent s**te bird!lol

Driving 50 or 60 miles at 6 O'clock in the evening to find an Aire or Campsite that is open is not my idea of fun Henry. It was not a lay-by it was a car park in a forest at least a mile from road and we were the only ones there. Much more pleasant than any site no one but us and an amazing variety of birds singing in the trees.

It is you that drive around with your eyes closed it is quite normal in rural France for sites only to open in July & August and in our experience this has been the case for last 35 years since we have been regular visitors to France. I always have a copy of the FFCC guide in the van which lists literally every campsite in France. There were only 2 sites in the area we were in and both were closed.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-06-18 5:26 PM

Henry it's the 21st century now, many of us use technology like free wifi to catch up with news, weather forecasts, and keep touch with family of course, and yes we are really having a great time thanks, right now the missus is reading her kindle books,but looking a little like a Lobster, and I'm just having a few laughs at some of the usual suspects comments.

Anyway I do hope the UK weather is on the up, my sister went to the races a couple of days ago. And she tells me it was cold and wet for her, so you must have got lucky, or as your a man of leisure why wait until September, it's lovely now, apart from a bit of a blow this evening, really welcome though after the heat of the day here. ;-)

Did not see any French vans though but they are just as tight as some on here so will probably stay in France, camping in laybys and annoying everyone. Incidently Lenny nice layby, not for us though.

Asininity personified.

Do not mock: pity the cretin.

Glad the Euro campers you met were happy with U.k. camping, we however, have met many who are not.Earlier this year a German vanner we met on CC Crystal Palace site could not believe the amount she was charged whilst French vanners waiting to cross were amazed to find out had to pay to stay overnight on motorway services!!

Pleased also weather is so good at home but must say forecast for end week and weekend, when we will be back, does not look that good to us. Sunny and warm here on north coast at Fecamp.

Not surprised few French vans seen in Cornwall as given numbers on Aires this year few, sensibly, have left the Hexagon. Seriously the Aires this year are very busy, 100 vans here at Fecamp and 400 at Honfleur over weekend, so advice is arrive in good time and if parking close worries you then avoid the popular Aires.

robertandjean - 2013-06-19 10:58 AM......................Glad the Euro campers you met were happy with U.k. camping, we however, have met many who are not.Earlier this year a German vanner we met on CC Crystal Palace site could not believe the amount she was charged whilst French vanners waiting to cross were amazed to find out had to pay to stay overnight on motorway services!!..............

Dearly beloved! :-) Those who blunder into the UK unprepared and uninformed have no-one but themselves to blame when the discover the UK is not quite the same as their homeland! I assume your German acquaintances must fall into this category, as the Crystal palace CC site has its rates openly displayed on the net, so they could easily have checked. There is no real point to make here.

This is a city site, and city sites are invariably more expensive than elsewhere. A pitch plus two adults, this year, at peak rate, is £28 per night. In 2006 we paid €30.24 per night for a site just outside Rome. Allow for inflation netween then and now, and is the comparison so unfavourable? It is about the going rate for a city campsite.

Equally, the French will have been amazed that they had to pay to stop on motorway services, because a) the French do not that commonly stray away from France and b) you can overnight on French autoroutes (though generally advised not to by the French police) at no charge. Those who travel little do tend to have difficulty adjusting to the differences between countries. But, a site is a site, and not an aire, and your point seems mainly to be directed at drawing that, if I may say rather obvious, conclusion.

Those who prefer sites know why, and are prepared to pay for what they want. Likewise those who prefer aires, or motorway service stations, presumably know what they prefer and pay accordingly. My question, I suppose, is what, exactly, is your point? Why does any of it matter?

pepe63 - 2013-06-19 8:27 AM

...I thought when I first read it ,that "H" was doing a bit of "fishing" with that last line of his post(."..tight..camping in laybys.."etc) ? ;-)

He appears to have got more bites than even he could've expected.... (lol)

Yep, sensitive souls these 'wild campers'. At least Lenny remains non abusive unlike the more obnoxious members on here, you know the Mental and Crinkel cut ones.

Its a good job we all like different things in life.

I like club sites Partictlarily c &c c ones as we like to watch tuggers struggling with awnings and campers making breakfast in the rain. Yes i know were easily amused :)

Brian Kirby - 2013-06-19 12:46 PM

robertandjean - 2013-06-19 10:58 AM......................Glad the Euro campers you met were happy with U.k. camping, we however, have met many who are not.Earlier this year a German vanner we met on CC Crystal Palace site could not believe the amount she was charged whilst French vanners waiting to cross were amazed to find out had to pay to stay overnight on motorway services!!..............

Dearly beloved! :-) Those who blunder into the UK unprepared and uninformed have no-one but themselves to blame when the discover the UK is not quite the same as their homeland! I assume your German acquaintances must fall into this category, as the Crystal palace CC site has its rates openly displayed on the net, so they could easily have checked. There is no real point to make here.

This is a city site, and city sites are invariably more expensive than elsewhere. A pitch plus two adults, this year, at peak rate, is £28 per night. In 2006 we paid €30.24 per night for a site just outside Rome. Allow for inflation netween then and now, and is the comparison so unfavourable? It is about the going rate for a city campsite.

Equally, the French will have been amazed that they had to pay to stop on motorway services, because a) the French do not that commonly stray away from France and b) you can overnight on French autoroutes (though generally advised not to by the French police) at no charge. Those who travel little do tend to have difficulty adjusting to the differences between countries. But, a site is a site, and not an aire, and your point seems mainly to be directed at drawing that, if I may say rather obvious, conclusion.

Those who prefer sites know why, and are prepared to pay for what they want. Likewise those who prefer aires, or motorway service stations, presumably know what they prefer and pay accordingly. My question, I suppose, is what, exactly, is your point? Why does any of it matter?

Brian old mate, we are well aware of the cost of city sites in most of Europe as we enjoy visiting cities and have stayed on sites from Helsinki to Palermo and many in between. The point we were trying to make, although clearly not well, was that a generalisation that all euro campers are happy with U.K. camp sites and charges as Henri implied is not the case.

Nor is your assertion that French vanners show little inclination to leave France, although who could blame them if they did always stay put. On our wider travels we have seen French vans in many distant places, a couple of years ago we came across some in both Chile and Uruguay for example. Also the Silk Route group is a French led organisation which have many trips to exotic destination; would not be surprised to see some next year on our visit to the far east.

Regarding Aires then we are not suggesting anyone should stay overnight on motorway service areas in France or anywhere else, we certainly do not. Yes we do know what we prefer and why we stay on Aires and as we have stated many times for us it is nothing to do with cost but very much to do with being near where we want to be and the lack of site formality. We know many enjoy the site experience and that's great if it floats your boat. Main point we were making this time about Aires is warning other Aires users (and yes we do come across other happy Brits on Aires) that this year the Aires are very busy, more so than we have experienced previously.

robertandjean - 2013-06-19 4:25 PM..................... The point we were trying to make, although clearly not well, was that a generalisation that all euro campers are happy with U.K. camp sites and charges as Henri implied is not the case.

Oh, I don't like doing this, but to be fair! What Henry actually said was "Spoke to some Germans on the next pitch to us at Sennen, asked how they were getting on. They said fine, no problems with sites and all the main tourist places they wanted to visit catered for large vehicles. They knew in advance we did not have an aires type system but it did not bother them." This is hardly your "all euro campers are happy with U.K. camp sites and charges". I know he tends to exaggerate, but even so! :-)

Nor is your assertion that French vanners show little inclination to leave France, although who could blame them if they did always stay put. ...............

But, what I said is true: to use your phrase, they do "show little inclination to leave France". It is only the uncommon who go abroad, and the very uncommon who belong to l’Association Camping-Cars sur les Routes de la Soie et du Monde. Plainly, the ones you met were among the more adverturous, but were relatively poorly informed.

Regarding Aires then we are not suggesting anyone should stay overnight on motorway service areas in France or anywhere else, we certainly do not. Yes we do know what we prefer and why we stay on Aires and as we have stated many times for us it is nothing to do with cost but very much to do with being near where we want to be and the lack of site formality. We know many enjoy the site experience and that's great if it floats your boat. Main point we were making this time about Aires is warning other Aires users (and yes we do come across other happy Brits on Aires) that this year the Aires are very busy, more so than we have experienced previously.

I know, I know, and I did not suggest that you were. I suspect we are mostly by now aware you prefer aires :-) and your warning about the current crowding is well made.

I'm sorry if I bit, but I do find all this missionary zeal about aires, and the silly jibes back and forth between those who prefer them, those who prefer sites, and those who prefer neither, so mind-numbingly tedious. They are a great idea. Period. But, in the great scheme of things, no more so than campsites, wild camps, or anywhere else folk enjoy stopping. The point, surely, is to be able to go where you enjoy being, wherever that is? Sorry! :-S

Missionary zeal about Aires Brian, us surely not! Just want to make sure no one misses out on one of the great ways to motorhome! Seriously note your comments 're silly exchanges regarding which is best between sites Aires etc and will try to avoid same.

Now at Le Treport where aire here is not so busy with spaces last night. Great bonus is that tourist info office, on side port walking into town from aire, now offers free WiFi and have set out cafe style tables overlooking the boats where are now sending this from, before going into town for lunch then driving back to port.

Brian Kirby

Dearly beloved! :-) Those who blunder into the UK unprepared and uninformed have no-one but themselves

This is an excellent point.

One only has to witness the number of question on this and numerous other sites to appreciate the trouble that we Brits go to before venturing onto the Continent. Questions encompass campsites, vignettes, motorway tolls, aires, routes, insurance, places to visit, beam benders, speed limits etc. etc. etc. Surely it’s incumbent on our Continental cousins to have a similar approach.

Cattwg :-D

Archived