Clubs, great value

rupert123

This looks like another 'let us stir the pot' Post.

The arguments have been aired many times and the bottom line is 'each to his/her own'. The value of any trip can be measured in far more things than just costs, although these of course do influence things.Cheap bargains may not be bargains and being ripped off always leaves a sour taste even if the scenery is good. Factors such as weather, scenery, facilties, even your travel companions can make a trip either memorable or one to regret.

People choose to go where they do for many reasons and that is their choice, so may I suggest the OP should maybe just be happy with what he has done for himself and stop trying to antagonise others.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave225 - 2013-05-20 8:03 PM

You're right Dave, and we should all be happy however we choose to camp, but maybe some more choices would be welcome?

If ACSI got involved in the UK I think it would be of benefit to all travellers in the UK, and might encourage more campers from mainland EU. It would certainly be a wake up call to the clubs and independents.What are the chances?

regards

alan b

Canal and River Trust manage long term moorings on most of GB's navigable waterways.

Rates for moorings vary but a 10m boat with can be moored with EHU and access to full sanitary station facilities for something like £3-6 per day. Even super-exclusive moorings can work out at a fraction of the cost of being able to park a van in a field.

And if the big club sites are so splendid, why is it that both clubs constantly have to promote them in their own magazines, and that letters pages are dominated with letters proffering gushing praise for sites and wardens.

Methinks they doth protest too much...

I think there are some benefits to being a club member, like access to CL/CS sites, travel services, insurance benefits etc. but delivery of the proprietary service ie management of main sites, could be much cheaper, and could also be much more efficiently and supportively administered.

snowie - 2013-05-20 8:23 PM

Dave225 - 2013-05-20 8:03 PM

You're right Dave, and we should all be happy however we choose to camp, but maybe some more choices would be welcome?

If ACSI got involved in the UK I think it would be of benefit to all travellers in the UK, and might encourage more campers from mainland EU. It would certainly be a wake up call to the clubs and independents.What are the chances?

regards

alan b

ACSI is involved a few UK sites but of course has nothing like the network offered by CC and C&CC. It is curious that both CC and C&CC will sell you an ACSI book/card but will not offer the discounts on their own sites. They also often show a 'ACSI Inspected' board but no acceptance of the card. They know it is very popular so want a piece of the 'action' but do not wish to jeopardise their existing set ups. Personally I always buy my ACSI book direct, as it can be cheaper and is more reliable. C&CC had problems with supply a year or so ago. The other thing I have noticed is that if you plan to stay a long time on a site in Europe discuss this with the site owners as they will often give you the same rate as ACSI, or even less with sometimes a better pitch choice. It always pays to ask. Camping Cheques are also quite popular but seem to be declining in popularity recently. Some sites have stopped accepting them. Again the CC jumped on the act by happily offering to sell you Camping Cheques but will not accept them on their sites.

What always amuses us is that campsite supporters, club or otherwise, always say of aire fans like ourselves that we only use Aires to save money, yet the main point they almost always make is how cheap the site they use is !!!! An exception to this is Eddie who, rightly, stays where it suits him irrespective of cost. In the same way we enjoy Aires and will stay on them even if a near by campsite is cheaper.

What always amuses us is that campsite supporters, club or otherwise, always say of aire fans like ourselves that we only use Aires to save money, yet the main point they almost always make is how cheap the site they use is !!!! An exception to this is Eddie who, rightly, stays where it suits him irrespective of cost. In the same way we enjoy Aires and will stay on them even if a near by campsite is cheaper.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-05-20 12:27 PM

Meeting up with some old mates down in Cornwall next month before going off the France, we are meeting at the Caravan and Camping Club site at Sennen. £36.03 for the three nights with electric hookup, I have paid more than this on aires, tremendous value. For good quality sites at very good prices it is certainly hard to beat the two main clubs in the UK out of high season. Better run and better quality than 90% of euro sites.

Wow, good for you. ;-) I wouldn't bother going over the water, especially with all those crap sites.

JudgeMental - 2013-05-20 6:10 PM

rupert123 - 2013-05-20 6:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-20 5:33 PM

Sounds brill! They have a fish and chip van visit ONCE every week!!!!! top that Euroland! That H really knows how to live!:D

We have booked a decent enough reviewed site without all the pomp and circumstance..... in Padstow for next week. £21 a night

£21 a night, do you get free Rick Stein chips for that? :'(

No, but I dont care..at least site will be full of normal folk! :-D

No it won't Eddie, you will be their. *-)

rupert123 - 2013-05-20 12:27 PM

Meeting up with some old mates down in Cornwall next month before going off the France, we are meeting at the Caravan and Camping Club site at Sennen. £36.03 for the three nights with electric hookup, I have paid more than this on aires, tremendous value. For good quality sites at very good prices it is certainly hard to beat the two main clubs in the UK out of high season. Better run and better quality than 90% of euro sites.

I think your percentage is rather too high Henry, but otherwise I broadly agree. What both clubs do achieve is consistent quality, though not at the top end, IMO. We have stayed at some European sites that make the consistent UK club sites look very dowdy. We have also stayed at a few that make the UK club sites look quite upmarket! In terms of maintenance and cleanliness, I agree the UK clubs take a lot of beating. Value for money is a bit variable, with some much better than others, especially mid-week. The main problem is the near non-availability of pitches at weekends, and a fairly pronounced tendency not to like those who arrive un-booked. Notwithstanding, when we do use them, which is not that often, we generally temp fate and just arrive!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Aires great value, one of which we stayed at right at the side of a river, lovely village, great bus service to Angers, hardstandings and grass, complete with electric hookups, toilets, showers, and food prep sinks, cost 8 Euros. No need to phone to book in, arrive what time you like, and leave when you like,make sure you are on the right pitch marker ( five of them now ) please change the one track record Henry, it is starting to get a bit samey you know.

Serious question, not trying to be contenscious.

To those who use Aires on a regular basis - In high season is there much difficulty getting on the Aire of your choise or do you regularly have to have an alternative in mind because 1st choise is full ?

We don't use Aires very often & then really only for an enroute overnight, but usually head for a Site as they tend to have more pitches. So (in our mind) less chance of not getting a pitch in the area we want.

Also what provison do you make to ensure you have the "jetons" if arriving late.?

flicka - 2013-05-21 12:57 AM

To those who use Aires on a regular basis - In high season is there much difficulty getting on the Aire of your choise or do you regularly have to have an alternative in mind because 1st choise is full ?

We don't use Aires very often & then really only for an enroute overnight, but usually head for a Site as they tend to have more pitches. So (in our mind) less chance of not getting a pitch in the area we want.

Also what provison do you make to ensure you have the "jetons" if arriving late.?

OK, honest answer:

In all the years we've used Aires across mainland Europe, touring for many weeks at a time per tour, I can think of only one time when the place was so full that we couldn't get in. We wild-camped locally instead.

We've never had a problem with jetons, as we never ever use them at all.

We don't bother using the hookup/freshwater supply on any pay Aire, as we can go indefinitely without mains hookup, and only need a water fill-up about once every 5 days....at any available tap at a garage or free Aire. Grey and blackwater can be disp[osed of at an Aire without the need for a jeton.

Guest 1footinthegrave
flicka - 2013-05-20 11:57 PM

Flicka I can only speak for myself, I avoid everywhere like the plague in high season, as for jetons I don't recall any Aires they have been needed, usually just some coins for services where they are not provided free.We live on the coast, the beach holds little appeal for us, so we always head inland, where we have found many of the nicest Aires, the primary reason we try to use Aires is as far as possible avoid other people, and the comparative freedom they afford.

Guest JudgeMental

Flicka, as we almost exclusively take van holidays high season. I can assure you most of the popular areas are jam packed, and the few times we have tried to get on an aire we failed and to be honest you wouldn't want to stay on them, we have overnighted on busy aires many times and thats OK, as we are just travelling through, but as a destination in themselves..not for us!. One is stuck in my mind, it was on the cote de azur near st tropez and we had pre booked campsite. this aire down the road was more like a refugee camp or gypsy camp, packed to the rafters and all the washing out..some holiday! :-D

For those who travel out of season airea an entirely different proposition, and mostly fine..So please dont take the above as anti aire sentiment...

Guest JudgeMental
crinklystarfish - 2013-05-21 9:08 AM

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-20 9:52 PM

...The main problem is the near non-availability of pitches at weekends, and a fairly pronounced tendency not to like those who arrive un-booked...

They sound smashing. How do I sign up? ;-)

crinkles you dont have to!......they sent moi 2 x 2013 cards even though I had left.. please accept them as a gift! :D

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-21 9:08 AM

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-20 9:52 PM

...The main problem is the near non-availability of pitches at weekends, and a fairly pronounced tendency not to like those who arrive un-booked...

They sound smashing. How do I sign up? ;-)

Not sure if you could.

'Ere Fred, we've got some geezer trying to book ooh says 'es a starfish!

Hmmmmmm! :-D

sambukashot - 2013-05-20 8:44 PM

I like this site, 4 nights stay no charge!

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/images/Tarragona-Beach-2.jpg

Looks like a bit of sand with a view of some semi derelict sheds and some water. Not exactly an outstanding view or spot, but free. If it suits fine, not for us though.

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-20 11:10 PM

Please change the one track record Henry, it is starting to get a bit samey you know.

What record is this. I can never recall even mentioning the Caravan and Camping Club before and certainly not prices. Just thought i was giving a bit of usefull information about the bargains out their so you can stop 'sluming it' and stay on a few sites for a change. (lol)

I prefer to support the small site the club and larger commercial sites have a homogenised view of camping and motorhoming. Worst of all is the club sites stupid rules about arrival and departure time,which is fine in a hotel or B&B with limited space but a large campsite should be able to cope.The strangest thing on club sites is the fact that they have to close the facilities mid-morning for cleaning,I've never experienced that on a small site.In fact with a warm welcome you feel part of the family and even clean the facilities after you have used them,like at home.

I don't like club sites for many reasons cost is on the list but fairly low down after stroppy wardens,kids and other campers that don't respect the privacy of a pitch.

My club memberships gives me access to a network of CLs/CSs

Guest 1footinthegrave

We have a fundamentally different view about our choice of where to stay I guess from Henry, and although we are members of the CC, we only use CL.s, and even those now rarely. It simply is not our bag to stay parked up in a site with a van, for us it's always about the journey, a place to put our head being the priority, nothing more nothing less. Some club sites are now £28 a night, which if all you want is a kip and then hit the road is not value for money for us. ;-)

A friend of ours thinks we're all nuts anyway, when he's just booked a self catering apartment in Corfu for 24 Euros a night, I'm beginning to think he may be onto something, considering we've spent nearly a grand on the van this year, and have yet to go anywhere because of this Global warming :-(

Guest pelmetman
rupert123 - 2013-05-21 5:11 PM

Looks like a bit of sand with a view of some semi derelict sheds and some water. Not exactly an outstanding view or spot, but free. If it suits fine, not for us though.
You need to go to Specsavers ;-)................some nicely draped muslin there B-)

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2013-05-21 6:43 PM
rupert123 - 2013-05-21 5:11 PM

You need to go to Specsavers ;-)................some nicely draped muslin there B-)
Thats what I thought ...more like a beach wedding setup. But then again H is most definitely in the glass half full camp, And not surprised where he lives..No wonder CC seems so wonderful! :D

Archived