Clubs, great value

rupert123

Guest 1footinthegrave
That would be a good one, I've got some tips already, don't move it off your drive, instead spend countless hours, days, and months sitting at home in it posting b*****ks on these forums. ;-)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2013-05-22 4:55 PM

That would be a good one, I've got some tips already, don't move it off your drive, instead spend countless hours, days, and months sitting at home in it posting b*****ks on these forums. ;-)

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

There is a fair few that could apply to including myself these days! Having said that the bloody van seems to be costing me a fortune with this and that and I still havent hardly used it this year!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Barryd999 - 2013-05-22 5:29 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-22 4:55 PM

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

There is a fair few that could apply to including myself these days! Having said that the bloody van seems to be costing me a fortune with this and that and I still havent hardly used it this year!

Yes me too, nearly a grand spent on my 2003 PVC in the last couple of months, and yet to turn a wheel, and to be honest ( unlike Henry I suspect ) with a very modest retirement income I'm fast coming to the conclusion it's becoming more of a mill stone than anything else. :'(

BGD - 2013-05-21 12:18 AM

OK, honest answer:

In all the years we've used Aires across mainland Europe, touring for many weeks at a time per tour, I can think of only one time when the place was so full that we couldn't get in. We wild-camped locally instead.

We've never had a problem with jetons, as we never ever use them at all.

We don't bother using the hookup/freshwater supply on any pay Aire, as we can go indefinitely without mains hookup, and only need a water fill-up about once every 5 days....at any available tap at a garage or free Aire. Grey and blackwater can be disp[osed of at an Aire without the need for a jeton.

Well I had better come clean - The last 3 years we have overnighted in the grounds of "Gites" where other family members have been holidaying.

Most of the Aires we have used have been for DAYTIME parking, whilst visiting in their location & give us an opportunity to recharge the wife's wheelchair batteries whilst we have a snack & drink, etc., before departing.

But approx 50% of the Aires we have used required "jetons" for EHU & "sods law" the place indicated to obtain jeton's has been closed for the typically long French lunch. So thwarted by our own petard, so to speak.

Most of the places where we have obtained the jeton, have been reluctant to sell more than what they consider appropriate for an overnight stay, so we have never been able to "bank" any, for times when supplies unavailable.

What do others do ?

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well we have either been lucky at the hundreds we have stopped at, or you have been unlucky, we have only ever come across one aire on the somme that required a jeton,that were available at the boulangerie ( before the 2 hour lunch break )

Further to that, as far as "banking some" I'm pretty certain for those Aires that do use a jetton there are variations so would be unlikely to be of any use should you encounter one somewhere else

We have noticed there seems to be more aires installing chargeable service points, but all the ones we've come across take coins, and on one occasion even a credit card.

in your position requiring power I'd be looking for a municipal site close by in preference, or maybe even a generator failing that. ( as long as you don't park next to me with it running ) :D

Guest JudgeMental
But if you don't have a prospect of decent weather whats the point.......weather forecast for next week rubbish..so much for our cycling break in Padstow. Seriously thinking of not bothering. Looked at Loire but forecast there no better, and no time to go further south..certainly not enough to get away from these current conditions. I mean its June next week!

sambukashot - 2013-05-21 9:44 PM

£3 per dog per night!

And this is at site, and i bet the rules state your dog must be kept on a lead at all times!!!

what a rip off...

The more i read about these sites the more you put me of from ever wanting to visit another one!

My dog likes places like this

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/images/Nort-sur-Erdre-Aires.jpg

Wow!! Where is this?Erm... Just noticed the photo is name Nort-sur-Erdre-Aires

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-23 7:08 AM

But if you don't have a prospect of decent weather whats the point.......weather forecast for next week rubbish..so much for our cycling break in Padstow. Seriously thinking of not bothering. Looked at Loire but forecast there no better, and no time to go further south..certainly not enough to get away from these current conditions. I mean its June next week!

We had booked our ferry for last week, friends having a tough time finding some sun and warmth in France so we cancelled it, so still stuck here twiddling our thumbs, 23rd of May and apart from an overnight to get our cambelt done have not been anywhere, where are these dried up river beds, and being able to grow peaches here that we were promised we could do by the experts about 15 years or so ago. :-( I'm not a "no such thing as bad weather" merchant, I want some sun and warmth.

Guest 1footinthegrave
sean.clarke - 2013-05-23 7:55 AM

£3 per dog per night!

And this is at site, and i bet the rules state your dog must be kept on a lead at all times!!!

what a rip off...

The more i read about these sites the more you put me of from ever wanting to visit another one!

Just for Henry before he gets in first, here's another view of Nort-sur-Erdre, and yes we do use aires, but I would not be flagging this one up as a good example at all. I do think places should be shown warts and all, much easier to make a judgement if it's worth a look, I wouldn't be heading there thats for sure. :-S

1799782824_Nortsurerdre.jpg.3de20a58490d43c9b6d40d528d78e4eb.jpg

1footinthegrave - 2013-05-23 9:00 AM
sean.clarke - 2013-05-23 7:55 AM

£3 per dog per night!

what a rip off...

Just for Henry before he gets in first, here's another view of Nort-sur-Erdre, and yes we do use aires, but I would not be flagging this one up as a good example at all. I do think places should be shown warts and all, much easier to make a judgement if it's worth a look, I wouldn't be heading there thats for sure. :-S
You only just made that Dick, I have been their, fine if you get one of the two riverside spots but unlikely.

It's Hailstoneing outside Eddie

cheers

derek

lennyhb - 2013-05-22 5:57 PM

Blimey Henry has woken up, while you are still awake when are we going to see those photos?

Been away for a couple of days but will try and get round to it today. Like others have been fustrated this year with getting away, couple of months skiing but then sold the PVC, only two short trips since. Still away to Derby next week, am getting a towbar and scooter rack fitted on the way at Armitage towbars, anyone got experience of them? Then a wedding in Derby and will get a few days walking in the peak district. After that off to Somerset/Devon/Cornwall for about ten days ending at Sennen, where this thread came in. Will not get off to europe until September this year although a trip to Scotland is planned, does that count? Not as bothered as Eddie about sun, although it would be nice, can enjoy ourselves in most types of weather.

Guest JudgeMental
derek pringle - 2013-05-23 9:49 AM

It's Hailstoning outside Eddie

cheers

derek

Funny but just had a hailstone shower here in london as well!

Anyway..have Italy booked for summer. Spain for Sept/Oct and just booked flights for Sri Lanka for christmas/new year...so plenty of heat for us....just have to wait thats all *-)

You want decent weather, you have to vote with your feet and go and find it..pointless just heading for northern europe in the vain hope that it will be OK. 8-)

rupert123 - 2013-05-23 10:01 AM

lennyhb - 2013-05-22 5:57 PM

Blimey Henry has woken up, while you are still awake when are we going to see those photos?

Been away for a couple of days but will try and get round to it today. Like others have been fustrated this year with getting away, couple of months skiing but then sold the PVC, only two short trips since. Still away to Derby next week, am getting a towbar and scooter rack fitted on the way at Armitage towbars, anyone got experience of them? Then a wedding in Derby and will get a few days walking in the peak district. After that off to Somerset/Devon/Cornwall for about ten days ending at Sennen, where this thread came in. Will not get off to europe until September this year although a trip to Scotland is planned, does that count? Not as bothered as Eddie about sun, although it would be nice, can enjoy ourselves in most types of weather.

Welcome back Henry, now that is a much nicer response to your usual slagging off of those of us that don't stay on CC sites.

When we were young the the weather never bothered us nowadays we like a bit of sun and absolutely hate rain.

Off next week for a short 9 day break, have to take the van to Belgium for annual damp check (cheaper than getting done in UK even after paying for ferry ). As it's D Day week we were going to Normandy with current forecast may just head south, looks like we will have to go a long way.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Henry lives in one of the highest rainfall areas in Wales, just as well he doesn't mind it. ;-) and Scotland as a destination sounds like coals to newcastle..........................plus the midges. :D

Well at least the sun is shinning on the south coast at the moment, don't like the look of those clouds. (lol)

Did two weeks in Scotland in April a couple of years ago only two half days of light rain & no midge bites two days at 25/26 deg. and no camp sites to pay for (just for Henry).

He might have made the right choice last few days Scotland has been a lot warmer than the south east.

Guest 1footinthegrave
You should come to our neck of the woods, Snowdonia, Scotland scaled down, and a hundred miles shorter journey for you,why you could even pop in and see Henry. :D

Archived