Clubs, great value

rupert123

sshortcircuit - 2013-05-25 3:10 PM

You really are a case Rubert.

Your photographs

"Just to show typical pitch so not just a view.

2] Narbonne acsi site

3 St. Malo acsi site sorry about the washing, wife insists on doing it. "

Scrubby pitches surrounded by hedges. Well these are really amazing

Well I will give you that about the Narbonne grass but they do not get much rain down their and this was near the end of the season. Still a great pitch though, pretty big with individual shower/ toilet/water and waste, nice flowers all around and very private, what more do you want, something like a typical aire i expect, bit like this one, nice.

aire2.thumb.jpg.2f653bddb7930263b697eba1debef43b.jpg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

How do I put this to you gently H....

FYI that is an Aire, an entirely different proposition than a campsite, it's not really a holiday destination, but somewhere to stop on route, to park, to visit local attractions, or town it is attached to. Have a meal, a drink, and get your head down..Perfectly adequate for what it is.

Camping an entirely different proposition (and my first choice). But this constant head tennis could go on for ever...and your lamentably poor photos of campsites does nothing for your argument..But then if I lived where you live I would be easily impressed as well! :D

rupert123 - 2013-05-25 4:57 PM

Your photographs

2] Narbonne acsi site

Well I will give you that about the Narbonne grass but they do not get much rain down their and this was near the end of the season. Still a great pitch though, pretty big with individual shower/ toilet/water and waste, nice flowers all around and very private, what more do you want, something like a typical aire i expect, bit like this one, nice.

I think that's the same site we stayed in last June, is it La Nautique? Very nice, all you say plus restaurant, pool etc and the sea just the other side of their boundary.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-05-24 7:53 PM

pelmetman - 2013-05-24 7:33 PM

Blimey Rich 8-)...............how big is your van?........our outside furniture has to fold up ;-)

It's doll's house furniture Dave - clever photo makes it look big!!

Crikey you take a dolls house away with you? :D...........

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2013-05-25 5:39 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-25 5:25 PM

..But then if I lived where you live I would be easily impressed as well! :D

Have you been there? It's beautiful and they have a great campsite a few hundred metres down the road with widely spaced pitches, excellent facilities and stunning views (http://www.caeducampsite.co.uk/. )

Not likely!:D

have been up that way camping once or twice, that was enough to be honest. Haven't given up on living yet! :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave

Your photographs

2] Narbonne acsi site

Henry...................................

Imagine for a moment the picture you posted was an area setaside for say Cheltenham races, or any one of a number of events that happen all over the UK,and the organisers had the way with all to provide such a facility, would you comments have the same disdain I wonder, as I for one would use it, as we do when we visit Bromyard downs steam fair which can look a little like your picture if it's full, but a great weekend non the less, they call it a campsite, but it's just a field for the event.

Campsite Thursday – Saturday £9.00 per unit per night (Sunday night free but must leave by noon Monday). Camping before Thursday £5.00 per unit per night.

rupert123 - 2013-05-25 2:39 PM

...Well said Gwen. However would not get to upset with them, after all their are may-be 5 or 6 posters who use aires or free camp on a regular basis. Like all minority groups they have to shout very loud to make themselves heard...

To all, please note who is the loudest shouter on this forum when it comes to openly denigrating those who choose not to use campsites, and indeed who started this thread in the full knowledge that it's traditionally a very divisive subject.

And, in response to Gwen's post, please don't imagine that all people who choose not to use sites are truly scornful of those who do.

Though I personally don't like the notion of staying anywhere near other people, that's my own peculiar preference. Humour aside, I accept there's nothing intrinsically wrong with formal sites (and for these purposes I include 'aires' in that description), but when someone consistently attempts to marginalise and vilify those who choose not to use them, then it is only to be expected that those belittled will respond. Usually this is quite light-hearted but sadly some reveal true malevolence.

I'm getting fed up of this Henry character constantly picking at the same old holes and bad-mouthing people he doesn't even know for reasons that can only be truly known to himself, but I agree some of the responses reveal a less than sardonic response and show there are a$$holes on both sides of this particular chestnut.

My preference is most definitely not to cram into small spaces next to other people, others would hate to be out in the open countryside listening to nocturnal animals and watching the sky in utter solitude.

What's hard to grasp about the notion that both options are right depending on personal choice? Only the truly thick wouldn't get it.

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-25 1:53 PM

As a poster up-thread asserts “there is no right or wrong - just different!” but he then goes on to denigrate the choices made by what he calls “ex tuggers”:

“The best bit about sites is watching the ex tuggers set up camp - you can always tell - it takes them hours to set up with continual adjustments to rear legs, awning, windbreaks - and the appearance of yet more accessories from within their very own Tardis - and then best of all they walk to the tap time and again to replenish their tank with two one gallon cans - one in each hand, presumably for balance - or better still - a watering can! WOW how much fun is that!”

To which someone replies:

“Pleased I saw the light what a plonker I must have looked”

So laugh if you wish….

Thanks Gwen - I will go on laughing - using your chuckle muscles is good exercise!

Gee whiz Gwen you really are a humourless individual - for heavens sake lighten up a bit and do at least try to see the funny side of camping instead of sitting there just waiting for another opportunity to become offended.

Good summing up crinkly, we are probably a bit odd ball we like being out in the wild totally on our own but are quite happy crammed into a busy Aire but we are not so keen on the structured environment of a campsite UK ones in particular seam far worse than anywhere else.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-25 8:38 PM

...Well said Gwen. However would not get to upset with them, after all their are may-be 5 or 6 posters who use aires or free camp on a regular basis. Like all minority groups they have to shout very loud to make themselves heard...

To all, please note who is the loudest shouter on this forum when it comes to openly denigrating those who choose not to use campsites, and indeed who started this thread in the full knowledge that it's traditionally a very divisive subject.

And, in response to Gwen's post, please don't imagine that all people who choose not to use sites are truly scornful of those who do.

Though I personally don't like the notion of staying anywhere near other people, that's my own peculiar preference. Humour aside, I accept there's nothing intrinsically wrong with formal sites (and for these purposes I include 'aires' in that description), but when someone consistently attempts to marginalise and vilify those who choose not to use them, then it is only to be expected that those belittled will respond. Usually this is quite light-hearted but sadly some reveal true malevolence.

I'm getting fed up of this Henry character constantly picking at the same old holes and bad-mouthing people he doesn't even know for reasons that can only be truly known to himself, but I agree some of the responses reveal a less than sardonic response and show there are a$$holes on both sides of this particular chestnut.

My preference is most definitely not to cram into small spaces next to other people, others would hate to be out in the open countryside listening to nocturnal animals and watching the sky in utter solitude.

What's hard to grasp about the notion that both options are right depending on personal choice? Only the truly thick wouldn't get it.

Spot on.

Fairly simple I would have thought.

If you like Aires, just go to aires.

If you like sites, just go to sites.

If you just like to argue, go to Chatterbox.

pkc - 2013-05-26 7:09 AM

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-25 8:38 PM

Spot on.

Fairly simple I would have thought.

If you like Aires, just go to aires.

If you like sites, just go to sites.

If you just like to argue, go to Chatterbox.

You speak wisely.

Muswell - 2013-05-25 5:33 PM

Your photographs

2] Narbonne acsi site

I think that's the same site we stayed in last June, is it La Nautique? Very nice, all you say plus restaurant, pool etc and the sea just the other side of their boundary.

Yep thats it.

Have you been there? It's beautiful and they have a great campsite a few hundred metres down the road with widely spaced pitches, excellent facilities and stunning views (http://www.caeducampsite.co.uk/. )

I really would not take to much notice of Eddie, he seems to be obsessed with North Wales, once thought this was Jealousy am now convinced that is what it is. He does have to live in a London Suburb though so you really should have some sympathy for him, doubt he gets many tourist's where he lives, people just want to get away from it on holiday. The Snowdonia national park is standing room only this weekend so doubt they will miss him.

I must work out how to do the multiple quotation thing… but, in the meantime…..

Thanks Malc d and Rupert for your kind words.

Judgemental – I note your advice about a poster and will heed it!

Crinklystarfish:

You wrote:

“And, in response to Gwen's post, please don't imagine that all people who choose not to use sites are truly scornful of those who do.”

I don’t really think that of course. I was just trying to counter the idea that all site users are critical of those who don’t use sites.

And I suppose I was trying to reflect the idea that I consider myself to be a “camper” and to give a broad picture. I do enjoy reading of other ways of doing things, and then trying them out.

Lennyhb – I do, as it happens, in all honesty, share your thoughts about Club Sites to a degree. But, as we spend most of our camping days in mainland Europe, we tend nowadays to use Club Sites in the UK for, how can I phrase it, “reasons” not holidays. As an example, we stay at Baltic Wharf site in Bristol when we go to concerts at the Colston Hall.

After the relative relaxed lack of pitching rules on Continental sites, the way that units are lined up on CC sites is very dispiriting – car, caravan, awning. All lined up to the peg on the pitch. Looks like a caravan dealers forecourt! There are some heated discussions going on on the CC Forum atm about “new pitching rules”. Yet to encounter these. I am agog!

On one Club Site there was such a plethora of notices of the DO NOT variety that I was tempted to add a few of my own, on paper with the heading OFLAG IV-C, along the lines of “For you Tommy, the Holiday is over” or “Enjoyment is VERBOTEN!” But I desisted, thinking it might give the wardens a few more ideas.

Although generally C&CC Sites appear less ‘formal’ because of the mix of tents with caravans and motorhomes, I may well live to regret booking a week on one in August…. Maybe the perceptions re noise, busyness, kids on bikes will be a reality at that time??? It’s ages since we spent any time on a Club site at High Season.

After such a long membership, I reckon it’s time to start investigating CS and CL Sites. I cannot think why we have not already done so.

Cheers

Gwen

Nice to see you have lightened up Gwen and see our points of view, never a good thing to take forum posts too seriously often what is written comes over far stronger than intended.

For multiple quote just put "QUOTE in square brackets at the start of each quote and /QUOTE in square brackets at the end of each quote and it should come out as below. Just try it you can see the result before posting using the preview button.

aaaaaa

bbbbb

lennyhb - 2013-05-25 10:42 PM

Good summing up crinkly, we are probably a bit odd ball we like being out in the wild totally on our own but are quite happy crammed into a busy Aire but we are not so keen on the structured environment of a campsite UK ones in particular seam far worse than anywhere else.

Im an oddball as well then. I know exactly what you mean. Wilding good, Aires good, campsites - ok if empty! :-D

Anyway Im never going on a campsite again as I might run into Judge in his Mankini! That would be to much to cope with.

lennyhb - 2013-05-26 11:59 AM

Nice to see you have lightened up Gwen and see our points of view, never a good thing to take forum posts too seriously often what is written comes over far stronger than intended.

For multiple quote just put "QUOTE in square brackets at the start of each quote and /QUOTE in square brackets at the end of each quote and it should come out as below. Just try it you can see the result before posting using the preview button.

aaaaaa

bbbbb

Thanks. I'll give it a shot some time. *

BTW... I am not sure that I ever had "heavied up". Else-threads, posters have [seemingly] liked my merry quips!!!

Cheers

Gwen

* PS So do you then copy and paste the relevant bit from each post from which you wish to quote????

Gwendolyn - 2013-05-26 12:48 PM

BTW... I am not sure that I ever had "heavied up". Else-threads, posters have [seemingly] liked my merry quips!!!

Cheers

Gwen

....indeed, of those on this thread that need to lighten up, you're pretty low down the list. ;-)

* PS So do you then copy and paste the relevant bit from each post from which you wish to quote????

If you have a device that can run two "windows", then possibly the easiest way is to choose a base post to reply to (utilising the "Quote" button), add text as you wish, and then open the other post you also wish to incorporate bits of in a second window.

Use "Quote" on that also. In the resulting (quoted) text, you can edit, and then cut and paste to the other window as you wish (simply ensuring the text you paste continues to start and end with QUOTE and /QUOTE markers (with their square brackets).

In this way, you can easily retain the Author and date/time stamp(s) of the text you're quoting (without having to type them yourself).

Close the secondary window without posting, and repeat for other posts for as many individual quotes you wish to use and then post the "base" reply.

Hope the other half recovers quickly enough to enjoy your break.

Robinhood - 2013-05-26 1:09 PM

Cheers

Gwen

....indeed, of those on this thread that need to lighten up, you're pretty low down the list. ;-)

If you have a device that can run two "windows", then possibly the easiest way is to choose a base post to reply to (utilising the "Quote" button), add text as you wish, and then open the other post you also wish to incorporate bits of in a second window.

Use "Quote" on that also. In the resulting (quoted) text, you can edit, and then cut and paste to the other window as you wish (simply ensuring the text you paste continues to start and end with QUOTE and /QUOTE markers (with their square brackets).

In this way, you can easily retain the Author and date/time stamp(s) of the text you're quoting (without having to type them yourself).

Close the secondary window without posting, and repeat for other posts for as many individual quotes you wish to use and then post the "base" reply.

Hope the other half recovers quickly enough to enjoy your break.

Thank you kind sir. [i could do with lightening up in a wholly different - and literal - sense however!]

And thank you... he'll live! Improving by the day. His injuries look worse than they are now. My shattered nerves need a restorative though.

Cheers

Gwen

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2013-05-26 10:30 AM

I really would not take to much notice of Eddie, he seems to be obsessed with North Wales, once thought this was Jealousy am now convinced that is what it is. He does have to live in a London Suburb though so you really should have some sympathy for him, doubt he gets many tourist's where he lives, people just want to get away from it on holiday. The Snowdonia national park is standing room only this weekend so doubt they will miss him.

You really are a plank H...Yes may well be full of visitors, but most not stupid enough to want to live there!lol Who in their right mind would want to live somewhere as desolate, boring and wet as that! No wonder you get a away as much as possible :D

Plus that you thing a field with a tap in offers great value, sums it up really :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-05-26 1:48 PM

You really are a plank H...Yes may well be full of visitors, but most not stupid enough to want to live there!lol Who in their right mind would want to live somewhere as desolate, boring and wet as that! No wonder you get a away as much as possible :D

Plus that you think a field with a tap in offers great value, sums it up really :-D

Now now boys......handbags at 20 paces please. :D

BIB brought a daft grin to my face as I actually know of a 'site' in North Wales exactly like that. It's simply a farmers field with one solitary tap in the middle......and nothing else! But it gets packed on Bank holidays or over summer and the reason is simple. It's bordered on both sides by two privately owned sites with shower block, toilets and one has it's own Bar. Whilst the two private ones charge 'silly money' per night, Fred the Farmer used to charge three quid a night (haven't been for some time now) and that was for a Caravan!

Everyone on the farm field just used to wander across and use the Shower blocks......nobody bothered. Apparently both commercial sites have been desperately trying to buy this field for years, but the Farmer won't sell. No doubt he will once the right money is on the table.

If anyone wants to check it out it's at Dyffryn Ardudwy just a few miles out of Barmouth and this campsite here http://www.dyffryn-seaside-estate.co.uk/ is at the very end of the road. The cheapo 'one tap' site is right opposite.

Why pay silly money when you can pay peanuts and benefit from their facilities? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-26 1:48 PM

rupert123 - 2013-05-26 10:30 AM

Plus that you thing a field with a tap in offers great value, sums it up really :-D

I'm not sure why they all come flocking to us where we live in Aberdyfi Wales either. ;-) especially when I cannot get in one of the only three pubs here on a bank holiday, ;-) just wish they would stay in the big cities, far less boring.

359258015_Ourplace.jpg.dc29ddef9f7f70bf83d609b8cc77c551.jpg

156082286_ourplace2.jpg.d5f1ed1c42328d992388f3b928b96414.jpg

Archived