So many questions from a newbie!

Pinkemwenes

Pinkemwenes - 2013-05-22 12:40 PM

Gosh, so many patronising replies. Thanks for all your 'help' but really I think I need to find a forum that isn't full of total condescending know it alls.

I'm a newbie needing advice, not to be made to feel a total idiot, which I can assure you I am not.

It is rather sad that you seem to imply that all who have replied to your post (including those who tried to help) are "total condescending know it alls".

Guest JudgeMental
mel wood - 2013-05-22 2:02 PM

Gosh, so many patronising replies. Thanks for all your 'help' but really I think I need to find a forum that isn't full of total condescending know it alls.

I'm a newbie needing advice, not to be made to feel a total idiot, which I can assure you I am not.

It is rather sad that you seem to imply that all who have replied to your post (including those who tried to help) are "total condescending know it alls".

Don't bite Mel...sounds like yet just another wind up...we try and help on scant information and get this type of BS

Condescending know-it-alls would perhaps have homed in on the blasé nature of your 'plan' to expose yourselves and two infants to a potentially stressful and unhappy experience.

Instead many people took the time to give you good solid advice. I get a sense, though, that some were exasperated by your worrying naïvety.

It was, and is clear, that you are not an idiot, but equally clear you aren't that wise.

Nonetheless I hope you continue in your plans and that it all works out. It will certainly be memorable.

" Emmaline" - You posted here asking for advice.

People took time to respond.

It is your choice whether you take all, some, or none of that advice on board, and whether you then thank other members for their time and attempts to help, or criticise them for doing so.

Perhaps you could fill in your profile fully, so that other members knew more about you.

Your very lucky to be going off to Europe and taking the kids too :I can't afford the time (or the money ) at the moment and also find it a bit daunting, so will settle for trips at home for now : so please keep us informed on your escapades, and any tips etc: I always fancied a guided tour for the first time but they seem quite pricy good luck and Bon voyage pp.

Pinkemwenes - 2013-05-21 10:41 AMThe rough plan is through France to Italy, Austria, Spain, Portugal then a proper look through France on the way back. We have to go straight to Italy to drop a friend there.
 It seems to me that the amount of miles you intend to travel with young children will be stress full both for them and you, but that is your choice, as for  having no toilet facilities, just  buy a PORTA POTI it is a 2 part thing, the top section holds the flush water and the lower section is for the waste, easy to empty and hygienic, a simple curtain in the van will give some privacy, the Aires are very safe and no problems with Children as are the Stelplatzs and Sostas as they are called in  Germany and  Italy. just go for it the Children will love the experience , I know ours did  when we were in your position years ago.After all if the Children are with Mum and Dad and feel safe they will sleep anywhere when tired

I would have thought that, with a vehicle that has sleeping accomodation but "...with no running water or toilet facilities..." and carrying 2 adults and 2 very young children, making a few trial runs in the UK would be commonsense before venturing abroad for a 3 months trip.

Emmalene has not said such an experiment has been made but, if it had, it should surely have become obvious that basic toilet facilities (eg. a Porta Potti) would be a 'must' while travelling and that campsites, not aire-type locations with their normally limited facilities, would be the obvious choice for stopping-places. On that premise, the Caravan Club's European guidebooks

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your-holiday/overseas-holiday-planning/holiday-ideas/overseas-brochures-and-guides/caravan-europe-guide/

should be a godsend.

Would you people stop being so condescending.

Now, I'm thinking of setting off unaided to the South Pole.

I have some tennis rackets to tie to my sandals but I've just done a quick Google search and it looks like it might be cold.

I'm setting off on Monday, can anyone tell me where the shops are once I get there so I can buy some gloves.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-24 10:12 AM

I have some tennis rackets to tie to my sandals but I've just done a quick Google search and it looks like it might be cold.

I'm setting off on Monday, can anyone tell me where the shops are once I get there so I can buy some gloves.

Have a good trip.

:-D

July and August. Best place to be is south of France (not the coast), French or Italian Alps.

Plenty of good free Aires, Sostas and wild spots with a municiple thrown in every two or three days to get a proper shower. If your in or near the big mountains if it gets to hot its easy enough to get up a few thousand feet and cool down as well as experience some great adventure and scenery. I would forget Spain and Portugal peak season. Too hot. Avoid the coasts anywhere peak season to keep the costs down.

I think its doable and could be cheap. Our overnight costs on a six month tour last year including July and August were less that £3 a night. Some do it cheaper and of course you will need more sites that we do but if you stay away from the hotspots even in peak season you will find a cheap municple.

Just do it and you will look back a month in and wonder what you were worried about! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2013-05-24 10:20 AM

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-24 10:12 AM

Have a good trip.

:-D

Dont rush back! :D

Archived