Avtex tv users

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

my new avtex tv arrived today. its seems OK, neat size, reasonable picture. my problem is I watch a lot of stuff via USB but the avtex does not seem to recognise any of the files I am using..they work well enough with my main TVs so why not the Avtex...anyone know?

I have a WD live box which plays any file and is great, but its 230v and did not want to bring it away, (might have no choice now) but the whole idea of buying this 12v tv with USB was so i would be independent when of the grid. can use my inverter for WD box but thats a tangle of wires I did not want, and besides the point if USB dont play common files *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-05-21 1:18 PM

my new avtex tv arrived today. its seems OK, neat size, reasonable picture. my problem is I watch a lot of stuff via USB but the avtex does not seem to recognise any of the files I am using..they work well enough with my main TVs so why not the Avtex...anyone know?

I have a WD live box which plays any file and is great, but its 230v and did not want to bring it away, (might have no choice now) but the whole idea of buying this 12v tv with USB was so i would be independent when of the grid. can use my inverter for WD box but thats a tangle of wires I did not want, and besides the point if USB dont play common files *-)

Much will depend on what file formats you're using, but turning on the DivX option (which is often set to off by default) will increase the number of file formats recognised.

There are various "hidden" methods depending on the particular Avtex set. but on mine, hitting the source button, then typing "2580" whilst the source selection screen is displayed gives the hidden menu.

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-05-21 1:18 PM

Can't be sure Eddie, but a mate has one and I'm sure the video codec is Mpeg 2, ;-)

Probably a codec problem, had the same problem with my home Sony TV wouldn't play files over my network I had loaded onto my PC, converted them to a format that I knew worked (MP4) and all was well.

You need to find a file it will play then convert your existing ones to the same format. A lot of TV play MP4's OK so try that first.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Chaps...Robin I tried the DivX on option and still don't recognise the WD Live box through HDMI..So its going back tomorrow! thats the 2nd rubbish tv I have bought.... :-|

problem being, most of the big boys have stopped making less than 22 inch sets....

Try recording onto a formatted USB on the Avtex (format on the Avtex) then pop it into your PC. You will see the file format is something like .vis (away in van at present so working from a poor memory!) This is an mpeg2 file if you Google it. Going through the same process myself at the moment. I believe that Humax HD recorders use this file format and have a USB port that can take hard drives or sticks. The Avtex recordings play back perfectly on Android tablet.

Are your recordings on the USB mem. stick write protected? You may be able to convert them to play on your Avtex. Keep trying, they are good TVs and Avtex do have a help line if all else fails.

Guest JudgeMental
DuxDeluxe - 2013-05-21 7:06 PM

You would think that a company like Avtex could sort it out that different common file types are recognised by default......... I have an Avtex but have never tried playing USB - glad I didn't

The killer blow was when the HDMI would not recognise my wonder box the "WD live box" this incredible little device plays any files perfectly on my pioneer and panasonic TV's..Best £75 I have ever spent on a gadget

anyway..I thought I would keep the aerial and send just the case and tv back...when I opened the aerial the power lead is about 3 foot long...I mean how useless is that!

Maybe an eBay search,

HD Android 4.0 Media Player Online Media Streamer

would be an alternative to the WD drive ? The Media player does need a supply, but not sure if it is 12 or 9 Volt. It uses a 240V power pack down to ?? volts.and will run a USB HDD drive

Rgds

Hi, just so you know, the aerial power lead is for use on non-avtex tvs only. Your Avtex tv powers the aerial amplifier through he aerial lead itself but the option must be "turned on" in one of the menus. I don't use an Avtex tv but I do use the aerial, using the supplied power lead, it's really good. Wish I had an Avtex!!!

Guest JudgeMental
hymernova1 - 2013-05-21 8:45 PM

Hi, just so you know, the aerial power lead is for use on non-avtex tvs only. Your Avtex tv powers the aerial amplifier through he aerial lead itself but the option must be "turned on" in one of the menus. I don't use an Avtex tv but I do use the aerial, using the supplied power lead, it's really good.

Wish I had an Avtex!!!

No you dont :D

I kept the aerial to use with our old tv... luckily have a12 v extension lead :-D

Eddie

I know it's basic, but have you gone into the menu and selected the imput eg Memory stick, HDMI etc.

The instructions are pretty basic with these TV's/

Avtex does not select the different inputs automatically, you have to select them manually. At least that's how I do it on my Avtex. My HD media player works OK through the HDMI input.

Guest JudgeMental
JohnP - 2013-05-23 9:18 AM

Eddie

I know it's basic, but have you gone into the menu and selected the imput eg Memory stick, HDMI etc.

The instructions are pretty basic with these TV's/

Avtex does not select the different inputs automatically, you have to select them manually. At least that's how I do it on my Avtex. My HD media player works OK through the HDMI input.

Its gone back now John...Yes I did select HDMI and USB via menu. the tv not really a "smart tv" by any definition. but it is a nice size, with half decent sound and picture. no one seems to be making a smart tv les than 22 inch *-)

the files were there, but tv just could not open them and media box just not recognised..I had taken Robins advice re accessing the hidden menu as well.

I bought a small samsung tv recently and that played USB OK, but I was mis sold? that one as they told me it had HD freeview, so that went back as well! both my large screen panasonic and pioneer tvs play usb OK but have difficulties with the occasional file, and that is why I bought the WD Live media box, great bit of kit plays absolutely anything!

just will wait till something new comes out......can soldier on with old tv and laptop

Archived