Monte Gordo Algarve

AlandVal

We were there (at least I think it was at the place you refer to) in January.

The place is still there, but like several other of the old wild-camping places along that coast, they've put in some services (fresh water, dump point), hardstanding, and a little shed and barrier, and the chappie in the shed charges you (from memory) 4 euros a night now.

I think that included a couple of hours of hook-up a day too.

Still damn good value for pitching right beside the beach.

We stayed on the car park opposite the campsite in March. Strictly it is Villa Real but we always think of it as Monte Gordo. It is free therre but very crowded, toilet emptying is at the beach bar (€1, use the first toilet) and the tap is in the park as you come in.

Dumping on the beach by the small creek is evident despite there being a "Esgotos" 25 metres away.

H

Is that the area by the side of the hotel with the two bars or are you talking about Villa Real quayside where they have now completed an "Aire" ?

Can any of you say whether or not you can still park at Manta Rota or Altura ?

We were in Portugal for four Months from December till end March, wild  camping all the time, So  Castro Marin has a free Aire, pay for water, Villa Real d San Antonio ,  the wilding at the Quay side is now a pay Aire, 6 Euros a night, it has been tidied up new tarmac roads, new water points and dump stations installed, price includes a few hours on electric, from a gennie, lots of arguments as to who''s turn it is on hook up, not worth the bother having it IMO. Monte Gordo opposite the Campsite on the beach  is still OK for wilding but the toilet dump  has been blocked up and the Cafe now lets you dump your loo  in their facility but it is 2 Euros to do this, we found the water had been turned off  at the foot showers where we all used to get water , but I think you can get water at the Cafe too, not sure about that as we did not need water whilst there.Manta Rota  now has a pay Aire at the old place where we  all used to wild camp on the beach, again arguments  over electric,  supposed to be Wi Fi there too,Water at set times available in cost, Altura  was still OK to wild  at but Police  make sure you fit  in to a parking bay if using the  Tarmac parking areas,  the sandy  part is no problem.The water  was turned off as some cretin was seen washing his feet in the drinking fountain.pedras del Rei was still OK for Wilding as was Santa Luzia.We wilded at Olahao, toilet dump  escotas drain here.Quarteira has a new pay Aire, 2 Euros for the night, 2 Euros for electric and 2 Euros for water ,I was fined for wilding at Quarteira on the fish area, I had  several nights off and on there but the last time  after four nights, me and 50 other vans were fined 30 Euros , still cheap as I had about 30 nights there off and on, you must now use the pay Aire. 
  The biggest problem wilding in Portugal was the fact that some vanners  thought it OK to leave the squat and take their vans out  leaving chairs  etc to save THEIR PLACE, I fell out with  two separate   couples over this, I just moved their  stuff out of  the way and parked in the space,  big arguments on their return.,hope this helps, more info if required, Malc.

Malc, big thanks for that., good info...we left Villa Real in October last ,headed for Gib ,having been at Manta Rota & Altura, they were just setting up the Aire on the Quay.

Know what you mean about cretins with empty heads !

Heading that way for a few months leaving in August....stay safe, have fun & share a bottle if you come across us....or if i pop up on the other side ! ! !

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Don't think this can be the same place. When we were there 2 yrs ago we found what was just a clearing in the woods, approached via a small housing estate. There was a wooden bridge/footpath directly to the beach with a cafes/bars along the beach to the right. There were no services but the site was well used by long term stayers who disappeared every 2 or 3 days to Castro Kazim to fill up. Didn't see any English there!.

AlandVal - 2013-06-05 9:27 AM

Hi there

Don't think this can be the same place. When we were there 2 yrs ago we found what was just a clearing in the woods, approached via a small housing estate. There was a wooden bridge/footpath directly to the beach with a cafes/bars along the beach to the right. There were no services but the site was well used by long term stayers who disappeared every 2 or 3 days to Castro Kazim to fill up. Didn't see any English there!.[/quote

This place is still there as described in earlier post but they have been moving them on now and then I have heard. Never stopped there myself as the site opposite was cheap enough.

RD

Archived