Motorhome overturns on M6

pepe63xnotuse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Why are you quick to judge and make assumptions that it is the A frame to blame it may have been on a trailor as it is Yes a large car to tow.

I have driven with an A frame for many hundreds of miles and you do not know it is there and as for the stability it does not afect the handling of the motorhome one bit "unless the weight to ratio is wrong of course".

I may be wrong but I will wait for the facts before making a coment.

Mike.

Guest JudgeMental

I saw one horrendous accident with a large car and caravan, as it happened just a matter of yards in front of us...... the caravan started snaking and literally the tail was wagging the dog, it escalated and both car and van rolled right over into a ditch!

So don't anyone try and tell me that any type of towing is in anyway less then a precarious pursuit! Have seen loads of accidents involving towing over the years....

Hi Mick, I didn't say the A frame was to blame. From the picture the Megane was not on a trailer therefore probably on an A frame. The fact that a motorhome had an accident while it was towing a car on an A frame will not do the A frame cause any favours, that's all I said.

D.

So don't anyone try and tell me that any type of towing is in anyway less then a precarious pursuit! Have seen loads of accidents involving towing over the years....

Judgemental,

"Yes You are right!", the first rig that I had was a car/caravan and there were times when my backside twitched and the hair on the back of my head stood on end I hated towing a caranan.

Before I retired I was a hgv truck driver for a good many years on artic`s and they have a mind of there owne sometimes and there was not a month that went by that I saw artic`s/caravans/Wagon and drags e.t.c jacknknifing.

No they are not as safe as a rigid vehicle but you can not point out one single Type as the worst.

When it comes down to it the culprit is the person sitting behind the wheel most of the time who is to blame not the equipment.

Mike

Dave Newell - 2013-05-23 6:58 AMHi Mick, I didn't say the A frame was to blame. From the picture the Megane was not on a trailer therefore probably on an A frame. The fact that a motorhome had an accident while it was towing a car on an A frame will not do the A frame cause any favours, that's all I said.D.

Why should that be the case?  Unless there is something that says the 'towed car' was a contributing factor I don't see the relevence.

I'm not quite sure why some seem to be so "defensive" RE: the "towing a car" aspect?

Whether or not it was the direct "cause" or not,we can't know, as none of us saw it..but you don't need to be an "expert" to fathom out that dragging a car the size and weight of a Megan behind, what is a relatively lightweight vehicle,is not going help matters if/when things go t*ts up!

The following is taken from this BBC link :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-22629314

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

A Lancashire Police spokesman said the camper van, which was travelling in the middle lane, came close to colliding with the Honda, which was in the third lane.

Both vehicles took evasive action but the Renault ended up hitting the reservation and the Honda with the camper van overturning, police said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit to say: This of cause also applies to caravans etc.... ;-)

RogerC - 2013-05-23 1:36 PM...Why should that be the case?  Unless there is something that says the 'towed car' was a contributing factor I don't see the relevence.

Because many people are lazy thinkers and won't let facts stand in the way of them making up their minds.Dave's point is clearly about perceptions, and he is correct.

Guest JudgeMental
gocro - 2013-05-23 8:28 AM

Picture from BBC website.

Glad no one was traveling in the back.

Jeez...is that the van or the tow car?

Dave Newell - 2013-05-23 6:02 PM

Thanks crinkly, at least you could see my point. Perhaps others could try reading what I write properly before jumping to conclusions.

D.

Do be realistic Dave. If that were to happen the whole forum would collapse! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2013-05-23 7:30 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-05-23 6:02 PM

Thanks crinkly, at least you could see my point. Perhaps others could try reading what I write properly before jumping to conclusions.

D.

Do be realistic Dave. If that were to happen the whole forum would collapse! :-D

Good point Brian and in all fairness I have been guilty of speed reading a post and getting the answer wrong several times before now.

D.

crinklystarfish - 2013-05-23 2:01 PM
RogerC - 2013-05-23 1:36 PM...Why should that be the case?  Unless there is something that says the 'towed car' was a contributing factor I don't see the relevence.

Because many people are lazy thinkers and won't let facts stand in the way of them making up their minds.Dave's point is clearly about perceptions, and he is correct.

I agree there are those who will jump on all and anything in order to try and justify their 'objections' to, amongst other things, 'A' frames.  Now I understand your comment was intended to highlight this I agree although I suspect that you, like me can see no correlation there unless of course the 'authorities' find it was a contributory factor.

• 1 month later...

Just a brief update on this story, it turns out the motorhomers are customers of ours (I'm pleased to be able to say "are" and not have to use the past tense). I know because the male party came in to see me today about having some work done on his replacement motorhome. Both he and his wife suffered some quite serious injuries and he has only been out of hospital a week or so although he has to go back to Preston hospital twice a week still. His wife is still in hospital but has been transferred to Telford at least.

It seems the incident was caused by the other party, a car in the outside lane. Apparently the police have tracked both vehicles back for up to 8 miles prior to the accident on CCTV and the motorhome driver has been told he did nothing wrong at all. The car had been in lane three for 7 miles prior to the collision and as he overtook the motorhome veered into the side of it and causing it to roll three times, hence the mangled pile that is shown on the transporter, Fire Service had to cut both him and his wife from the cab.

There is no more information I can give on a public forum but I thought a few may be interested to hear that no one died and all parties are recovering.

The yellow Megane was on an A frame behind the motorhome and that was written off too, Police do not seem interested in the A frame towing of the Megane.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-07-16 3:48 PM

..I thought a few may be interested to hear that no one died and all parties are recovering.

D.

At least that's some good news for them....

...and thankfully they weren't carrying anyone in the back!

Seeing photos/footage like that,of a shattered MH body,does make you think........ :-S

nowtelse2do - 2013-07-16 4:12 PM

Thanks Dave, that's good news.

Was on the M62 traveling East on Saturday, a Range Rover pulling a caravan past me doing between 75 to 80 mph. I was doing slightly over the limit. I would have thought that pulling a van might be a bit too fast.

Dave

That is a frequent problem with modern 4x4s they have the power in reserve to pull a caravan at high dangerous speeds.

yeti - 2013-07-16 4:48 PM

nowtelse2do - 2013-07-16 4:12 PM

Thanks Dave, that's good news.

Was on the M62 traveling East on Saturday, a Range Rover pulling a caravan past me doing between 75 to 80 mph. I was doing slightly over the limit. I would have thought that pulling a van might be a bit too fast.

Dave

That is a frequent problem with modern 4x4s they have the power in reserve to pull a caravan at high dangerous speeds.

But surely this is not a problem with the 4X4 but a problem with the driver's intelligence level? I''ve seen big cars towing big caravans and other trailers at ridiculous speeds on many occasions and I've seen the aftermath of when it goes wrong (Discovery on hard shoulder of M40 and his twin axle caravan on its side astride the central reservation with all their worldly goods and clothes scattered over a big area) not the car's fault but the driver's for going to fast.

In the meantime this thread is not about towing, there is nothing at all to suggest that towing the car had anything to do with the collision other than the Honda driver saying he thought the Megane was "following the motorhome way too close"

D.

Certainly I do agree with you Dave vis-a-vis drivers intelligence levels,however some rely on the technology too much,rather than improve their driving skills and perception. But the speed limits for towing vehicles are there for a reason.

Dave Newell - 2013-07-16 5:45 PM.............In the meantime this thread is not about towing, there is nothing at all to suggest that towing the car had anything to do with the collision other than the Honda driver saying he thought the Megane was "following the motorhome way too close" D.

Ah, now I understand. So he thought he should knock the motorhome out of the Megane's way! How thoughtful. :-D

Archived