Motorhome overturns on M6

pepe63xnotuse

Muswell - 2013-07-18 5:23 PM

A lot of towns in France have the same problem of dying town centres, even though parking is free. The reason is that there is a huge supermarket/hypermarket just outside the town with more choice, lower prices and easier parking. We have known one town very well for 34years and have seen it go from a thriving local centre to a rather sad place where only the pharmacy, butcher and patisserie seem to be doing OK.

One thing to note though is that France is still about 20-30 years behind the UK in that a lot of the shops still close for lunch, usually between 90-120 mins, whereas a lot of the supermarkets remain open - if I lived and worked in France and only had my lunch period to get shopping etc, guess where I'd go! :-S

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
George Collings - 2013-07-18 10:11 PM

Somewhere along its way this thread appears to have been involved in a multiple accident with some other free range threads and now resembles the collision on page 1

It is well known that a topic raised on any internet forum will, after 3 pages, morph into the most contentious topic........in the case of this forum, parking.

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-07-18 8:45 PM

..But for balance 1foot',didn't you once post, to complain about cheeky buggers pitching their MHs outside your house?...getting their camping chairs and gawping in your window etc ?... :-S

Yes you are quite correct, but that was in the context of being discreet,many vans would stop and have the odd night on the car park and would be discreet about it, but it was inevitable that when some users were getting out bbqs, tables and chairs etc, and many would park in the coach bay,use the outside tap at the village hall without permission, and dump the contents of their cassettes in the small public loo, some would stay for days on end, and it did not go down too well with some people, they of course complained to our councillors .

I often went over and tried to explain what their actions were likely to lead to, the few spoiling it for the many, so it was a self fulfilling prophecy really, our main pay and display car park though continues to allow m/homes to park, but for how long is anyone's guess.

To be fair you see the same thoughtless behaviour on many an aire, awnings rolled out, tables and chairs, that can and often do deny someone a space just to park up for the night and get some rest, it's always the 1 percenters that spoil things for the majority IMO

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-19 4:44 AM

pepe63 - 2013-07-18 8:45 PM

..But for balance 1foot',didn't you once post, to complain about cheeky buggers pitching their MHs outside your house?...getting their camping chairs and gawping in your window etc ?... :-S

Yes you are quite correct, but that was in the context of being discreet,many vans would stop and have the odd night on the car park and would be discreet about it, but it was inevitable that when some users were getting out bbqs, tables and chairs etc, and many would park in the coach bay,use the outside tap at the village hall without permission, and dump the contents of their cassettes in the small public loo, some would stay for days on end, and it did not go down too well with some people, they of course complained to our councillors .

I often went over and tried to explain what their actions were likely to lead to, the few spoiling it for the many, so it was a self fulfilling prophecy really......

Mornin' 1foot'

But isn't what you've just said there, just pretty much what those of us who don't perceive the UK to be quite as "anti" MH as some on here , have been saying all along?....

In that, some people will/do take the p*ss..so much so, that the residents/locals complain..and then the councillors act..!?

It just seems such an obvious chain of events.... :-S

These "bans" aren't just thought up on a whim and pulled out of thin air, are they...they come about because of previous experiences.

The same reasoning can be applied to many(all!) things..If folk don't behave within certain accepted parameters, then rules get brought in..and unfortunately in many cases, these rules will also affect people who'd been "behaving" themselves in the first place...;-)

That's how things work....

Although, of cause I dare say there'll still be some on here who prefer to think of themselves as some sort of a persecuted minority.... (lol)

(Damn it!..I've been drawn back into yet another futile "MH parking in the UK" discussion... *-) (lol) )

Guest 1footinthegrave
Let's put it into perspective,one of the number one complaints our community council receive is dog fouling, as dog ownership is so widespread they know that if they totally banned dogs from the beach and sand dunes the result would be disastrous to the local economy, but you can bet your life if dog owners were a small minority they would be banned quicker than you could blink, just like the few motorhomes that seem to be the whipping boys of many a council, I've said it a million times, go down our car park at the end of the day visited by the great British public in their cars and see the disgusting amount of litter, discarded bbq, take away cartons and all the rest and they would be banned too, but of course then there would be no one left to ban would there. ?

Oh..I totally agree about littering and the dog fouling(..parts of the "wooded" path that runs past us, can be horrible at times)...

But I'm not getting drawn into that one....

(..besides, it'll save the dog owners on here the hassle of having to change their avatar, to a pic of their pooch! *-) (lol) )

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-07-19 9:46 AM

Oh..I totally agree about littering and the dog fouling(..parts of the "wooded" path that runs past us, can be horrible at times)...

But I'm not getting drawn into that one....

(..besides, it'll save the dog owners on here the hassle of having to change their avatar, to a pic of their pooch! *-) (lol) )

I think we have the monopoly of the the responsible dog owners on here, it's the others ( as always ) ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
yeti - 2013-07-19 5:06 PM

What has all this drivel got to do with an accident on the motorway-lock this thread now-what a waste of cyberspace!

Yes the irony, you just added to it. >:-)

Archived