Satellite settings

Mickydripin

Hi all,

While checking my TV before I go away I was having problems and was it was saying No signal I have got a Trackvision R4 dome.

I contacted Conrad Anderson where I purchased it from and even though they were busy they managed to fit me in to have a look.

All in all it cost me £45 for the reset and about £30 for Diesel and they said that there could be more changes soon this is not covered by my warranty so it will mean another trip and another £75 to pay.

Check your Satallite now before you go away so that you are not disapointed.

Where can we check when they are going to change again?.

Mike

"Where can we check when they are going to change again?."

That is not easy as the powers that be are usually a bit tight lipped about changes to their frequencies. (BBC sometimes gives advance warnings).

Astra 2F is in operation already and has Channel 5 regions and 5 US etc plus some ITV and a couple of BBC HD channels on it.

Astra 2E will be launched (probably) in July and after some testing will take over some more of the channels which are currently on 1 of the older satellites in the 28.2 degree position. My guess is that at that time Astra 1N will leave 28 degrees and be moved to 19 degrees. That will produce quite a few changes as it currently broadcasts most of the "Freesat" and "Free to Air" channels to the UK. It will also be at this point that much of the programming will become unavailable to places like Spain and Portugal without the use of colossal dishes.

Astra 2G is due for launch (probably) in early 2014 and produce even more changes.

The changes are being made for 2 reasons.

1) The older Astra 2A and B satellites are now beyond their sell by dates ( A broadcast satellite has a useful life of about 15 years)

2) The satellites are being replaced with transponders which have narrower "Spot" beams as there is the possibility, with so much broadcast bandwidth becoming so busy, of "cross talk" between satellites broadcasting on very similar frequencies. This happened a few years ago when new satellites were brought in to operation at the 26 deg position supplying programming to N Africa. They were using similar frequencies to the Sky channels. At that time many automatic dishes were locking on to Arabsat instead of Sky when anywhere south of the Pyrenees.

Forgive me for not understanding but, I thought that a self seeking satellite receiver dish sought out the signal from the satellite relative to where you are parked and that it did so by scanning the sky all round and recognising and locking onto the chosen satellite's signal?

The digibox then shows all the channels that the particular satellite locked onto has available to view from which you choose the ones you want?

Why then do some need to be 'updated' when a satellite moves position or is replaced?

Or have I misunderstood?

Hi Rich

You are almost there. An automatic sat receiver looks for a pre set frequency so that it can recognize which of the hundreds of satellites up there it is trying to find. If that frequency is no longer being broadcast or it finds another satellite broadcasting the same frequency close to where it expects to find the satellite it is seeking (as in the case with the Arabsat problem) it can become confused.

If the frequency your equipment is looking for is changed when satellites are replaced then you need to put a new frequency in the software for it to look for.

The smaller type Oyster boxes which don't have their own tuner built in need to be updated in these circumstances but those made in the last few years can be updated without returning the boxes as they can update by getting a download from Astra 1 on a frequency which doesn't change. The larger one's are dependent on the particular channel you are searching for and if it doesn't find it you can always search for another channel on the same sat.

We have a Maxview auto dome....... So far no problems tracking, but thanks for the warning.

-----

I was told to tune my sat TV to sky news leave on for twenty seconds or so and if you lose the signal then you may have a problem.

Then do the same again tune to QVC then to chanel 4+4 if your channel`s stay tuned you may be OK.

I do not know if the same applies to other makes of Sat domes or dishes.

Mike

Archived